Answered

2017 Samsung Q9F TV. How to get the volume on Remote to adjust the Sonos speakers?

• 17 July 2017
  • 8 replies

Can't get the Samsung Q9F TV remote to control the volume of the sonos soundbar. Help?
icon

Best answer by christophene 16 November 2017, 18:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Beatles Lover, sorry we are so late replying. Try the instructions here.
Does not work. Q7F
I have the same problem with similar TV - Samsung Q7F - the TV remote won't setup to control the volume of the sonos playbar. This is Samsung's new range of TV's - can someone at Sonos get the techs to look into this so we can maybe get a fix in an update?
Just got this working on my Samsung Q7F after Sonos support directed me to this link - https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4198/ ....happy camper now!!!
tried the support link. I only use netflix on my Samsung Q7F and do not use bluray or other devices and the steps are not working. I just want to use my TV netflix with my playbar and play 3 speakers and I cannot. Please help!!!
Looks like it does work, see here
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/Samsung-Q7F-Won-t-Connect-to-Sonos-Playbar/td-p/111994
Maybe try unplugging and plugging back in again like that user
@Tom B....plz help...wife's wanting to return the playbar if we can't get the Samsung smart remote to reliably control the playbar volume

QE65Q7F Smart Remote volume control issues with Sonos Playbar
I am having the same issue. I have done the suggested configuration steps referenced in this thread with minimal success. In researching this issue, it appears that having the One Connect box inside a cabinet out of line of site is part of the issue. If I open the cabinet, then the smart remote can control the volume sometimes. However, it is not consistent in its responsiveness nor reliability. Ultimately, we hide all of our electronics inside a cabinet so having the one box visible is a nonstarter. Can you help me understand the issue better? Is the TV sending a volume up/down command to the play bar over the optical cable or is the playbar receiving the volume up/down command directly from the smart remote? Given that it kind of works sometimes when the cabinet is open and the One Connect box has line of sight to the remote, it would appear the TV is involved in sending a command to the Sonos playbar to adjust volume. If this is the case, then why do we need to use infrared at all? Why can't we use the RF connection between the Smart Remote and the One Connect box to receive the volume up/down command and forward it to the playbar? I can use the Sonos app to adjust the volume which sends the volume up/down command to the playbar via the WiFi network so I wouldn't think the One Connect box is involved at all. I can also adjust the volume with the manual volume up/down buttons on the playbar. Why is setting the volume with infrared any different from sending the volume command over WiFi? Shoulldn't the playbar simplysupport the Smart Remote's infrared codes and adjust the playbar volume in response to seeing an infrared volume up/down code? Why is the TV involved at all since it is the playbar's volume being adjusted. Ultimately, there is a bug here. Is this a Samsung issue or a Sonos issue? Since I can adjust the volume using the Sonos app sending volume commands over WiFi, it appears it's a Sonos issue supporting/interpreting the Samsung Smart Remote's infrared codes. Please comment as I want to keep the playbar as we love everything about it except the user experience with the volume control.
You just need to set the input to Sonos. I had mine set as my Nvidia Shield android TV box, so the smart remote also worked to control that, but didn't adjust the volume. Then I changed the input device to Sonos and it worked immediately for volume.
It's a shame I can't use it for both, but I have a separate remote for the Nvidia Shield, so not so much of a problem.