8.2 Is Completely Frustratingly Awful

• 17 November 2017
  • 67 replies

Userlevel 4
I created an account here so I can vent. This latest version of the app is horrible. There appears to be rhyme or reason about where anything is located. For some bizarre reason I cannot search for music from the music tab. On the search tab there are buttons at the bottom... but the actual search icon is a dim thing at the top. BTW, what is with unreachable buttons at the bottom? When I am holding my device my thumbs point up, not down. On a scale of 1 to 10 the usability of this version is about minus 3.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Toolio, could you reco a third party app you like? I’m in struggle city over here.

On Android, Macronos is great for automating tasks. On IOS, SonoSequencer. I much prefer Macronos, though.
Toolio, could you reco a third party app you like? I’m in struggle city over here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
After months of using this version, including updates with “refinements,” I still think its terrible. It is perhaps one of the most unintuitive apps I’ve ever used. What should be simple, and what WAS once simple, is now overly complicated. For reasons I don’t understand Sonos is sticking with this iteration of the app. I’ve resorted to using third-party apps for simple tasks such as choosing groups before I am forced to use the Sonos app for music, radio or podcast selection (and even that can be avoided by using streaming service apps that can directly link to Sonos, although those possibilities are limited).
Oh my GAWD this app design is so bad I wanna pull my hair out. It's the least intuitive thing I've seen in ages. For such a modern product, the app is insanely frustrating. The user experience is just terrible, the flow isn't natural, you can't just add or remove or rename things easily. All of the menus take multiple steps - the music streaming syncing is backwards from how the music services work. GAWD I hate this app.
Oh, and we are unable to access "Music Library".
And there is no longer a "Now Playing" screen
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
There's definitely been a bit of a harsh learning curve with some of the changes, so I understand the frustration. I put a thread up here which outlines things for room changes a bit easier.

The team is hard at work taking into account your feedback. I can't speak to specific changes yet, but it's all being considered. After decisions are made, they have to implement and then go through a full testing phase. Some changes were released in 8.2, and more are likely to come in the next couple updates. I'll let you know as soon as there's more to share.

I think it is much much more than a "harsh learning curve" unfortunately. It is now so unintuitive to use, and has such a poor UI (with too many required swipes in all directions and non obvious hidden away functionality, it almost needs throwing away and starting again, maybe utilising the best of previous app designs as a start point. Version 7 was almost ok and would be a better baseline to build on. The "My Sonos" tab drives me nuts, to the point that I've now downloaded the SonoPhone & SonoPad Apps in order to get the nice straightforward "Favourites" list back.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Agreed. The new android app STINKS. The bright skin is hideous, and that's the least of the problems. Everything -- and I mean EVERYTHING -- that was quick and easy and intuitive to do in the old version, has been moved and changed and hidden and made more complicated. The old app wasn't perfect, but it was easy to use. I have to re-learn the new app every time I pick up my phone. Pandora functions are much harder to use, and the listing of stations is random, rather than alphabetic. There is not one single change in this app that helps me. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

And, when are Android users going to get trueplay?

I've got $1400 worth of Sonos gear, and you go and make my primary controller much worse. Thanks a bunch.

Are you listening, Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There's definitely been a bit of a harsh learning curve with some of the changes, so I understand the frustration. I put a thread up here which outlines things for room changes a bit easier.

The team is hard at work taking into account your feedback. I can't speak to specific changes yet, but it's all being considered. After decisions are made, they have to implement and then go through a full testing phase. Some changes were released in 8.2, and more are likely to come in the next couple updates. I'll let you know as soon as there's more to share.
I would like to help, because while the app is far from perfect, it sounds like you are not making the best use of it. Here are a few things I have found help me. You are of course free to ignore them.
1 Don't use the red room thing on the Now Playing screen at all. Avoid it. Manage rooms entirely from the Rooms screen.
2 Use the tab bar to navigate to rooms and music choices
3. Swipe down the Now Playing screen to reveal the tab bar. (A quick downward flick of the finger almost anywhere on the screen works on my controllers.)
4. On the Rooms screen, the currently active room is highlighted (i.e. is black). The active room is not necessarily a room in which music is playing. It is the room that is currently being controlled, the one that the Now Playing screen is displaying when expanded. If you want to manage the music in another room, tap it on the Rooms screen. One tap will select it, another will return you to the Now Playing screen with control of that room.
May I ask .. are you trying to do these room management tasks using the 'red room' facility on the Now Playing screen, or using the Rooms screen?

Either/or
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
@mwiseman. I wouldn't disagree with that. But it sounded like it might be a factor here so worth asking

You're correct.
@mwiseman. I wouldn't disagree with that. But it sounded like it might be a factor here so worth asking
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
May I ask .. are you trying to do these room management tasks using the 'red room' facility on the Now Playing screen, or using the Rooms screen?

