Question

2000$ system and no auto off or power off option.... Realy?!

• 3 November 2019
  • 10 replies

Seriously half tempted to return the sonos system back after finding out today there is no power off option on a 2000$ system "let alone no remote forcing you to use a phone or tablet to adjust any settings". Having it on cost money as anything requiring power does! The system is staying on for hours with nothing connected to it. There is no reasonable explanation why there should not be and adjustable auto off option or even power off option this far in todays technolog. For the price this is an unexceptable oversight! Over all not happy with a 2000$ system that should have basic features. I mean with that mentality we should just leave our car running because we "may"... need to use it in the next hour!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

On a more conventional system, it’s ready almost immediately at power up. 

When a Sonos speaker is “restarted” after power off, it’s not instantly ready. There is a computer which has to restart, then a wifi card to start up, find the network and connect to it. That takes a minute or two. 

Personally, I prefer to use them as Sonos intends: instantly ready to use, and to turn into sync’d multiroom configurations.

That said, I have 2 speakers in rarely-used rooms which I do turn off until needed. 

The speakers enter low power mode automatically a few minutes after play ceases, and the latest speakers use a couple of watts in that state.  To all intents and purposes this is an auto-off. It is not just a question of convenience.  Sonos systems involve multiple devices staying in constant touch when in use, and so are more vulnerable to things like IP address conflicts.  Every time a device is powered off and on again it gives your router a chance to screw up the IP addressing.  Also, if used in SonosNet mode (as originally designed) the speakers form a mesh that requires all devices to be active to give a stable configuration.

So, this is completely deliberate and necessary and your reference to the price of the system completely irrelevant.  

If you are uncomfortable with that  then you had better carry out your threat and find a multiroom audio system that doesn’t work that way.

Delta 091,

If there was a mechanical switch to fully disconnect the units from power, one would need to physically go to each unit and mechanically turn them ON prior to each use. One possibility for conserving power would be to install a wireless remote controlled power switch for each unit. The SONOS units could then be remotely powered UP as needed. Note that there would also be a standby power requirement for the remote switches. A power “savings” would occur if the standby power of the remote switches is less than the standby power requirement of the SONOS units.

There is a “cost” for convenience. You could save power and extend the battery life of your mobile phone if you kept it powered down between uses, perhaps checking for incoming calls once an hour.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The reasonable explanation for keeping all Sonos devices on (be it in a low power mode) is that Sonos is a wifi multiroom system. Having to turn on each device (and since you spent $ 2000, you have more than one) before use defeats the purpose of a wifi system.

On more modern wifi-enabled devices like modern TV’s for instance this behavior is usual.

Apprecaite the responses. I guess it is what it is with connected system and understand that. But there is nothing to verify  that the system is in low power state. Something that should be implemented, is that option in the app to do that and verify it is. Last night all the lights on sub two rear speakers and soundbar stayed on all night. And the main reason I was looking for a power off option was because I sometimes dont use the living room tv for days to weeks since I'm active duty military and I shouldn't have to unplug the system to do that. But again thanks for the responses appreciate it. 

Last night all the lights on sub two rear speakers and soundbar stayed on all night.

They would. Go into Settings/System/(room name) and you can toggle the status LEDs off.

And the main reason I was looking for a power off option was because I sometimes dont use the living room tv for days to weeks since I'm active duty military 

In that case I do suggest you simply power the system off at the wall.

sometimes dont use the living room tv for days to weeks since I'm active duty military and I shouldn't have to unplug the system to do that. But again thanks for the responses appreciate it. 

When you will be away for weeks, regardless of any power saving considerations, I recommend removing power from all important electronic devices. This will prevent damage from nearby lightning strikes and power line transients. Surge suppressors offer some protection, but for a direct lightning strike, only providence can protect the electronics.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

We went with the “dumb switch” mode to keep from fishing for power cables or actually using more than the Sonos idle power to run a smart switch and hub.

https://smile.amazon.com/Woods-Indoor-Extension-Remote-Switch/dp/B000KKND86/ref=sr_1_7

Note the not-so-good deal on multipacks, $134 for a 4 pack or $12 each…

Many other similar cords available, some with pretty switches if you need that.

Userlevel 2
Badge

You could use a smart plugs and just enable disable the system that way if you are worried about the power draw.

Userlevel 7

One last point…:joy:

If there were an on-off button on the Beam, Playbar and Playbase...folks would most likely be saying...

I spend $1,277_USD (Beam, Sonos One SL x2 and Sub) for a surround system and I have to:

1. Get up from my chair and walk my lazy butt over to the Beam to turn the darn system on
  2. Then wait 15-30 seconds for it to jump back on the internet (they really mean network) before I can hear anything
  3. I’m about ready to throw this junk in the bin
  4. Sonos get your act together!!

OK B4 anyone mentions it….Yes, the Move does have a Power Button but for obvious reasons...as you may want to conserve the battery when away from electrical.

Cheers!