9.0 Update - Sonos One NOT discoverable via HomeKit for Siri integration

Userlevel 2
Badge
As the title suggests I have recently updated to v9.0 but the feature I am most looking forward too trying (playing apple music via Siri voice commands to my Sonos One) does not seem to work. I can open the apple music app on my phone, select the sonos one as a speaker to airplay2 and hit play - that now works ok. Cheers Sonos ! ?

BUT The Sonos blog guide indicated that if I were to add the airplay 2 enabled sonos product (sonos One in my case) to my homekit app as an accessory this would then allow Siri voice commands via mu phone. I have followed those steps to add my sonos one but it seemingly leads to nothing - I open the home kit app, select accessory and add without code but then the speaker does not appear. I have tried pressing pairing button on the unit.

Am I missing something here??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Same issue for me as well. Sonos One not playing nice with Airplay
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
make sure your speakers and controllers are up to date ie version 9.0
and you are running ios 11.4 or higher

in the home app press the plus icon in the top corner.
now tap add accessory
then tap don't have a code or can't scan? the speakers shoud appear here.
you need to add speakers one by one
then give them names
then you can use siri to play from apple music
or airplay direct to your sonos speakers from all apps that support airplay

it should work because i was able to add my speakers to the home app
Thx but speakers not appearing in home app, after I tap no code or can’t scan. Also, in Sonos app under new airplay setting option, it says no compatible speakers found. I have 2 Sonos One speakers (with Alexa). Plz help. Thx so much.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
try unplugging your speakers and then plug them back in wait for them to boot up then try again
I have the same problem— updated to 9.0 and Airplay not appearing to work—not happy!
None of this works— Play 1 speakers only 18 months old and for this not to work is completely unacceptable— will take to Twitter to publicise this short coming from a supposedly reputable company like Sonos
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
airplay 2 is only compatible with sonos one(not play:1) . play:5 gen2, playbase and the beam. and other sonos speakers if grouped with one of the compatible speakers
Userlevel 2
Badge
make sure your speakers and controllers are up to date ie version 9.0
and you are running ios 11.4 or higher

in the home app press the plus icon in the top corner.
now tap add accessory
then tap don't have a code or can't scan? the speakers shoud appear here.
you need to add speakers one by one
then give them names
then you can use siri to play from apple music
or airplay direct to your sonos speakers from all apps that support airplay

it should work because i was able to add my speakers to the home app

All speakers updated to 9.0
Running ios 11.4.1 on iPhone 7

Followed instructions outlined for adding speaker within HomeKit (tapping on plus icon in the top corner, then tap add accessory, then tap don't have a code or can't scan) but Sonos One speaker does not ever appear on the next screen. Not for a second, not once.

I have unplugged and plugged Sonos One back in.

I have also uninstalled the HomeKit app and re-installed. Still same issue of adding the Sonos One to the accessory section of HomeKit as outlined above.

The Sonos One is recognised as an airplay2 speaker within the apple music app though so it is obviously working on the network with the Airplay2 protocol...

Anyone else experiencing this issue or can recommend a fix to try?
None of this works— Play 1 speakers only 18 months old and for this not to work is completely unacceptable— will take to Twitter to publicise this short coming from a supposedly reputable company like Sonos

And you’ll be a laughing stock for not having read the multitude of published information from Sonos. Play:1s don’t support AirPlay. Tweet away...
Just to try to make things (perhaps) a little clearer to anyone here who may have misread some of the Sonos literature concerning their purchased Sonos devices... my understanding of the current Sonos AirPlay situation is this...

