3rd iPhone won't connect to Sonos on network

• 31 December 2020
  • 30 replies

Badge

Hello everyone, I am having an issue that I believe is related to an iphone. My wife's iphone 8 was working fine with our Sonos network until it decided to not work. The app and said there were no Sonos items on the network. At that point I uninstalled the app, restarted the phone, restarted the router, power cycled speakers, etc.

So now we cant even login in the app on one of our devices because it cant see any Sonos devices on the network.

My iphone 8 plus is still able to connect, and my daughters iphone 7 both connect fine, we can see all the speaks, connect and link them together in a group.

All iphones are running ios 14.3, and the Sonos apps have all been updated to current. The ios sonos app we are using is Sonos 12.2.2

the router is a Google Nest mesh network. The Google Home app is version 2.32.11 no idea about hardware version or whatnot.

Anyone have a problem aimilar to this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

The key phrase to me is ‘a Google Nest mesh network”.

Are you running your system in ‘wired’ mode where a Sonos  device is wired to the base Google Nest ‘router’? My suspicion is the devices that don’t see the Sonia are connected to a different ‘Nest’ product, and if you’re not running in wired mode, they can’t see the subnet that the Sonia is on. Running in ‘wired’ mode should resolve that.

See the wired and wireless modes FAQ for more information on how to set up in ‘wired’ mode. 

Badge

Ever since my devices were upgraded to iOS 14.x the Sonos app is no longer able to connect or recognise the speakers. I reset routers, removed and reinstalled app but no permanent solution. Haven’t used the speakers in months. Waste of money and waste of time unfortunately. 

Ever since my devices were upgraded to iOS 14.x the Sonos app is no longer able to connect or recognise the speakers. I reset routers, removed and reinstalled app but no permanent solution. Haven’t used the speakers in months. Waste of money and waste of time unfortunately. 

@Tom_BP . You are referring to the iPhone presumably?  It was your phone that was updated to iOS 14, not the Sonos app, nor the Sonos devices. 

Please note:

“With the release of iOS 14, Sonos requires the “Local Network Access” permission to be enabled in your device’s settings. For more information, see our article on Sonos app permissions.”

Badge

@Tom_BP . You are referring to the iPhone presumably?  It was your phone that was updated to iOS 14, not the Sonos app, nor the Sonos devices. 

Please note:

“With the release of iOS 14, Sonos requires the “Local Network Access” permission to be enabled in your device’s settings. For more information, see our article on Sonos app permissions.”

John, 

you are correct. iOS is an Apple operating system for mobile devices (phones, iPads). I’m also aware of that I updated my phone. Since then the Sonos app does not connect to the speakers. There are plenty of suggestions from resetting routers to reinstalling apps and to granting permission on the phone. Did all. None worked. Gave up on Sonos. 

Shame because if the app cannot find the system it is a permissions or local networking problem. (That isn’t the same as saying your network is faulty, btw.)

But if you have given up,  so be it.

So you gave up on Sonos? The easiest taget always is to kill the messenger. Most likely the issue is IOS settings or your network. You never replied to Airgetlam’s question.

@ClausN . @Tom_BP crashed the thread with an unrelated query. Well, not a query but a whinge. He is not the OP.

John, 

you are correct. iOS is an Apple operating system for mobile devices (phones, iPads). I’m also aware of that I updated my phone. Since then the Sonos app does not connect to the speakers. There are plenty of suggestions from resetting routers to reinstalling apps and to granting permission on the phone. Did all. None worked. Gave up on Sonos. 

Perhaps try switching off ‘Private Address’ on the problem controller device - goto the iOS network settings and look at the properties of the current WiFi network connection and toggle off the feature and try the Sonos App again from a fully closed (slide off screen) state.

Hope that fixes the issue.

Okay, missed that, thanks @John B 

Anyway, the blame on Sonos is still the easiest path to go, but most often the blame should go to iOS settings or own network. 

And turn off iOS WiFi Assist.

Badge

The key phrase to me is ‘a Google Nest mesh network”.

Are you running your system in ‘wired’ mode where a Sonos  device is wired to the base Google Nest ‘router’? My suspicion is the devices that don’t see the Sonia are connected to a different ‘Nest’ product, and if you’re not running in wired mode, they can’t see the subnet that the Sonia is on. Running in ‘wired’ mode should resolve that.

See the wired and wireless modes FAQ for more information on how to set up in ‘wired’ mode. 

Hey Bruce. Thanks for the suggestion. No everything is wireless. Its just one ios device of 3 on the same network that does not see any of the speakers. Everything is identical on the 3 phones as far as I can tell, I will keep looking though.

Badge

Do you mean auto join in the wifi settings for the device?

