Answered

9.2 Update Question - Manage options greyed out

• 11 October 2018
  • 22 replies

Updated to 9.2 but now the "manage" options are greyed out. I can't find any of my imported playlists. I am running a iMac OS X 10.10.5. I can't find any related resolutions so looking for help. Submitted diagnostics # 1769237365.
icon

Best answer by John B 13 October 2018, 11:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Same thing happened to me after I updated to Sonos 9.2. I am running OS X 10.10.5. Also I can only access EQualizer in Preferences Menu.

You need OSX 10.11 or higher for full functionality now. You need to update your OS (assuming that is possible for your Mac).

But 'full functionality' has been significantly reduced in the desktop controller.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300/index1.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
New system requirements:-
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126?language=en_US
So is there anyway to downgrade the sonos?
The system was working great for me until it prompted me to update. Now I cannot use it at all.
I cannot update my server machine, it's running 10.10.5 which i need for work, too many features have been removed from later OS's
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Downgrading isn't supported. About the only solution is to get a supported mobile device and use it for the things the desktop controller can no longer do. A cheap Android tablet stuck in a dock on your desktop may be the most convenient. An Amazon Fire tablet may be the cheapest.
Thanks Stanley, but my 150GB music library is on the Mac Pro and even the iPhones can't access it.
I just recently came on board. At least this happened before I purchased any more Sonos gear, I may have to ditch the sonos and find a better alternative.
It just seems odd that Sonos would release an automatic update that would break a system without warning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The music library shouldn't have been impacted by these changes, you may have a different issue.

I'd call Sonos or at least try one of their 24x7 support options like Twitter to see if they can help you. Forum staffing isn't 24x7 and kind of spotty even during business hours.
Yer I'll give them a yell tomorrow.
Music would initially play after the update but i couldn't update the library (Sonos manage menu greyed out).
I googled supported systems, and either misread or found incorrect info that implied 10.10 or later was ok. After restarting everything and still having no joy, I uninstalled then reinstalled (and chose use existing setup). Thats when the library had all disappeared. Sonos manage menu still greyed out.
I have this problem too. I am not going to buy a new mac just to get back these features. Very bad of Sonos to force an upgrade on users which then is not fully compatible. Why oh why are we forced into upgrading? I did not want any new features and WAS happy with the way everything worked, not any more
I have this problem too. I am not going to buy a new mac just to get back these features. Very bad of Sonos to force an upgrade on users which then is not fully compatible. Why oh why are we forced into upgrading? I did not want any new features and WAS happy with the way everything worked, not any more No desktop controller now has these features. So it would be no use if you were to buy a new mac anyway
So, John B, no desktop controller has the feature to upgrade the music library? So how does that work then?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can configure music library from the mobile device pointing it properly to the desktop location.
Yes Chris, but there is no feature to update the library and access new playlists available from the mobile device. Or if there is, then I can't find it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Update library (android) is under More, Settings, Manage Music Library, Update Music Index Now.

Playlists are under My Sonos

I don't know who this new controller was designed for but it sure wasn't me or the wife as we hate it.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
iPhone v9.2 manage music library greyed out! Almost 2K$ speakers that DID WORK FINE now broken!

Why must speakers be upgraded along with controller if I HAVE NO INTENTION OF WASTING MORE $ on a system WITH NO LEGACY SUPPORT?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Sonos has no legacy support! 2K$ system was working fine; now broken by forced “updates . iPhone Sonos 9.2 can’t manage music library.

Buying new computer system is not a reasonable solution for problems your company created!
You mean your iPhone is running iOS v9.3.5, that is why the installed Sonos app is partially supported.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
No my phone is running iOS 12.1.1

If I want to update the controller it wants to update my controller and speakers.
The last time I did that it pooched my entire system.

I don’t have any new speakers, with my disappointment in this company I won’t add any new speakers, so why I must I be forced into updating speakers to update the controller?
No my phone is running iOS 12.1.1

If I want to update the controller it wants to update my controller and speakers.
The last time I did that it pooched my entire system.

I don’t have any new speakers, with my disappointment in this company I won’t add any new speakers, so why I must I be forced into updating speakers to update the controller?

Next time... this time it's too late because the Sonos app has already been updated.

How to disable automatic downloads and app updates on iOS devices
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I found a workable inexpensive solution to my managing music problem with the updated Sonos controller 9.2

I purchased a third-party app called SonosPhone, there’s also a version for SonosPad, and it has a means to manage iTunes music which includes playlists.

I didn’t have to buy any expensive hardware, or new computer systems, or throwaway phones.

It cost me $2.99 for a copy for the app for my iPhone. I’m also going to get one to use on my iPad. And then I am going to never update my Sonos controller system again because it’s working fine and I wish it to stay that way.
[...] I didn’t have to buy any expensive hardware, or new computer systems, or throwaway phones.
What in heaven's name are you talking about? Your iPhone is running the most recent iOS version!
You can configure music library from the mobile device pointing it properly to the desktop location.

That's fine, but the File path and the File Share formatting do not match, consequently the iOS app still cannot remote connect to the hard disc where my media is stored (path is \\computer\sharename whilst file sharing is afp://computer/sharename, which the iOS app won't accept as a file path)