Tune-In blocking foreign radio stations in the UK Master thread

• 13 September 2020
  • 101 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

101 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Details of the lawsuit are here: https://torrentfreak.com/tunein-radio-infringed-sony-warners-copyrights-high-court-rules-191101/

Came here to say the same thing -- if you can get hold of the stream link you can add the stations as above.

For example, SomaFM have added their links

https://somafm.com/listen/uktunein.html

Some of my fav stations don’t seem to have this link - get in touch with the station to see if they can help.

SomaFM were incredibly helpful as an example for me.

Hi, I tried the URL you kindly provided but I get a message informing  it’s not encoded properly 

The link provided is a web page, not a streaming URL.  The URLs are on the web page 

Userlevel 2

LookIng for easy 106.9. Chattanooga. Not accessible on Tunein anymore. Anyone have a direct stream as I can’t find one and my tuner doesn’t have it. Thanks  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

LookIng for easy 106.9. Chattanooga. Not accessible on Tunein anymore. Anyone have a direct stream as I can’t find one and my tuner doesn’t have it. Thanks  

Try https://prod-54-159-61-52.wostreaming.net/brewerchattanooga-wplzhd2aac-hlsc4.m3u8

So i cannot get my favourite USA station on Sonos Radio, TuneIn, My Radio Player or via an URL.

Sonos is doing a good job on this one! 

Hi sonos members

Need some help and advice on playing radio stations outside of UK. My sonos just wont connect to them although it was able to in the past. Ive tried getting help from chat service without much luck and their limited hours of service makes it difficult to get access to them.

Thanks

Kit

Thanks Jay. I wasnt told that. Will use myTuner as you've suggested. 

follow these instructions 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/260?language=en_US#:~:text=Select%20Manage%20and%20Add%20Radio,added%20station%20will%20be%20listed.

using the direct link you have posted

Unfortunately the instructions use TuneIn to access the stream - this is what has stopped working this morning :( 

If i use the tunein app to look for the stations I am using they do not work, but following those instruction have worked for me.

Once you have added the stream you need to navigate via the app to:

Browse (note icon at the bottom of the app) >Tunein>My Radio stations

You don’t access them from the My sonos page.

I am accessing blocked streams on my sonos device right now as it is a direct link.

*UPDATE*

I used the link you posted - https://stream.revma.ihrhls.com/zc193 and I can confirm I can listen to this station if you follow the steps here.

I am so fed up. For the past 5-6 years I have listened to Capital Jazz Lounge through my Sonos products on a daily basis. I had the station installed via Tunein, my tuner, radio.net and more recently Sonos radio. This way if any of the services went down, I was still able to access via a different service. The station has now disappeared from Sonos radio, Tunein and Mytuner and as of the end of October, radio.net via Sonos has gone down due to ‘radio.net currently working on their infrastructure’. 
I haven’t found any other station that I like as much as Capital Jazz Lounge and am disgusted that Sonos have not found a workaround for this issue. Sonos help advisors seem to be not only unable to understand the issue when you speak to them but unable to provide a suitable workaround. It’s ridiculous that in this day and age with the amount of technology available, no resolution can be provided. I have contacted the station asking for their streaming url but I suspect that adding this manually will probably still not work as it has to be done via Tunein. If anybody has any useful advice, please let me know!! 🙏

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I haven’t found any other station that I like as much as Capital Jazz Lounge and am disgusted that Sonos have not found a workaround for this issue.

Did you read the thread? This is the result of a lawsuit, and all of the aggregators are now following UK law. Are you suggesting that Sonos break UK law?

The easy fix is to find an actual streaming URL for this station and add it to your radio list directly, using the desktop app. Despite your attitude I just spent 2 minutes finding the stream url for you:

http://stream.radio.co/se9fddf547/listen

You’re welcome.

I wasn’t being rude to you! Why have you taken my comment so personally? Yes I have read the thread and do understand that this due to Tunein and the lawsuit. I am simply stating my frustration as others on this thread have. I do not see how my comment has upset you so personally? 

