9.0 Version App Keeps Freezing

Userlevel 2
Badge
Since updating my controllers to 9.0, the app keeps freezing up on my iOS devices. I have to close the app and stop it from running in the background before starting it up again. It will briefly work again before freezing again. I have deleted the app, shut down my device and reinstalled it. Still have the same issue. Anyone else having the same experience? And will this be fixed?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

99 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I think I can recreate this issue at will now. Just had another go and once again the ipad app gets in a mess and won’t stop my lounge zone playing and it thinks it’s set the office zone playing. If I change rooms to the office zone it tells me it can’t connect to it -even though it’s displaying it and the CR200 controller can control it with no problem.

If I then change rooms back to the lounge, the ipad app will then successfully stop it playing.

I use the Browse option to select a radio station to play.
Then bring up the now playing part of the screen.
Then stop playback
Then leave the ipad and let it go into sleep mode itself
Later fire up the ipad and press play on the sonos app which is still showing full screen from the last session
Now press stop and it doesn’t stop playback of the lounge zone
I then have to change rooms a couple of times for it to then get back in sync
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

Due to the nature of this issue it would be best to have our phone team take a look as they have more tools at their disposal and can troubleshoot this live. Please give us a call, our phone number and hours can be found here.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
If someone does find a solution after speaking to Sonos please post it here (or somewhere). Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Hi folks,

Due to the nature of this issue it would be best to have our phone team take a look as they have more tools at their disposal and can troubleshoot this live. Please give us a call, our phone number and hours can be found here.

My problem isn't on a phone, it's on an iPad. I'm finding the Sonos system at the moment is not fit for purpose as you've done away with my CR100 and left me with an iPad app that is not reliable and prone to starting zones playing without my knowledge. I tried the Android app on my Samsung phone but that just drained the battery so I uninstalled it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

My problem isn't on a phone, it's on an iPad. I'm finding the Sonos system at the moment is not fit for purpose as you've done away with my CR100 and left me with an iPad app that is not reliable and prone to starting zones playing without my knowledge. I tried the Android app on my Samsung phone but that just drained the battery so I uninstalled it.

I'm not aware of any issue affecting all iPad controllers, mine works fine, for example. Either way, our phone team should be able to help.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Hi folks,

I'm not aware of any issue affecting all iPad controllers, mine works fine, for example. Either way, our phone team should be able to help.

Mine used to work fine until some time this year and then the iPad app became worse to use requiring more presses to do simple things and now it’s unreliable and could be dangerous if I don’t know a zone player has been playing constantly for days without me knowing. Not only is it using electricity over all those days it’s also potentially making the ZP90 very hot.

I’m coming to the conclusion I don’t want to use this system any more.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same issue with 9.0. App freezes when phone sleeps, after switching to a different app then back to Sonos, and while doing something in the app itself without switching or sleeping. Submitted diagnostics: Your confirmation number is: 915440005.
Using iPhone 8 with 209GB available memory.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue with 9.0. App freezes when phone sleeps, after switching to a different app then back to Sonos, and while doing something in the app itself without switching or sleeping. Submitted diagnostics: Your confirmation number is: 915440005.

Thanks for sending in the report. I don't see why the app is freezing, but it does look like your phone is connecting to a different wireless network than your Sonos units. Do you have it set to connect to multiple networks? It's possible that the app is freezing when the phone switches networks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
It's happened again on mine. Same as above. Let iPad go into sleep mode and then wake up and the Sonos app has lost track of what is playing. Whilst I was searching through the menus for the submit diagnostic option it came up with the splash screen over the top of the app as if it was reloading it and then it did know that the lounge was playing and allowed me to stop play there.

Diagnostic code is 1524332199
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It's happened again on mine. Same as above. Let iPad go into sleep mode and then wake up and the Sonos app has lost track of what is playing. Whilst I was searching through the menus for the submit diagnostic option it came up with the splash screen over the top of the app as if it was reloading it and then it did know that the lounge was playing and allowed me to stop play there.

Thanks for the report. It's not clear why this is happening from the report. Please reach out to our phone team who can take a look at this live. Our phone number and hours are found here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thanks for the report. It's not clear why this is happening from the report. Please reach out to our phone team who can take a look at this live. Our phone number and hours are found here.

Those phone hours mean that I've not been able to do so yet because of work commitments!