When the new version came out, I made this mistake. I now understand how room selection works; but the fact that so many people are confused by this indicates poor UI design.
BTW, SONOS' stock answer to these issues is "interference". It is not. We ran frequency scanners and conducted comprehensive network diagnostics. The problem is not "interference". The problem is faulty SONOS software and app.
Here's a good example of some of the problems we've been experiencing:
On iPhone 8, iPad mini and iPad. Latest iOS updates. Network is Ruckus, hard wired w/CAT6A. Speed is 1G, FiOS.
In the Room list, the display shows that I am listening to WQXR in Living Room (ZP-90 Connect into McIntosh C-2600 coax dig input). Display shows a small check mark indicating that the Living Room is active. However, there is no music playing in the Living Room, nor had I selected the Living Room. If I tap the check mark to de-select the Living Room, SONOS asks "Are you sure you want to stop this music in all rooms?" If I tap Yes, SONOS still indicates that I am playing WQXR in Living Room, and the check mark has re-appeared. If I then select Living Room, then tap Browse, then tap < four times, I can get to the Browse screen, select my music choice, and adjust Volume.
The display also indicates that Kitchen is NOT selected, there is no check mark, nor does it indicate that any music is playing in the Kitchen (Play 1).
However, WBGO is playing in Kitchen. Volume slider works intermittently.
If I try to de-select Kitchen, it keeps re-appearing.
If I try swiping the display to find the control bar tab, the iPhone text message page comes up instead.
I can access the control bar tab only by very carefully tapping the very small horizontal grey line at the top of the screen display.
Now, if I try de-selecting Kitchen, display indicates Living Room and Kitchen are now grouped.
We did a complete re-boot of modem, router, Zone Director and WAPs, and all SONOS devices but it made no difference.
We've visited 12 clients in the last 3 days, 10 are having the same issues. (We are/were SONOS re-seller.)
These problems did not exist prior to the latest SONOS updates.
I'll repeat that, lest one might misunderstand.
These problems did not exist prior to the latest SONOS updates.
We usually are quiet on what exactly is being worked on in many regards. When it comes to software there's a lot that can impact plans and timelines, so we try not to overshare.

The team has heard your criticism from the community and other places around the color changes. The contrast and colors are being looked into, but since I'm not certain what the final plan is, we can't speak to what will happen. It does have a lot of attention, however, and there are several options being reviewed and tested. That process takes time, and incorporating all feedback is important at every stage of development. With all app changes, we get lots of both positive and negative feedback. The team takes the time to review it all and design based on that.

Hi Ryan

It's nearly 3 weeks now and still no (meaningful) update.

We are nearing a busy time for Sonos whereby us (previously?) loyal customers would evangelise your products to visiting friends & family. From my perspective, that will not be happening this year. In fact, the opposite is true and I will be suggesting that people don't buy Sonos as the forced updates have taken the UI in a terrible direction.

Before I get flamed/trolled, I have worked for many years in software design and development including iOS, so I've got a fair idea on timescales here...

- Will you get rid of the white on white? That's so simple it's a farce you haven't done this already. Offer a theme choice - dark or light, that's all you need to do.
- Will you go back to the simple room/music navigation vs. the disconnected navigation at present?
Finally after trying to upgrade the desktop controller through the UPGRADE option in the app, I downloaded the app directly and ran the Windows installer.

The update sort of worked. I still had to run the Update option from the app, then go through all the steps of updating the speakers and with having close to 20 devices it took quite some time to complete. However then I had to re-register my account and update all of my product information to Sonos.

Version 8.2.1 still has problems in the way that you cannot sort the stations you have saved in Pandora in alphabetical order, instead the app has them listed by date they were added? WTF. Why is there no sorting functionality of the app. The same holds true for the Android app, no sorting by alphabetic.

The app is still broken for being able to access stored music that I have on a media server. It links to the folder, but it cannot play any files. I more than 500 CD's stored in digital format, more than 5000 songs that can no longer be played by the Sonos controller. This is unacceptable.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Update:
Sitting in silence, I continued to revive my Sonos system.
All devices are running the latest software.
All controller devices are running the latest version.
MacBook shows only the Living Room Connect.
iPad shows only the Basement Connect.
iPhone shows only the Basement connect.
***Mind you, I was listening to the Living Room system only earlier today.***
So I begin adding the other Connect...
1. On the MacBook, I begin searching for a new device.
2. On it's own, the iPad finds a new device that is not linked to the system.
3. Okay, so on the iPad, I link the new device to my Sonos Account.
(did I say you must establish a Sonos account now to link your devices to?)
The device now shows up on all controlling devices.
But that's only 2 Connects.
I begin again. Steps 1 thru 3.
Now all 3 Connects show up on all controllers.

