Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

Hi, I’m also experiencing this issue starting about two weeks ago after years of no problems. While playing Spotify, the song cuts out and immediately skips to the next song in the queue. A few songs may then play without issue but then it happens again, seemingly at random. I can’t think of any significant changes to my home network that would have caused this. Diagnostic code is 735907413. This is extremely annoying. Please help.

Thanks.

Badge

Thanks for the clarification @wentzel

It’s more a question of if the Dream Machine supports STP at all and it doesn’t seem to, you can test this by plugging two of them in and seeing if the network breaks. 

I’m not sure exactly what that means, all i know is that it doesn’t support configuring the spanning tree protocol costs. However, I connected one more Sonos device, and the network matrix at <device ip>/support/review looks better. It looks like both devices are forwarding and there are no orange or red squares for the moment. I submitted a diacnostic report (1234271432) and just exactly while I was doing that the sound from the problematic Connect disappeared, but just after the diagnostic report was sent in the sound came back, and it has been working well while writing this message. Here’s a new report, in case the first one was corrupted: 1356008615. Oh! Interesting! Actually, the problematic device shuts down the sound during the submission of the diagnostic report. Is that the expected behavior? It is one of two “secondary nodes”.

Oh, and by the way - after hooking up the second device also, the Connect no longer drops the sound when a third or fourth device is added to the group. However, when I group all five devices it still drops (and comes back every once in a while, kind of like how it was with two in a group before)...

Were you able to see if there were multicast settings or LAN/WLAN multicast filtering settings int the UDM? 

There is a possibility to enable or disable “Multicast DNS”, which according to the description “enables the mDNS reflector service on UniFi Security Gateways. It is currently enabled.

I certainly will be taking some of my down time to investigate this further for my own edification as well as for trying to crack this particular nut. 

Cool! Thanks for the dedication :)

If you have network wall ports in every room, they would also be fed by a switch, do you know where and what this switch is?

If the switch feeding the wall ports is managed, it can be configured to support STP, if not we’re back to square one.

Well the switch that is originally in the house is not managed. As I’m not using all network ports in the house, I’m not using that switch, just the UDM. It only has four ports though, so if I need to hook up more devices I’ll need to use the original switch that isn’t managed. Currently, both Sonos devices that are hooked up, are hooked up to the UDM.

As for the grouped playback behavior, that’s going to be tied to how well the players are communicating to each other, the one wired shouldn’t be the one dripping out though. Very strange. 

Does it ever matter which audio source you are using, Spotify vs radio for instance?

I’m usually listening to Spotify. Just now I tested with TuneIn radio, and the same issue was there. It kind of works when the Connect is grouped with one to three more devices, but as soon as the fifth is added to the group the sound disappears, but still displaying as playing with sound in the Sonos software.

Jean, Please see my answers in red above.

I’ll keep listening today with both devices hooked up by wire, and see if it works any better.

EDIT: Uhm...now it’s super weird actually. Now the problematic device actually doesn’t really work well by itself anymore. But when grouped with another device it seems to be working fine. Not if it’s grouped with all of them though… :S

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi I am having this issue of songs playing for around 20s then skipping. Sometimes playback stops completely needing manual intervention to restart.
  • I have 4 "Play:1"s grouped and a bridge
  • Nothing has changed on my network
  • Spotify
  • Behaviour seems a little unrepeatable in terms of the playback duration is always slightly different
  • It is fairly common lately but seems to be a bit random
Diagnostics confirmation number is: 1123297514

Hi there,

Thanks for the report. Overall your system's communication on your local network looks good. This issue seems to be upstream of your speakers. Try rebooting your router and each Sonos unit to update their network information, then test out Spotify again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having all kinds of skipping issues and since Spotify (and TuneIn) are my primary sources of music I really need help. I feel like the whole reason I have the system is to listen to music yet I cannot. Really frustrating.

• What devices do you have? Soundbar, subwoofer, (2) 1s, (1) 3.
  • Has anything changed on the network? Nothing
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to? Spotify and TuneIn
  • Is the behaviour always the same? In the sense that I can count on it skipping while I am listening, yes.
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random? It is random.
Diagnostic Info Submissions:

please help!