Edit - I'm lucky that I don't work 5 days a week now but I've no idea how you would expect someone who has a full time job to be able to phone up to have a live session with your phone support team when they are only available during normal work hours.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for sending in the report. I don't see why the app is freezing, but it does look like your phone is connecting to a different wireless network than your Sonos units. Do you have it set to connect to multiple networks? It's possible that the app is freezing when the phone switches networks.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The phone is not switching networks. I have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz from the same router. I have tried using the Sonos app on both and the same this happens. Nothing has changed with my network setup. I have had Sonos devices for years and have never had this issue, not until update 9.0.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I had along session on the phone with Sonos support today but I don’t have any kind of solution as yet. Interestingly though, whilst I was trying things out during the support call, the Sonos app appeared to crash. It just disappeared from the screen completely and I had to bring it back up again. It has since done it again tonight, so I sent another diagnostic into them.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I had along session on the phone with Sonos support today but I don’t have any kind of solution as yet. Interestingly though, whilst I was trying things out during the support call, the Sonos app appeared to crash. It just disappeared from the screen completely and I had to bring it back up again. It has since done it again tonight, so I sent another diagnostic into them.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks. Also, like yours, mine has also shut itself down but then restarted itself. I can also control it from the controls on the Sonos device itself, while the app is frozen.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Because of the problems I've had with the ios app, I installed the app on my Android phone and strangely enough that has started up on the office zone 3 times yesterday rather than the lounge zone that it was on when I closed the app down.

I've kept support updated again but it's gone very quiet from the Sonos support end!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're having app freezes, please reach out to our phone team who will investigate the issue and escalate your case if needed. You can find our phone number and hours in your region here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I already have done and they couldn’t tell me what the problem was. I’ve since sent a few more emails to them giving more information but heard absolutely nothing back the last time I checked my email a couple of hours ago.
Hi
I'm having the same problem with an iphone 8 plus and an ipad. It's only been happening for the last few weeks. Once I've chosen a track and volume on the Sonos app, when I open another app and go back to Sonos (to change track or volume), it's frozen. I have to close the app, turn off the phone and open the app again. Very frustrating!
Can I suggest that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

This isn't normal behaviour at all. I use both iPad and iPhone to control my system all the time.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I’ve replied on other threads with similar problems to this but forgot about this one. My problems were with both ios and Android apps which kept opening up pointing to the wrong zone and occasionally appeared to have frozen - it took a while for it to get the status of whichever zone it was supposed to be controlling. I’ve had confirmation that there is a software bug which is responsible for the problems I’m having.
I have the same problem, both on an iphone X with ios 12 beta and iphone 8 plus on the latest ios11.
I'm having the same issue on iOS 11.4 on an iPhone 7. The app freezes EVERY SINGLE TIME I USE IT. Another used had mentioned that it happens when they navigate away from the app and come back. That may be the case with me as well. I'm going to try uninstalling and re-installing it. Also going to do the iOS upgrade to 11.4.1. Who knows - maybe that will help.

App version 9.0. Build 44255050

Controller on my Windows PC works fine. Just the phone controller is wrecked.

My Sonos has been buggy for ages. I have been a loyal customer for a long time but I've slowly lost faith in the reliability of the system. I realize that it's highly dependent on wifi network but I have other wifi devices on the same network that just don't have nearly as many problems.
Have you tried calling in to discuss the issue with Sonos? I'd think they might be able to help you troubleshoot the problem.

I happen to have an iPhone 7 Plus, on 11.4.1 (15G77), and don't have any issues when I open the app, but that's not quite the same hardware/firmware.

Other devices have more memory on them and aren't quite as reliant on a constant stream like Sonos is. Consequently, Sonos is slightly more sensitive to dropouts. I found on my local system that a really good thing to do was assign them reserved IP addresses in my router's DHCP table, which solved a seemingly random issue I was having with speakers dropping off my network. YMMV, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to set up for all your devices, not just your Sonos, and would go a long way to cleaning up your local wifi signal.

That, and checking for what channels others around you are using, as recommended in the wifi interference FAQ. I found when I moved recently that I needed to change, as my new neighbors had pretty strong signals that were stomping on mine. And a while ago I ended up replacing an older microwave, as it was leaking RF when it was in operation which was killing my kitchen speakers.

But I think you might be much happier if you were to talk directly to someone on the phone. Give them a diagnostic to work from, and they may be able to guide you to a better wifi.