The funniest thing is now the red Room Selection at the bottom of the screen works beautifully!!!!!

All this was frustrating to deal with, but I have to thank the Sonos Software folks for fixing the Room Selector.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Perfect timing to put the final nail in the Sonos UI coffin.
Middle of Thanksgiving Day.
Like I have nothing better to do than jack with software that used to work
Was playing music on the Living Room Connect. MacBook and iPad are in the basement.
Cell phone rings, try to pause the music from the phone but I'm forced to upgrade the controller.
Run to the basement where the MacBook is booted up and pause the music.
Now, all devices want the controller updated.
I reluctantly comply.
Now, iPhone and iPad only show the basement Sonos Connect (I have 3, one in the living room one in the basement, one In the garage).
MacBook needs me to create a new Sonos account. Huh!?
I used to sing the praises of the Sonos system, but now I'm beyond frustrated.
Typical corporate mentality: Change to justify my job, not to improve a product.
You'll be seeing my system on e-bay soon...:-(
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Well, having just convinced my partner to try Sonos, setting up play base and two play 1's (after some multiple re-attempts to even get the app to find the players) we find the app controller to be utterly non intuitive and creating sheer rage full frustration. Songs dropping out mid stream, then another random song starts, and stops. Or maybe it plays through. But what next? Tune-in channels start, stop. This, THIS! Is what I have been waiting to experience?!?! I just bought this system. It may well go right back in the box as I got two good hours of "this is awesome sound!" Before next day got up and all of a sudden the app did not "see" the play1's and it all went to hell. I am not the most technically apt person. But this is why I chose Sonos over Bose. I had heard how effortless it was. HA! The amount of effort and brow sweat I exerted over this is already testing my generally high patience levels.

You’re absolutely right about the app being non-intuitive. However, it’s highly unlikely that it is the cause of your problems with playing audio or setting up Sonos. It sounds like you’ve got a networking issue somewhere. If you search through these forums you’ll find lots of tips on how to resolve that. Often the problem is conflicting IP addresses, although there are other potential issues. Sonos actually does work very well once is it set up properly. The first thing you might want to do is to unplug your entire network and then start plugging everything back in, starting with the router and then working forward through any switches you might have and then the Sonos gear.
Well, having just convinced my partner to try Sonos, setting up play base and two play 1's (after some multiple re-attempts to even get the app to find the players) we find the app controller to be utterly non intuitive and creating sheer rage full frustration. Songs dropping out mid stream, then another random song starts, and stops. Or maybe it plays through. But what next? Tune-in channels start, stop. This, THIS! Is what I have been waiting to experience?!?! I just bought this system. It may well go right back in the box as I got two good hours of "this is awesome sound!" Before next day got up and all of a sudden the app did not "see" the play1's and it all went to hell. I am not the most technically apt person. But this is why I chose Sonos over Bose. I had heard how effortless it was. HA! The amount of effort and brow sweat I exerted over this is already testing my generally high patience levels.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
At the end of the day most of us can get by with the new app. I’d describe the situation with a lawn mowing analogy. When I want to mow my lawn I go to my garage, where my mower (22” blade) is waiting. I start it up, follow it around my lawn until finished, then return the mower to my garage. Now, I go to my garage. The mower might be there, or it might be on my back porch, or it might be in my basement. When I finally find the mower and start cutting the grass, I learn someone has removed my 22” blade and replaced it with an 11” blade making the job take twice as long.

My primary complaints center around lack of intuitiveness (my wife’s inability to navigate zones, never getting to attempt music selection) and my belief that It takes twice as long to get to my music. Neither is acceptable to me as a consumer.

Yes, I’m bored and spend too much time on this. Done now.

That's one of the best posts I've read on here, sums it up very well.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
As John B has said many times in this forum, just stay well away from the red rooms function at the bottom of now playing screen, it creates all sorts of chaos, who knows where it will end up playing, and then getting things back drives everyone completely nuts :@

While this may be sound advice, it highlights how poor the new app is. That we should ignore a key feature of the new app in order for it to function better says it all.

I agree with others. I can use the app, I can get music playing but I constantly need to pause, think, look at what room is in focus etc etc. I have never had to do this before and I started on version 4.

A month or so on and I still dislike it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I know how to use the new app. I can make it work. But after weeks of using it, I still despise the new app. I find myself creating shortcuts with Macronos on my Android devices to ease some of my frustrations. Too bad there is nothing nearly as good as Macronos for iOS devices.