-Hunter

It looks like there's a DNS issue of some sort, try rebooting your router and each Sonos player. Send along a new report if that doesn't clear things up.
Badge

I am having the same skipping issue while playing Spotify from the Sonos app that started all of a sudden a few months ago. It would skip in the middle of a song and then skip the next track as well. I have a 15-song playlist that I use as an alarm everyday and the same songs skips. Here’s the pattern:

Song 1 - ok
Song 2 - ok
Song 3 - ok
Song 4 - skips whole track
Song 5 - ok
Song 6 - skips in middle
Song 7 - skips whole track
Song 8 - ok
Song 9 - ok
Song 10 - skips in middle
Song 11 - skips whole track
Song 12 - ok
Song 13 - skips in middle
Song 14 - skips whole track
Song 15 - ok

This problem occurs for any playlist and radio stations that I listen to from Spotify via the Sonos app although I don’t think it’s the same pattern of song skips as above. However, everything plays perfectly when playing directly from either the Spotify iOS app or Spotify desktop app via Spotify Connect to my speakers. Playing other music services from the Sonos app work fine too so it’s just a specific problem of Spotify from the Sonos app.

I have several speakers that are connected to ethernet directly and am using SonosNet. Nothing has changed with my network and everything has been working perfectly for a few years until a few months ago. I was hoping the new S2 app release was going to fix this issue but the issue still occurs.

Have waited for this issue to happen again before submitting the answers below together with the diagnostics:

• What devices do you have?
    • 1 x Playbar, 1 x Sub, 1 x Beam, 4 x Play:1, 1 x Play:3, 4 x One, 1 x One SL (on SonosNet)
  • Has anything changed on the network?
    • No
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?
    • Spotify through the Sonos App (iOS and Mac)
  • Is the behaviour always the same?
    • Yes, song skips in middle and skips the song after as well
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?
    • It usually happens on the 6th song played on any playlist but it also happens randomly and often after that
  • Diagnostics Number
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @wentzel,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, unfortunately the diagnostic report you submitted is corrupted so i’m not able to pull anything useful from it. 

I wasn’t able to track down any specific documentation regarding the Ubiquiti Dream Machine specifically but common settings found in other Ubiquiti network equipment. 

You may actually find some useful information on the Ubiquiti support community regarding Sonos systems.

CST refers to Common Spanning Tree so yes its related to STP,  but again you may need to reach out to Ubiquiti or a network  professional to configure this device.    

This problem with Spotify only (not occuring with Apple Music) is easily reproductible for me by putting all my Sonos devices on one group and jumping from song to song, or advancing the time in a song, using the S2 Sonos app.  

With Apple Music, I get a normal experience, but with Spotify I get random erratic results of all sorts…

I am using the same song on Apple Music and Spotify to keep the comparison as good as possible.  In the comparison I am doing, everything is identical, with the exception of Apple Music vs Spotify.

Somehow, the Sonos “orchestration” across all devices seems to be good with Apple Music, but not as good with Spotify.

Hi, I am loosing connection with Spotify. The problem is random and correct by itself after a while.

The diagnostic number is: 184885700

Thanks for the support.

Regards,
Julio

CONFIRMATION NUMBER: 773318790

I have the same problem if not worse.

I have 4 x SONOS ONE SL’s + ONE SUB AND ONE AMP.

Each room has a PC with SONOS on there, all speakers are hooked up via ethernet with WIFI turned off. IP addresses are locked by the firewall 10.10.20.170-176

We have been receiving a bunch of dropouts. Music plays but then randomly the music stops playing but the counter is still counting in the application. 

The logs submitted should show the dropouts. It is happening in all 4 rooms without any idea why.

HELP, this is very bad and annoying.

Each room using a Spotify account, we have a family account with Spotify.

Please contact me ASAP.

Hello - my Spotify keeps skipping and cutting out. It will skip a couple songs and cuts out 30-45 seconds before finally playing another song. Pandora works fine. Diagnostic should show the issue running Spotify and a lack of issues when I switch to Pandora. Please help, I really prefer Spotify but this is killing me.

diagnostic:  613749862

thanks….jeff

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I followed Edward R's advice to check wireless interference as a possible reason for the Spotify problem and was able to eliminate the skipping, just by switching the Sonos wireless channel from 1 to 6. I have my Play 3 wired via ethernet cable to my Orbi Satellite router, and they sit < 1 ft apart. But I was able to eliminate proximity as a source of interference. Note that, as others have reported, this problem was oddly specific to playing Spotify through Sonos, whether starting from the Sonos app or Spotify app. I had no problem playing Spotify to my Google Home, to my Airpods or other bluetooth devices, or from the device itself (iOS or MacOS). Nor did I experience issues when playing Pandora tracks through Sonos. With the channel switch, Pandora still works fine, as expected. So, thanks, Edward R!! ☺️

My pleasure! Good job on getting that sorted, if I may say so. 👍🏼
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @RonSingapore,

Thank you for the additional information about your system. 

I asked about the wiring since the only way to set Sonos on its own channel is to wire a Sonos player to the network via Ethernet cable.

Is there anything that you can do to reduce wireless interference in your network?

Same issue here recently. When streaming Music on Spotify via the SONOS App on iOS, Songs randomly skip to the next song in the middle of the song.