AirPlay audio on Sonos, works when you have one of these 'AirPlay Master' controller devices on your local Sonos Household network:

Sonos One ... ('stand-alone', 'grouped' or 'paired', but not set as a surround in a 'bonded' setup, (i.e.with a PlayBar))
Play:5 (gen 2) ... ('stand-alone', 'grouped' or 'paired', but not set as a surround in a 'bonded' setup, (i.e.with a PlayBar))
Sonos Beam ... ('stand-alone', 'grouped', or 'bonded' with surrounds)
Sonos PlayBase ... ('stand-alone', 'grouped' or 'bonded' with surrounds)

The following older Sonos devices however are NOT 'AirPlay Master' devices, and so do not 'directly' receive an AirPlay stream (standalone) by themselves, but will play such streams when 'grouped' with one of the 'AirPlay Masters' mentioned above:

Play:1
Play:3
Play:5 (gen1)
PlayBar
Connect
Connect:Amp

I tend to refer to these older devices as Sonos 'AirPlay Slaves'.

Please also carefully note that the term 'grouped' is NOT the same as the term 'paired' (for stereo purposes), nor is it the same as the term 'bonded' (for sound-surround purposes):

The reason we have such 'Slaves' is these are now older Sonos devices that do not have the hardware horsepower capability to act as an 'AirPlay Master', but they can still all continue to work great as Sonos AirPlay 'Slaves' when they are placed in a 'group' with the 'newer' 'Master' devices and as such, they can still play an AirPlay audio stream, albeit indirectly, via a chosen Master device.

I personally think it’s great that Sonos have implemented the new Apple AirPlay protocol in this way, as it means all of us with any of the 'older' (slave) hardware listed, can carry on and still receive an AirPlay audio stream from the dozens and dozens of AirPlay compatible Apps in the Apple App Store, such as Netflix, YouTube, BBC iPlayer etc; on ALL our speakers, either directly as a 'Master' ...or 'indirectly' as a 'Slave' by simply adding and/or 'grouping' the older speakers with one of the four AirPlay Masters.

So for those who have already purchased one of the four mentioned 'Master' devices, this latest Sonos update provides AirPlay to All speakers, FREE of charge...

However, here’s a couple of very important points...

Note: The 'Sonos One' or 'Play:5 (gen2)' Speakers are NOT able to perform their own role as an 'AirPlay Master' when they are 'bonded' to a PlayBar/PlayBase or Sonos Beam for sound surround purposes... they (sadly) lose their AirPlay Master capabilities in this type of setup.

The PlayBase, or Beam though, will always retain their AirPlay Master capabilities when they are placed in a 'bonded' setup.

And Finally...

For those users that don’t yet own, or use a Sonos AirPlay Master, as shown in the initial list of four devices above, I would personally recommend you consider adding such a device to your existing Sonos network, particularly if you own Apple devices (MAC/AppleTV4/iPhone/iPad etc.) and would like to play AirPlay audio sources, in sync, across any of your existing older Speakers.

I sincerely hope the above explanation helps the mist surrounding 'AirPlay on Sonos' to clear a little ...and hope it doesn’t confuse matters further.
Issue for me as well. Sonos One playing Airplay, BUT - not being able to add to Home.
Issue for me as well. Sonos One playing Airplay, BUT - not being able to add to Home.
Make sure you are running iOS 11.4, or higher, on your mobile device and then reboot the device and speaker and ensure the controller is connected back on the same LAN as your Sonos AirPlay device... I would choose to use the 2.4ghz WIFI band signal rather than the 5ghz band.

You could also try temporarily cabling your speaker to the router.

Make sure the speaker, Sonos One or Play-5 (gen2) are 'stand-alone' and not 'grouped' or 'bonded' with other devices. Then try adding the speaker (accessory) again into the HomeKit app, choose the option that mentions you ‘don’t have a code or cannot scan' and complete the onscreen instructions.

If it fails, perhaps consider uninstalling and reinstalling the HomeKit App, but only do that as a very last resort.
Userlevel 1
Same problem here. Tried rebooting Sonos One. Ungrouping it from the play:1 and uninstalled HomeKit app and restarted it. Still nothing when I try to add Sonos One as an accessory. Can play music on the Sonos One using airplay but can’t add it to the HomeKit.

