Answered

Volume issues - Amazon Music and Atmos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

73 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Corry P, the issue is solved now when crossfade if off, but persists when it's on.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Okay, this has been hard to replicate, but the issue persists even with crossfade off.

From what I was able to notice, you have to play a non-Atmos song, then an Atmos song and finally the next non-Atmos song will play much louder than normal.

I tried it with short songs, as it takes a shorter time to make all the tests:

HD - Maggie Mae (The Beatles) - 40 seconds

ATMOS - raindrops (Ariana Grande) - 38 seconds

If you try the following playlist in Sonos, with the repeat setting on, the second time you hear Maggie Mae, the volume will be much louder. Tap “pause” and then “play” and the volume will be back to normal.

https://music.amazon.ca/user-playlists/370eadf1b3c0449d8042274b45dfd939c2a0?marketplaceId=ART4WZ8MWBX2Y&musicTerritory=CA&ref=dm_sh_YOIZYL3SgchLvVhugjD6Kr3P9

Please, let me know if you have this same issue (I hope I'm not alone) 😀

Marcos

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@furacaopr,
I’ve just tried this on a Beam2 with surrounds and Sub and I can’t reproduce the issue mentioned. It seems to have been fixed here - the Maggie Mae track is not any louder the second or third time around - it stays the same volume throughout - the pausing/restarting of the track didn’t change its volume in my test here either.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@furacaopr,
I’ve just tried this on a Beam2 with surrounds and Sub and I can’t reproduce the issue mentioned. It seems to have been fixed here - the Maggie Mae track is not any louder the second or third time around - it stays the same volume throughout - the pausing/restarting of the track didn’t change its volume in my test here either.

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths, would you mind removing the Sub and trying again, please?

Hi All

I’d just like to add that my system is showing this behaviour too. I think it’s when the system switches from an Atmos track to an Ultra HD/HD track in Amazon. At the change of track the volume goes shockingly loud. Pausing and unpausing the system will cause the track to return to normal volume.

I have a Beam Gen 2, One SL surrounds, and a Sub Gen 3.

Edit: I tried disabling Atmos/Spatial audio in the Amazon App, and that seems to have helped but I’ll keep testing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hey @Corry P, the issue has just occurred and I submitted diagnostic #1236886664. I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Marcos

It’s late here, so will give it another go tomorrow without the Sub and let you know what I see - but definitely an increase in volume just for the last few seconds of the Maggie Mae track in my case, when crossfade has been enabled,  and it seems to occur as the system buffers the Ariana Grande raindrops track to play next. 

HTH for now.

Using the Beam2 here this morning, I removed the Sub so there was just the Beam2 and Sonos One (gen2) surrounds…

Without crossfade ’on’ I’m not seeing any problems, both tracks on repeat keep playing more or less at the same volume level and I’ve let them play a half dozen times, the volume of Maggie/Mae and Raindrops never alters.

My next test will be with crossfade ‘on’

Diagnostic from this test: 1058542414

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I've just had my system updated to 14.16 hoping for the best, but unfortunately this bug hasn't been fixed yet 😭😭😭

So with no Sub in the HT setup and with crossfade ‘on’ I’m seeing the exact same issue that I mentioned in my earlier post, there’s an increase in volume just for the last few seconds of the Maggie Mae track. This only happens when crossfade has been enabled. It still appears to occur as the system buffers the Ariana Grande raindrops Atmos track and gets it ready to play next

Diagnostic: 2032427962

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@furacaopr Have you tried playing directly from the amazon muic app?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Never before. I've just tried it and it says it's connected to Sonos, but nothing plays. I'll try to find out what's happening. There are a few devices I don't recognise.

I have created a ‘shared’ playlist of the two tracks from Amazon if anyone needs it, the link is below..

https://music.amazon.co.uk/user-playlists/6d3788b9cd9d44bfa0d565646d796524engb?ref=dm_sh_a8cEdr6Z5yg5zaUW9Rmg0btQQ

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@furacaoprIt needs you to install the Sonos Skill for alexa, even if you don’t use alexa.

It works like setting up an an Echo to control Sonos. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en_US

After that, try again with amazon music app. Should work.

Also just to add, I do see the same thing happen with the Arc, when playing the same two tracks on ‘repeat’ too (with crossfade enabled), FWIW. Diagnostic: 541451182

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@furacaoprIt needs you to install the Sonos Skill for alexa, even if you don’t use alexa.

It works like setting up an an Echo to control Sonos. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en_US

After that, try again with amazon music app. Should work.

I followed the steps, I had to remove Google Assistant from my Beam, but when trying to play from the Amazon Music app, Alexa (on Beam) says: “Sorry, I'm having trouble playing the music". 

Back to Google Assistant and Sonos app.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi, I tried everything on my system: rebooting, removing surrounds, changing Amazon account, removing HDMI, changing router, resetting the system and no help. The Maggie Mae track plays much louder the second time, even with crossfade off.

@Corry P, do you believe these diagnostics can help?

• Maggie Mae playing louder than normal: 866467994
  • Maggie Mae paused: 1829477711
  • Maggie Mae resumed at normal volume: 478246674

Thanks everyone!

Userlevel 7

@furacaopr - You won’t get Atmos playing from the Amazon Music app.

You can achieve the same outcome just by grouping another speaker with your Beam.

I wonder if it's because mine is the Arc SL so it doesn't have Alexa. I have tried every way that I could think possible to add it with no success. I just gave it another shot but still not happening. I'm the person that my friends and family call when they have issues. But this one doesn't seem fixable at the moment.

I'm in Canada also, just thought I would mention that in case that could be a limiting factor. Never know with these apps

The Arc SL should not make any difference - maybe chat to Sonos Support and see what they suggest…

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Understood, although I’m of the opinion that more data is better, as there’s no guaranty that your issue is exactly the same as someone else’s. The symptoms may match, sure, but the cause can be, at times, completely different. The joys of networking, I’m afraid. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It seems then to be a Beam-only issue now.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@furacaopr - You won’t get Atmos playing from the Amazon Music app.

You can achieve the same outcome just by grouping another speaker with your Beam.

Perfect, that's what I do eventually.