Answered

unable to play youtube music

It keeps showing no selection is available, anyone still having this issue?

icon

Best answer by danwooller 25 May 2023, 17:33

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Georgekoay 

I am listening to YouTube music as I write this, so no issues here.

I recommend you open the Sonos app and go to Settings » Services & Voice » YouTube Music » Remove Account. Once done, add the service once more from Settings » Services & Voice » Add a service » YouTube Music.

If this doesn’t help, or if you have trouble adding YouTube Music again, please switch your router off for at least 30 seconds, and try again a minute or two after WiFi returns.

Failing that, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

I tried all these steps and still having this problem. And the tech support team is not helpful as well, asked me to listen to radio instead… my YouTube music is working fine on my TV though.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Georgekoay 

I don’t know exactly what was said to you, but testing an alternative source of music is certainly a good step to try - it lets us know if the issue is more likely to be local or not. Does radio play without issue?

Looking at your case notes now, however, it seems you have changed location - if you have moved to a country where YouTube Music is unavailable. then it stands to reason that you are unable to play it.

This thread may be of help (ignore that it’s for Google Assistant):

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry,

yes I tried that too, changing my profile to the new country, and it doesn’t work as well. Will Sonos be able to see what’s the error at the back end? Simply showing no selection are available as the result doesn’t help in identifying the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Corry,

yes I tried that too, changing my profile to the new country, and it doesn’t work as well. Will Sonos be able to see what’s the error at the back end? Simply showing no selection are available as the result doesn’t help in identifying the issue.

After changing the country on your account it can take up to 24 hrs to take affect, try again later.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Georgekoay 

The logs should indeed indicate what is going wrong, but as @controlav says, it may be worth waiting one day to see if the country change helped. Otherwise, I recommend you get back in touch with our technical support team.

Badge

I have this issue as well.

Has worked fine forever.

Last couple of days says “unable to play <song name> - cannot connect to youtube music” for a few songs before giving up.

This means it’s getting the playlist from youtube, but can’t start the stream. I’d say this was a google problem, but the app on my pixel plays just fine.

Badge

Seems to be a youtube premium issue, I can play music with a freebie account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @danwooller 

Premium will play at a higher bitrate than Free and will therefore need more from the network - I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Also, I’ve been playing YouTube Premium all day without issue, so the issue is more likely to be local.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @danwooller 

Premium will play at a higher bitrate than Free and will therefore need more from the network - I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Also, I’ve been playing YouTube Premium all day without issue, so the issue is more likely to be local.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this, I’ve been on the phone with Google and their suggestion was to press the feedback button. I’ll get in touch.

Badge

Well, I think I’ve worked it out, either Sonos or Google are blocking my VPN provider. Changed the DHCP server to bypass the VPN and rebooted Sonos and it worked. Changed it back and reconnected the VPN to get a different IP address and it works.

Thanks @Corry P for making me think a little further, the premium/free was a red herring.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @danwooller 

Good to hear that you found an answer, and thanks for updating the thread!

I guess that might be why Sonos do not support the use of VPNs? Having said that, a VPN configured on the router should have a much better chance than once exclusive to client devices. That it didn’t suggests the servers you are connecting to are checking and choosing to deny service.

Badge

Hi @danwooller 

Good to hear that you found an answer, and thanks for updating the thread!

I guess that might be why Sonos do not support the use of VPNs? Having said that, a VPN configured on the router should have a much better chance than once exclusive to client devices. That it didn’t suggests the servers you are connecting to are checking and choosing to deny service.

If you’re not paying, you’re the product.

I’m paying so I’m not going to be the product as well. Using a VPN helps in that goal as does using PiHole to block analytics traffic. Have been using both Sonos and Google for years with both PiHole and a VPN, this is the first time I’ve had an issue

Thanks again @Corry P for helping me to get to a solution so I can blast Them Crooked Vultures throughout the house.