I do have a Playbar, a Sub and two One SL

Diagnostics confirmation number 1002688233

Badge

I have the same problem with my Play 1. Spotify skipping songs from time to time. It started just recently. And Sonos you can’t tell me it’s because of my internet connection. It worked for the last years without a problem. FIX IT!!

Exactly the same problem and behaviour at my side

@Jamanda @MaxAV8R @adionortega Thank you for the follow up information and diagnostic reports. @Jamanda I would advise that you test while one of our products are wired to the router for Sonosnet. We are still seeing performance issues for Sonos on your wifi network with underflow errors. You may want to speak with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) about this, as well as, have you gathered your network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). When you do wire one product into the router then power re-boot the other Sonos units for 15 seconds so they re-boot into Sonosnet for testing. if you are still having the issue I would recommend that you call in and speak with our agents along with a diagnostic report number while testing it in Sonosnet and your topology information.

@MaxAV8R and @adionortega I would advised that you please attempt the steps provided in the Best Answer, as well as from my recent post as your diagnostic reports are showing the same underflow errors but with no re-booting being completed. After you have completed those steps and gathered your network topology I would advise that you call in as well if the issues are still ongoing after the testing steps.

Hello - my Spotify keeps skipping and cutting out. It will skip a couple songs and cuts out 30-45 seconds before finally playing another song. Pandora works fine. Diagnostic should show the issue running Spotify and a lack of issues when I switch to Pandora. Please help, I really prefer Spotify but this is killing me.

diagnostic:  613749862

thanks….jeff

Jeff, try to play Spotify songs in the native app and push the music via SpotifyConnect to the Sonos speakers. See if it stutters at all. 

You can then even control it using the Sonos controller, but it’s awkward and requires having two apps open.

Same problem here. I am using the Negear Orbi mesh router, nothings changed recently although I did change the wifi channel to 6 but it didn't change anything. 

The Sonosnet option is grayed out for me.

Diagnostic number 819722271

Badge

Hello @wentzel,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, unfortunately the diagnostic report you submitted is corrupted so i’m not able to pull anything useful from it. 

I wasn’t able to track down any specific documentation regarding the Ubiquiti Dream Machine specifically but common settings found in other Ubiquiti network equipment. 

You may actually find some useful information on the Ubiquiti support community regarding Sonos systems.

CST refers to Common Spanning Tree so yes its related to STP,  but again you may need to reach out to Ubiquiti or a network  professional to configure this device.    

So what am I supposed to do to make my Sonos products work? Configuring the spanning tree costs is not a function that is available on the UDM, so a network professional can't do it either.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there, @larsvillaume

Can you provide us with a Diagnostic Report confirmation number so that we can look more closely at what might be happening?  

Hi @rwperio,

Thanks for the diagnostic. Unfortunately, you’re running into an issue we’re aware of that can cause players to skip tracks or stutter during Spotify playback.

We are aware of this issue with Spotify, and we are actively working with them on a resolution. For the time being, please make use of Spotify Connect when listening to music on Sonos. We do not have additional information to share at this time, but we will notify as updates become available.

More than 3 weeks and no updates?  I have been patient with the constant interruptions hoping Sonos would fix this but it appears that isn’t going to happen anytime soon and using connect is not the answer.  Is there any update on getting this addressed?

Mine has started doing this from last week.

worked fine for 8 years, all of a sudden Spotify plays for 5-6 songs then mid song skips 2 along, always 2 along. Been through different t set ups with different twitter chats nothing changes! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Mine started off skipping songs, etc but now over the past few days it’s getting worse, songs stuttering on and off through playback now. 
It’s that annoying I’m having to just turn it off? Never had any problems and loved my set up until a few months back but proving to be to frustrating and annoying at the minute. 
I was going to get a roam but not bothering with that now. 🤦🏼

Had the same issue… finally just removed the Sonos app from my android phone and reinstalled the app...it re-connected to the wifi and now seems to be working...try that if you have not yet already

Userlevel 2

I got the same issue.

I will try to remove sonos controller this week end if it can help.

Diagnostic : 2036621421

When I play music using Spotify through my Sonos One, every couple of songs or so, a song from the play queue (regardless if it’s a playlist or an album) will be skipped. I started noticing because the songs that starts playing when the previous song was skipped doesn’t start right from the beginning but a couple of seconds into the song. 

• What devices do you have?

Sonos One

• Has anything changed on the network?

No

• Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?

Spotify

• Is the behaviour always the same?

Yes

• Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?

I can recreate it with ease, it happens every single time I play use Spotify on my Sonos One but cannot predict for sure which songs are going to be skipped and which are going to play properly.

• Diagnostics confirmation number: