Answered

10.2 sonosnet problems. SONOS please read

• 22 May 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
One of my Android controllers upgraded itself to 10.2 today (despite NOT having auto update enabled) and lost connectivity. A few days ago this controller, which I stress did NOT have auto update enabled started to update its software from 10.0 and I managed to prevent this. Initially, I wasn't too bothered since sonos touted their update as 'performance and reliability improvements' and didn't think any issue would ensue. Generally I do like to run updates. In order to keep things level and have a hope of keeping my devices with the same version (i.e functional) I updated my other controllers. 10.2 I later found has prevented access of my wireless controllers to sonosnet. So, now, when I'm stood next to a wired player, which is a considerable physical distance from my router I now have to walk with my phone (or other wireless controller) so that I'm within connectivity distance to my router's reception so that I can control the features of the device that I was stood next to. I contacted sonos help today and spoke to a very helpful guy who confirmed that this update had removed this useful function from android, for the sake 'of memory'. He has requested on my behalf that sonosnet connectivity over Android be reinstated, so dear sonos you can see who I am however, I expect that this request will be met with the same indifference you hold for your customers who request any setting or feature change that is at odds with your company ethos. While you are ignoring me, please can I ask for FULL functionality for the desktop controller. Yes, we do 'reach' for our phones, but if setting up significant changes a laptop or computer device and keyboard is king. Also, please be honest about the implications of updates. I could not anywhere find the removal of access via sonosnet in 10.2 and still cannot. Not impressed. Looking forward to changes, but not expecting them, since I'm just a customer...
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 May 2019, 03:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

user933635,

Just to clarify the auto-update feature within the Sonos App is for the 'firmware' update of the speakers. The controller App software updates on your mobile device are always controlled by your mobile operating system and that’s where you perhaps need to disable the update feature, rather than the actual Sonos App.

The Android access to SonosNet is only used by a very few users, it seems, and so it appears Sonos have now dropped the feature to introduce other things instead, but all is not lost, as a cheap WiFi access point can easily be cabled to a 'distant' speaker to allow a mobile device to control the Sonos device even at the same 'remote' location. A number of users actually prefer that method because the mobile controller stays connected to the main router at all locations, both near and far away from the central router.

So all is not lost for people in your situation. It’s a relatively minor issue with cabled access points being so cheap and the benefits this will bring to the remote location, when cabled via a Sonos Speaker.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hello Ken.

Thanks for taking the time to respond but I'm not really looking for 'your' answers. Let me explain before you jump. Once I got through to SONOS support I had an interesting conversation with Josh there and I asked for the Andorid access to sonosnet to be reinstated. He has passed on my request however, like several other recent and not so recent decisions that SONOS has enforced on the folk who buy their stuff, they don't really listen and they don't ever (in my opinion) revert their decisions so my efforts are probably entirely futile. Examples include the dedicated controllers, volume down ramp and even changes to the pause button (gen1); people make long-term decisions around their music setups and on one of SONOS' videos their Chief Designer (sic) talks of the 5 to 10-year life of their devices. Ah well, we'll see.

In some respects I applaud their decisions, but this one affected my setup so it hurt.

Next, I respect your comment that the update process is not controlled by the app, but I do NOT have auto-update enabled on any of my Andorid devices however, this tablet did auto-update this app. On a previous occasion it tried to in front of my eyes and i was able to prevent this from happening. On that occasion I wasn't anti-update, I just wasn't sure why this had been initiated and I'm still perplexed. It's disabled in the app and on the device. Anyway, in terms of being pro- or anti-update the world doesn't stand still and I generally support them, for the sake of security, but when long-used features disappear in the sake of 'performane and reliability improvements' I'm unhappy. Also, where does it state on SONOS's site that sonosnet for android would cease? It sure isn't here: https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/software/release/10-2 Why can't SONOS be more open about this and other changes they've made over the years, rather than back-dooring it in community places?

You wrote that: "...Android access to SonosNet is only used by a very few users, it seems...". I'd like to ask what basis you have for this assertion? The only people who will know are SONOS and they wouldn't ever release this sort of data. If you do know then perhaps say? All I do know is that since 10.2 came out there have been quite a few (>100) responses to the following post that did announce the change:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/android-devices-no-longer-able-to-join-sonosnet-6825471

Of course, like most post it has descended into a slanging match between users with SONOS standing back but there's no explanation, just their news.

On to wifi... I take it you didn't connect to sonosnet so wouldn't realise how useful it is/was. Before I had SONOS and used sonosnet I had three wifi routers to cover the house etc but fortunately was able to banish these (and their energy consumption) with sonosnet. Even better, sonosnet acted as a superb 'managed' mesh net as devices seamlessly moved from sonosnet AP to the strongest one (seemingly) rather than hanging on to a -90dB signal when there was a better (stronger) one nearby. Yes, there were some issues with connecting over sonosnet, namely slower LAN and WAN speeds from wifi devices and some curious interference between the network and amp circuits. This was most notieable on gen 1 products, and which SONOS denied. I actually had 2 RMAs on P5s because of this so the SONOS architecture was probably never designed to fully support this connectivity, especially as the products grew, but it was damn useful as with no other hardware it was possible to control devices you were stood next to, that were away from router wifi AP, in fact I turned off the wifi on my router as the sonosnet was better, for the needs it served.

Now it's gone, to make way for who knows what and why. Just remember that with software 3.7 it was 'a feature'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If folks not wanting community responses would not post to the community forums but instead use one of the other direct to Sonos communications options all involved might be happier.

See the contact page for options in your country.
I can see why you are hacked off in your situation, and there is no doubt that some users are adversely affected. As to whether very few users took advantage of this feature, as you say, only Sonos know and they aren't talking. But I think it is a near certainty, based on the following:
  1. No use by iOS users
  2. Nor by those in Standard (WiFi mode)
  3. Nor by SonosNet users whose homes are not so large as to cause connection issues between controller device and router (or AP). At least, true of the vast majority of such users, as smply no gain from it, and some downside.
To this I will add that until a couple of years ago I was a Sonos reseller. In hundreds of installs, I can count on one hand the number of systems where I thought it worth even mentioning this feature (although I saw SonosNet itself as a significant positive in many cases). I must know at least 30 current Sonos users, most of whom were not even aware the feature existed.

I am not belittling the effect on you personally, but it is a safe bet that you are in a tiny minority of users. Most of those can wire a single AP to a Sonos device to get round this in a more remote part of their system.

Sorry, but overall, it isn't a big deal.