Userlevel 1

I have this issue but I don't have a VPN on and taking the account on and off of the Sonos app hasn't worked either. I'm not able to disconnect the router, so is there anyways to fix this?

(This is all that shows up)

No VPN and the exact same problem here.

Nothing avaiable, even the YTmusic logo that appears as a grey dotlined square !!!???

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Yomat 

I am listening to YouTube Premium as I write this (in the UK) and have no problem with browsing either.

In case the issue is specific to your region, I recommend keeping an eye on https://status.sonos.com/ - it’s not automatic and relies on reports from those such as yourself, but if the issue is not local to your own system then something should indicate as much there eventually.

In the meantime, I recommend you reboot all devices involved - your router, your speakers, and your phone/tablet. Any one may fix the issue, but it’s often easier to just do them all in one go. I recommend rebooting the router by removing power for at least 30 seconds.

I hope this helps.

i had the exact same problem when i was using my YT Channel user for YT Music. No content was displaying in the Sonos Controller. i removed the service and reconnected it with my Main Account from YT/Google. it worked since then...

I too have this issue, and honestly, most of the diganostics and sollutions you recommend sound like gaslighting at least.

I have a Synfonisk, we have downloaded the app over several devices, namely Samsung Android phone, iPhone 12, Windows 10 laptop, MacOS Ventura Macbook. While it is possible to cast any sound from the iPhone via Airplay, there is no way to connect any other source via the app, on either of the devices. The only accessible thing is Sonos Radio. No Youtube music, nothing. We don’t have VPN, firewall is not blocking it. The fact that Youtube is on Premium should not be the issue. Normally it’s the free versions that have limited functionalities, not the premium ones. 

Resetting the router should have no effect on troubleshooting device connectivity or especially app connectivity, unless general network connectivity is an issue. 

I have the same issue here. So I don’t know if Sonos is aware or if there is any way we can provide awareness about this issue, but every time you request support they male you test other music services and stuff but the service is not the issue. The issue here is due to Google policies or whatever they did something that separated your main Google account from your YouTube profile both music and videos account are the same this if you have been a YouTube user for very long and the issue here is that when you add YouTube music to Sonos system the Sonos system is only capable of taking your main Google account and not your YouTube profiles and the big issue is that I don’t use my Main Google for my YouTube Music! So I don’t have anything in there is completely useless come on guys! I don’t know if you are aware of this but is clearly a big problem. 

I have the same issue here. So I don’t know if Sonos is aware or if there is any way we can provide awareness about this issue, but every time you request support they male you test other music services and stuff but the service is not the issue. The issue here is due to Google policies or whatever they did something that separated your main Google account from your YouTube profile both music and videos account are the same this if you have been a YouTube user for very long and the issue here is that when you add YouTube music to Sonos system the Sonos system is only capable of taking your main Google account and not your YouTube profiles and the big issue is that I don’t use my Main Google for my YouTube Music! So I don’t have anything in there is completely useless come on guys! I don’t know if you are aware of this but is clearly a big problem. 

Maybe see if this link can perhaps assist you.. it looks like they can all be put under one roof…

https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/thread/88482844/how-to-transfer-youtube-music-premium-subscription-to-another-google-account?hl=en

If no joy then you probably need to take this up with Google, as their customer and explain to them the difficulties you are having with the different account credentials. 

Badge

I've been using YouTube music on my Sonos system for the past 2 years. Occasionally it'll show up the same as you guys saying unable to connect to YouTube music. I then have followed all the suggestions: rebooted my router,  cleared my cash, disconnected and tired to reconnect my YouTube music to my Sonos but couldn't because showing unable to connect through Internet. So what I found out is when I uninstall my sonos app and reinstall it then everything works fine again. I know that Sonos and Google have had a long lasting feud going on, so that might also be part of the problem. I hope this helps.

I have the same issue, and try to link and unlink few time, still unable to solve, hope Sonos team will help to find out solution...