Badge

Okay, missed that, thanks @John B 

Anyway, the blame on Sonos is still the easiest path to go, but most often the blame should go to iOS settings or own network. 

I agree, I think this is a google or ios issue. While I have had problems in the past I have been able to work around them. This one is a bit perpelxing.

Badge

Please note:

I checked this on the offending phone with no luck. when my wife is back home I may try setting up her connection fresh to see if I missed something.

Do you mean auto join in the wifi settings for the device?

No, goto ‘Settings/Mobile Data’ scroll down to toggle off the feature.

Badge

There is no settings/mobile data on the iphone that I can see.. Are you on ios or android? If ios are you using 14.3? 

I search for any of thoes terms in settings with no luck. It takes me to cellular. Wifi calling in cellular is turned off, but I feel that is unrelated.

I agree, I think this is a google or ios issue. While I have had problems in the past I have been able to work around them. This one is a bit perpelxing.

Even though network access is enabled, you could try two further things…

• Fully close the Sonos App. Switch to the local network 2.4ghz connection and then on the iPhone goto ‘Settings/Privacy/Local Network” and find the Sonos App in the list and toggle off/on the network access authorisation again.
  • If still no luck, then (perhaps as a very last resort) you could consider going to the iOS "Settings/General/Reset” and select the option to "Reset Location & Privacy” - However, just as a warning, this will reset permissions for access to location and privacy (including local network access) for ALL installed Apps on the device. That means you will be prompted again, on first opening of each app, to give permission to allow access to those (otherwise private) features.

There is no settings/mobile data on the iphone that I can see.. Are you on ios or android? If ios are you using 14.3? 

I search for any of thoes terms in settings with no luck. It takes me to cellular. Wifi calling in cellular is turned off, but I feel that is unrelated.

Yes I’m on iOS 14.3 - did you scroll down past the Apps in mobile data - it’s towards the bottom of the screen.

Badge

Yes I’m on iOS 14.3 - did you scroll down past the Apps in mobile data - it’s towards the bottom of the screen.

Hey thanks for the suggestion. I turned that off on my wifes phone, still no luck.

Hey thanks for the suggestion. I turned that off on my wifes phone, still no luck.

That’s okay and just to clarify did you also try switching off ‘Private Address’ on her phone too? It’s in the current iOS WiFi connection properties screen.

Badge

That’s okay and just to clarify did you also try switching off ‘Private Address’ on her phone too? It’s in the current iOS WiFi connection properties screen.

Thanks for the suggestion, yes I just tried that. Unfortunately nothing changed. I am still seeing the message in the app that says We can’t find a Sonos system on your mobile device’s network....

Badge

Even though network access is enabled, you could try two further things…

• Fully close the Sonos App. Switch to the local network 2.4ghz connection and then on the iPhone goto ‘Settings/Privacy/Local Network” and find the Sonos App in the list and toggle off/on the network access authorisation again.
  • If still no luck, then (perhaps as a very last resort) you could consider going to the iOS "Settings/General/Reset” and select the option to "Reset Location & Privacy” - However, just as a warning, this will reset permissions for access to location and privacy (including local network access) for ALL installed Apps on the device. That means you will be prompted again, on first opening of each app, to give permission to allow access to those (otherwise private) features.

Ken, What connection are you calling the local 2.4ghz connection? I don’t believe I have any sort of control with the google nest router to specify that type of connection. For confirmation you meant the router not the phone correct?

Ken, What connection are you calling the local 2.4ghz connection? I don’t believe I have any sort of control with the google nest router to specify that type of connection. For confirmation you meant the router not the phone correct?

If it’s a mesh/hub wifi system (with/without dual-wifi-banding) then you may find it best to wire a Sonos product to the ‘primary’ nest (router) device only. This will enable all devices to run on SonosNet. Do not wire a Sonos product to any nest satellite hub (directly or indirectly) and if there is an ISP provided router that the nest system is connected to then ensure its placed in modem/bridged mode with the WiFi disabled on that device. 

Perhaps, also see this thread: LINK

Badge

Solved the issue. Im going to suggest the problem is with the current ios app. 

I deleted the current Sonos app and restarted the phone. I was going to reinstall the current app yet again, but I thought why don't I see if the s1 app does anything different. And it did. It immediately found the entire system and all our components. It told me I needed to update the app and I followed along installing the current app, however this time it worked.

Thanks everyone for the assistance!

Badge

Hey everyone, the problem has returned, or rather I suppose it never really went away.

The solution I have continues to work, but the problem continues to pop up every few days where my wife's iPhone cannot see any of the speakers on the network. And as previously mentioned, all devices are at the same os version, etc.

With that said deleting the new Sonos app only to use the old s1 app, which then  tells me to install the new app seems a bit of a convoluted way to use a speaker. Anyone have any additional ideas or thoughts?