By the way - thank you for the streaming url! I would love to know how you found it because I could not. It just kept taking the web page url and throwing out an error message. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I wasn’t being rude to you! Why have you taken my comment so personally? Yes I have read the thread and do understand that this due to Tunein and the lawsuit. I am simply stating my frustration as others on this thread have. I do not see how my comment has upset you so personally? 

I am a Sonos super-fan. When they get criticized unfairly, I defend them. Sorry.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So the question is what is Sonos going to do about this ? Sonos radio was launched as a selling point to update kit get us to go to the S2 app, and now it's effectively useless for what a lot of us want it to do . Sonos must have known that tune-in had an ongoing court case that had the possibility of being found against them ? And yet they still copied it or had some sort of agreement with tune-in to use their system. Sonos don't seem to be saying a lot about this either, but after the May/June launch of S2 when Sonos radio was used as a selling point to the great new future of Sonos listening, it hasn't turned out so well. If you launch a service with a fanfare you better be able to make it work .

Sonos are saying literally nothing about this. So I am guessing lawyers are involved, which doesn’t bode well for UK users.

That issue will be local to your system but I suggest you start a new thread so that this thread can remain on topic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I feel that there could be clearer directions given on the Sonos website on how to obtain the streaming url. You should be the Sonos advisor and support developer! 🙏

The method to determine streaming urls varies substantially as there are so many different ways of hosting streams on web sites. This one was easy-peasy though, just head to read first few lines of the Javascript on their web site.

I think I’ll keep my day job thanks - Xbox is a lot of fun (though I did get a job offer from Sonos a few years ago).

That issue will be local to your system but I suggest you start a new thread so that this thread can remain on topic.

I think it’s linked as this problem only started on Thursday?

can anyone help me play the greek radio station Koi Sushi Radio? I have tried adding manually and it says encoded wrongly. I can find it in Sonos Radio but it won’t play which is the same for several stays I search and find yet they just won't play. When I go to the actual website for Koi sushi it requires me to have a password and log in details. Any help appreciated. Thanks :)

No there is absolutely no chance of this.  How is the result of a court ruling on radio stations supposed to affect your ability to play local music files?  Lots of things happened in the world last Thursday that were unrelated to the TuneIn radio ruling.  My Sonos Music Library is working fine.  Now can we please stop hijacking this thread?

I did start this on a different thread originally and was advised to head on to this one as, as it’s related to last Thursday and TuneIn

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

TuneIn is back up for live streams for BBC stations, but 2-3 weeks on still doesn’t have updated links for most shows. Things like Friday Night Comedy are updating, but I’m guessing that’s because it’s a podcast/ RSS. 

I’m wondering if the listen again issues are part of the BBC pulling itself away from TuneIn for radio, and trying to shift everything to BBC Sounds as per: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/37e4e3f6-fbd2-4c14-8d72-7f7139641582. The BBC Sounds app on iOS apparently already streams to Sonos, but Android users are SoL...

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Shocked that Sonos haven’t even acknowledged the problem as TuneIn have. Also Sonos Radio has only been around for 5 months and already doesn’t work anymore, that doesn’t looks good.

My guess is it’ll get sorted in a while, Sonos would have paid TuneIn for the feeds and are now not getting a service, TuneIn don’t really have a UK business without foreign radio so it’ll just be a matter of negotiating a reasonable license fee to the greedy major label suits.

I did start this on a different thread originally and was advised to head on to this one as, as it’s related to last Thursday and TuneIn

Please read carefully.  My comment was addressed to the person who thinks the problem with his Sonos Music Library is related, not to you.  I am sure your problem is related.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Totally unrelated. Please, create a new thread.

Another tweak I found to adding stations manually. I tried adding Psychedelik Ambient from the URL in the PLS file which didn’t work. Eventually I removed the ‘s’ from https:// to become http://  and it worked.

You also need to remove any non functioning stations from TuneIn / My Radio Stations and Sonos favourites before adding them again manually.