One strange thing. Everywhere I’ve read says to hit the plus sign in the top right of the home app but mine doesnt have the plus sign. Just the add accessory button at the bottom of the screen.
Userlevel 1
I was able to get mine working finally by turning off the ‘group non airplay speakers’ option in the sonos app settings. Even though they weren’t grouped it still kept it from showing up in the HomeKit. Hope this helps.
I was able to get mine working finally by turning off the ‘group non airplay speakers’ option in the sonos app settings. Even though they weren’t grouped it still kept it from showing up in the HomeKit. Hope this helps.
That’s interesting, it will be useful to know too, if this suggested-fix helps anyone else to resolve their HomeKit problem. I’ve not seen anyone mention toggling off that setting before.
At first, I was having this same issue with my beam. The speaker would not appear in the homekit app. Someone else in my household is the homekit administrator/owner. So I used that person's phone to add the speaker to homekit and that worked. After adding the speaker, the speaker showed up under "default room" on both the homekit owner's phone and my phone. After successfully adding the speaker, siri could still not play music on the speaker. I tried "default room" and I tried moving the speaker to another homekit room, all to no avail. However, I told siri "play [song name] everywhere" and I got music playing out of the beam.
I got my Sonos One setup in HomeKit with no issues and initially Siri worked fine, but now, for some reason, Siri isn’t working with it, but I am running my iPad with iOS public beta 12.0 v3 and it is a bit buggy in places, so that might be the reason why.
Using Sonos V9.0 and iOS 11.4.1. No problems with Airplay 2. My Sonos Beam also appears in Homekit but when I try to add it, I get a message saying “Couldn’t connect accessory” I have heaps of other devices connected via Homekit with no problems. This looks like a Sonos problem and it would be good if Sonos could advise all of us if there is an issue or not instead of us wasting our time.
My issue with Siri voice commands to Sonos AirPlay has now been fixed with the recent iOS 12.0 update to public beta 4.
Using Sonos V9.0 and iOS 11.4.1. No problems with Airplay 2. My Sonos Beam also appears in Homekit but when I try to add it, I get a message saying “Couldn’t connect accessory” I have heaps of other devices connected via Homekit with no problems. This looks like a Sonos problem and it would be good if Sonos could advise all of us if there is an issue or not instead of us wasting our time.
I’ve had no issues adding my Sonos speakers as accessories to HomeKit ... make sure you are the HomeKit Administrator who set it up on the network (that’s if you have shared access with others)... I would reboot your modem, speakers and HomeKit controller device and try again.
If that still fails I have seen some uses suggest turning off the setting called 'Group non-AirPlay Speakers' in the Sonos Apps 'Settings/AirPlay'
But I suspect a reboot of devices will resolve your situation.
My apologies to all including Sonos. The iOS device I was using to add the Sonos Beam was not the one used to set up the HomePod which is the HomeKit hub. Picked up the other device and the Beam was added without a problem. Thanks especially to Ken for providing the 3 possibilities causing the issue.
A possible additional solution (which I stumbled across after hours of frustration) is to reset you HomeKit Hub. This will be an Apple TV, HomePod or possibly an iPad. Mine was the Apple TV and it had frozen. Turned it off and on again and hey presto, Sonos One became discoverable.
Hello I just got a One today and was able (thx to all of you 🙂 ) to get my Sonos One in the Homekit. But... how can I turn it on and off?? Or when it is on and playing music turn it off with Homekit?? Is there a workaround too??
Thx
At last. Using the iPad with which I'd setup Home originally was entirely successful. Many, many thanks to whomever suggested this above. Why this is necessary is another issue, but the present problem is resolved.
Had the same issues. For me nothing above worked. But it worked after starting music from Apple Music (on the same device I control HomeKit from) to one of the missing speakers in HomeKit. I could see both speakers im HomeKit after that and added them sucessfully.

Maybe that helps other peeps ^^

P.S.: Airplay worked well also before adding speakers to Homekit - so no isses to control them via Apple Music before.