5.1 surround test tone

• 19 January 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Probably someone pointed it out already, but I feel a surround test tone in the sonos app would be useful. A lot.

The classic "This is Front Left channel, This is Front Right channel, ..." voice that comes from the speaker it is referring to. As a Sony TV owner I had the luck of having the full 5.1 surround signal coming from the optical out, but a lot of people have TVs where the optical out only manage a PCM 2.0.
With a simple tone like that you could know immediately if your surround works and if you set it correctly in terms of L/R.

The test tone page could be put immediately after the one where the creation of the surround is confirmed.

Maybe it could be made in the same way as the sub's one is: the test tone plays on the surround and you can manually adjust its volume to your taste. Basically the same concept found in the manual volume control of the surround when listening music, but for movies.
(If I'm not wrong the surround level adjustment right now affects only the music and not the TV input)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Good idea, more manufacturers should include a test tone with multiple speakers and tracks.
My sony avr has it, and playstation wipeout game had it visually moving around a display room.
Trueplay tuning for PLAYBAR plus satellites features test tones through each of the six (5.1) channels. They're sequenced in order around the room.

As for double-checking whether the surrounds are correctly set up, you can always compare the serial numbers with the '(LS)'/'(RS)' designations in About My Sonos System.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you have YouTube on your TV you can use a YT DD5.1 test video
Userlevel 1
Badge
The idea is to have it all semplified. I know how get things done
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The idea is to have it all semplified. I know how get things done

Seeing as Trueplay is something that only happen when you 1) Install Sonos 2) Move Sonos or 3) Change furniture around Sonos then for YOU, as this feature is not available yet, you could follow the other tips in this thread.
as this feature is not available yet
Trueplay for PLAYBAR was released at 7.0.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
as this feature is not available yet
Trueplay for PLAYBAR was released at 7.0.

Sorry, I meant that a feature providing a DD5.1 test tone is not available yet (And I'm not implying one is in the works!)