Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

I followed Edward R's advice to check wireless interference as a possible reason for the Spotify problem and was able to eliminate the skipping, just by switching the Sonos wireless channel from 1 to 6. I have my Play 3 wired via ethernet cable to my Orbi Satellite router, and they sit < 1 ft apart. But I was able to eliminate proximity as a source of interference. Note that, as others have reported, this problem was oddly specific to playing Spotify through Sonos, whether starting from the Sonos app or Spotify app. I had no problem playing Spotify to my Google Home, to my Airpods or other bluetooth devices, or from the device itself (iOS or MacOS). Nor did I experience issues when playing Pandora tracks through Sonos. With the channel switch, Pandora still works fine, as expected. So, thanks, Edward R!! ☺️
@jrich05 Thanks for reaching out. I closed your other thread so we can focus on troubleshooting here. The streaming data isn't getting to your speakers fast enough. In your report I see that your home network is running on channel 1, which is pretty crowded. Try switching your router over to channel 11 and see if that helps. It's a good idea to make sure all of your access points are on the same channel, too.

The only devices nearby that are broadcasting on channel 1 are my Orbi base router and satellite. I'm wondering if the base router, located about 40 feet away and upstairs from the Sonos Ones, is actually interfering with the signal from the satellite, only about 6 feet away from the Sonos Ones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@jrich05 Thanks for reaching out. I closed your other thread so we can focus on troubleshooting here. The streaming data isn't getting to your speakers fast enough. In your report I see that your home network is running on channel 1, which is pretty crowded. Try switching your router over to channel 11 and see if that helps. It's a good idea to make sure all of your access points are on the same channel, too.
Hi, I just posted this new thread (https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-one-spotify-stops-playing-then-skips-to-next-song-6829235) and then discovered this thread which seems to be the hub of support for this topic. My diagnostic number is 167300212.

Spotify songs frequently stop playing, goes silent for a few seconds, then skips to the next song in the playlist.

• Two Sonos Ones in stereo mode
  • Currently a wireless connection (though this problem happened I had one wired too)
  • I have two different permanent IP addresses reserved for each Sonos One.
  • I have a Netgear Orbi two-unit (one base, one satellite) system, and the Sonos Ones are wirelessly connected to the satellite which is about 6 feet away on the other side of a standard interior wall.
  • I have fast internet (400Mbps down, 20 up) and frequently use VoIP for hour long work calls with no issues if that's any evidence that I have good WiFI + internet).
  • WiFi is set to channel 1, next door neighbor is channel 8. I live in a suburban neighborhood and only 2-3 other networks show up.
  • I have a baby video monitor in the house, but the camera is upstairs ~30 feet away and the screen unit is usually not within 10 feet of the speakers, and skipping occurs even when it is upstairs too, far away.
Curious to see what my diagnostic says!

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So I've done that and guess what still skipping tracks.

Diagnostic 2095212266

Hi there,

In your reports I see that the communication between your Sonos speakers and network looks okay. The streaming audio is not getting to your speakers fast enough, and there are DNS errors when trying to connect to Spotify. Please reboot your router, and each Sonos speaker to ensure they are all using up to date network information. If that doesn't help, I'd recommend giving us a call. Our phone team has more tools available and can help troubleshoot the connection to Spotify.
So I've done that and guess what still skipping tracks.

Diagnostic 2095212266
I found the following on reserving IP addresses on the Virgin Hub 3.0 (edited to put in Sonos device):

The easiest way is to use DHCP reservation on the router.

Navigate to 192.168.0.1 in your web browser and log in.
  • If you are using a Hub 3 go to Advanced->DHCP.
  • Scroll down
  • Select a Sonos device from your list of connected devices.
  • Scroll down and you'll see the Add reserved rule Box is now populated with the Sonos device's MAC and IP address.
  • Click Add rule
You may be kicked out of the Hub interface at this point - but if you go back in and check you'll see the printer has now been added to the list of reserved devices.

Do this for each of your Sonos devices. Note if your router is not listing Sonos devices specifically, you can find the MAC address of each device by going to Settings > About My Sono System. All but the last 2 digits of the serial number is the MAC address. Use this MAC address to find out which devices on the router are Sonos.

See also this video:

Thank you so much for your help. Will love this a go!
I keep having this issue aswell. Have restarted modem/router and sonos speakers, logged out of all spotify accounts and back in but this doesnt stop it. Diagnostics 1749806298
I found the following on reserving IP addresses on the Virgin Hub 3.0 (edited to put in Sonos device):

The easiest way is to use DHCP reservation on the router.

Navigate to 192.168.0.1 in your web browser and log in.
  • If you are using a Hub 3 go to Advanced->DHCP.
  • Scroll down
  • Select a Sonos device from your list of connected devices.
  • Scroll down and you'll see the Add reserved rule Box is now populated with the Sonos device's MAC and IP address.
  • Click Add rule
You may be kicked out of the Hub interface at this point - but if you go back in and check you'll see the printer has now been added to the list of reserved devices.

Do this for each of your Sonos devices. Note if your router is not listing Sonos devices specifically, you can find the MAC address of each device by going to Settings > About My Sono System. All but the last 2 digits of the serial number is the MAC address. Use this MAC address to find out which devices on the router are Sonos.

