YouTube Music Issues.

• 5 October 2020
  • 4 replies

I successfully converted from Google Music to YouTube Music but I’ve noticed a couple things I can no longer do. I’m not sure if this is the fault of Sonos or YouTube Music but wanted to get them out there so someone can fix them:

1. Can’t start a playlist based off an individual song. You can do this directly from the YouTube Music app so I know it’s possible - just not an option in the Sonos app
  2. Can give a thumbs up or down to a song from the Sonos app. This is a bigger issue than it might at first seem since it helps YouTube Music keep track of what you like and don’t like so the tailored playlists they create are more to your liking. They also keep track of every song you “like” as a separate playlist that I like to play sometimes.

Anyone else fine other issues that used to be present in Google Music that Sonos can no longer do with YouTube Music?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sonos, when will you bring YouTube Music up to par with Apple Music and Spotify?

Not a Sonos problem to solve: Sonos provide the app with all possible features, each service can choose how much or how little to implement on their SMAPI endpoint. YTM is especially poor in this regard, as it is run by an ad company, not a music company. Try iBroadcast instead.

Thanks.  I see there’s another thread here about this as well.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos, when will you bring YouTube Music up to par with Apple Music and Spotify?

Not a Sonos problem to solve: Sonos provide the app with all possible features, each service can choose how much or how little to implement on their SMAPI endpoint. YTM is especially poor in this regard, as it is run by an ad company, not a music company. Try iBroadcast instead.

I successfully converted from Google Music to YouTube Music but I’ve noticed a couple things I can no longer do. I’m not sure if this is the fault of Sonos or YouTube Music but wanted to get them out there so someone can fix them:

1. Can’t start a playlist based off an individual song. You can do this directly from the YouTube Music app so I know it’s possible - just not an option in the Sonos app
  2. Can give a thumbs up or down to a song from the Sonos app. This is a bigger issue than it might at first seem since it helps YouTube Music keep track of what you like and don’t like so the tailored playlists they create are more to your liking. They also keep track of every song you “like” as a separate playlist that I like to play sometimes.

Anyone else fine other issues that used to be present in Google Music that Sonos can no longer do with YouTube Music?

Yes, starting a playlist or “radio” from a song is often my preferred way to play a “random,” but thematically similar playlist--a sort of equivalent to a Pandora station.  

I would say that the broader issue is a lack of feature parity between music services in the Sonos controller app.  Apple Music (and I assume Spotify) also have more robust features than YouTube Music.  I suspect that the ball is in Sonos’ court here unless YouTube Music lacks an API or some other hook into these features.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There are many threads detailing features that have been lost in the Google → YTM transition. Good luck getting Google to fix them.