See also this video:

I have no idea how to do that 😂
Tell us the make/model of your router and we can give you some help.

Thanks, its a virgin router. Think it might be a hub 3.0 vmdg505

Tell us the make/model of your router and we can give you some help.

Hi Jeff, thanks for your reply.
I switch off the router and sonos speakers by the mains every night and they come back on around 3pm every day. So I don't think rebooting will help as they are switched off daily.
I will give a call on Monday when the lines are back open
If you are doing this every night, if you haven't already you will want to reserve permanent IP addresses for your Sonos devices (at the very least). Most residential routers do not keep track of their assigned IP addresses across a reboot, which can lead to duplicate IP addresses causing sporadic connection problems. In your router setup there will be a way to reserve the same IP for each device, thus assuring it will never hand out a duplicate.

I switch off the router and sonos speakers by the mains every night and they come back on around 3pm every day. So I don't think rebooting will help as they are switched off daily.

If you are doing this every night, if you haven't already you will want to reserve permanent IP addresses for your Sonos devices (at the very least). Most residential routers do not keep track of their assigned IP addresses across a reboot, which can lead to duplicate IP addresses causing sporadic connection problems. In your router setup there will be a way to reserve the same IP for each device, thus assuring it will never hand out a duplicate.

Hi, I'm also having the same issue. Keeps skipping song or pausing. 370688406
Thanks
Hi there,

It looks like there are some connection errors between your speakers and Spotify. These may be related to DNS lookups timing out. Please reboot your router, then also reboot your Sonos speakers to refresh your network's information. If the issue persists, please give us a call.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks

Hi there,

It looks like there are some connection errors between your speakers and Spotify. These may be related to DNS lookups timing out. Please reboot your router, then also reboot your Sonos speakers to refresh your network's information. If the issue persists, please give us a call.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same problem. I just bought my Sonos Beam, I am wired to the router and our internet connection is pretty fast 150Mbs. Spotify keeps skipping or dropping. Here is my diagnostics number: 554724061

Hi there,

Your speaker is having a hard time authenticating with Spotify. Please try removing Spotify from your Sonos system, add it back, then test again. It may also help to reboot your router and speakers. Doing so refreshes your network's information and may help.

If the above steps don't help, our phone team can help troubleshoot live. You can find our phone number here.
Thanks
I am having the same problem. I just bought my Sonos Beam, I am wired to the router and our internet connection is pretty fast 150Mbs. Spotify keeps skipping or dropping. Here is my diagnostics number: 554724061
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@gruntso There are still wireless communication errors showing up. Also the data is not getting to your speakers fast enough. Your Sonos system is on a busy wireless channel, channel 1 looks best in your area. Try that, then go through our troubleshooting guide which covers many common troubleshooting tips. If you're still having issues it would be a good idea to continue troubleshooting live with our phone team. Please give us a call, our number is found here.
Did a DNS reset. had some improved functionality for a bit, but things have fallen back into an intermittent mess.
Latest Diagnostic is here:

• What devices do you have? Soundbar, subwoofer, (2) 1s, (1) 3 (1) Connect
  • Has anything changed on the network? Added the Connect back to my system
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to? Spotify and TuneIn
  • Is the behaviour always the same? In the sense that I can count on it skipping while I am listening, yes.
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random? It is random.
This is just massively frustrating. Lots of money spent for a whole house audio system.

I am having all kinds of skipping issues and since Spotify (and TuneIn) are my primary sources of music I really need help. I feel like the whole reason I have the system is to listen to music yet I cannot. Really frustrating.

• What devices do you have? Soundbar, subwoofer, (2) 1s, (1) 3.
  • Has anything changed on the network? Nothing
  • Is the behaviour always the same? In the sense that I can count on it skipping while I am listening, yes.
Diagnostic Info Submissions:

please help!

-Hunter
It looks like there's a DNS issue of some sort, try rebooting your router and each Sonos player. Send along a new report if that doesn't clear things up.

Thank you Jeff. I feel like the router and device resets seems to have helped a bit, but I am still having skipping issues, new Diagnostic: 582536583
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I think at least in my specific case we can rule out interference or the network being the issue. What are your thoughts?

Clearly wireless interference should not be an issue, so if you share a Diagnostic code then the Sonos folks should be able to help you. My WAG would be DNS as it sounds like you have a solid wired network but the diags should point out the root cause.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having all kinds of skipping issues and since Spotify (and TuneIn) are my primary sources of music I really need help. I feel like the whole reason I have the system is to listen to music yet I cannot. Really frustrating.

please help!

-Hunter

It looks like there's a DNS issue of some sort, try rebooting your router and each Sonos player. Send along a new report if that doesn't clear things up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi I am having this issue of songs playing for around 20s then skipping. Sometimes playback stops completely needing manual intervention to restart.
  • I have 4 "Play:1"s grouped and a bridge
  • Nothing has changed on my network
  • Spotify
  • Behaviour seems a little unrepeatable in terms of the playback duration is always slightly different
  • It is fairly common lately but seems to be a bit random
Diagnostics confirmation number is: 1123297514

Hi there,

Thanks for the report. Overall your system's communication on your local network looks good. This issue seems to be upstream of your speakers. Try rebooting your router and each Sonos unit to update their network information, then test out Spotify again.

please help!

-Hunter