Sonos S1 hangs when attempting to add any music service

Badge

Hi. I’ve had an S1 system for over a decade (3x S5 gen1, Amp and Connect) and it generally worked fine. Over the years I’ve subscribed to (legit) Napster, Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music and Deezer. Plus BBC Sounds and a few other services without issue. 

Last night, we purchased our first S2 product, a Move. I removed all existing devices, reset them and, after setting up the S2 with Move, created a new clean S1 system.

All of the devices are there, but the only thing I can connect to is Sonos Radio. If I click to add a music service I just get a spinning ball type icon (happy to share a screen grab if needed) and the app hangs. It responds fine if I select to add a voice system.

I’ve obviously rebooted everything multiple times. I’ve reset the S1 app. I’ve deleted and reinstalled it. On two iOS phones. Nothing works. There are no issues using the Move on the S2 app. All services are visible and available to add.

I spent over an hour on Sonos chat and was ultimately told to call the UK freephone number quoting a case reference. When calling the number a voice recording informs that lines are closed. At 10am when they’re supposedly open?

I’m at a dead end and we’ve gone from ‘let’s trade all of the S1 kit up to a new S2 setup and add a sound bar and sub for the lounge’ to ‘the S2 is going straight back to the shop and the S1s in a skip because we can’t listen to anything.’

Before I literally take the S1 stuff to the recycling centre, does anybody have any tips or ideas that might save the day? To say we’re fed up is an understatement.

Thanks.

Corry P 9 months ago

Hi @popguru et al

To confirm what @doctorbee just reported, we now consider this issue resolved. If you continue to experience this issue, please get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

View original

59 replies

I had the same issue on Sunday. Hope it is now fixed.

Suddenly decided to try again today and the Sonos1 app allowed me to add Spotify.  Only things I did since the last time I added a response to this thread were: A. Reboot my phone at some point B. Update my iOS at some point in the last week C. Connect to my friends Sonos2 hardware via the Sonos2 app.  I don’t know if any of the above individually had an impact but when I decided to try again this evening the Sonos1 app allowed me to add additional services and it worked. Go figure.

Badge

I just wanted to update this thread as to where we’re up to personally. I did receive an email from Sonos support. I tried responding but received no reply. I received a follow up saying that the case would be closed unless I responded within a certain timeframe. I replied again, and received no response. I have no idea if the case is open or closed: life moves on and this was consuming far more of my time than it warranted.

It’s disappointing to see that others have encountered the same issue and - speaking with my ‘day job’ hat on for a second - it must be frustrating and not just for us as consumers but also for Sonos themselves, if there is no clear pattern emerging. We were beta testing a video game once and the team repeatedly reported interference when one particular local train passed by. Sometimes it’s just not possible to find a single root cause.

And as to our system? Well, sometimes it works. Other times it doesn’t. Rebooting every component - router, phones, Sonoses, Devolo mesh - seemingly has no impact. Units routinely and randomly drop off the network with, as far as we can tell, no environmental changes.

So, we barely use any of the players now.

Thanks once again to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @popguru et al

To confirm what @doctorbee just reported, we now consider this issue resolved. If you continue to experience this issue, please get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

Badge

Tried again today to add music services and now I’m seeing all the available options. Was able to successfully add Apple Music!

Not great when the only service you have is Apple Music. Please release a fix ASAP Sonos!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jpastagar 

We are aware of an issue preventing users from adding music services via a Android or iOS controller on S1 systems and are investigating. As yet, we have no estimation for when this will be resolved.

In the meantime, and as you have found, you can add services as per usual with the desktop (Windows or macOS) Sonos app, via the menu. Please note that this will not work with Apple Music, however.

I hope this helps.

I am having the same issue adding music sources via S1 on my iPhone.  Added Sirius, Pandora via the S1 Windows controller on my laptop.

SONOS, ARE YOU WORKING ON A FIX?  PLEASE RESPOND!

I’d suggest that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Cannot add apple music services on my S1 system with iPhone, Windows, iOS, and android.  I was able to add amazon music with Windows, but cannot add anything else.  Apple music is completely dead.  I have tried all suggestions and still im getting the spinning circle of death.

I can play music with other services but it’s not possible to add the Spotify paid account because the S1 app no longer lists music services one can add.  

I’m hoping Sonos sees this thread so perhaps someone from Sonos can reply to my original question:

Is Sonos working on a solution?

Thanks!

Badge

I am having the same issue, and when I try to use the Mac app (a solution suggested by others in this thread), I am unable to add Apple Music since that can only be added via Mobile.

Looking for a fix ASAP!

Userlevel 3

Yes, this is absolutely ridiculous and a great indicator of how Sonos is "supporting" s1. I have 20 s2 devices, 2 s1's, once again disgusted with Sonos support. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Same issue can't add any service making Sonos system useless. I have 7 speakers from Sonos and can't even play music on s1 system , my S2 works no problem with home theater but all garden and kitchen stuff can't be used...

Why can’t you play music? Its just adding music services (on mobile) that is borked right now, nothing wrong with playback.

I signed up for a “paid” Spotify account today and went to add it as a music service on Sonos S1 app and received the same error as popguru above (24 days ago), spinning logo with no ability to “Add Music Services”.

I have gone through all of the troubleshooting steps (rebooted all devices, identified the “associated Sonos device” and unplugged it and gave the Sonos app the ability to assign a new “associated device” and then did the S1 app iPhone app reset) provided in subsequent replies to popguru’s post and none has worked.

Is Sonos working on a solution to this issue?

Thanks

Same issue here. Tried from my iphone12 and my wife’s iphone14 and neither will get past the spinning wheel . Reinstalling S1 app and rebooting the device does not work. Why you cannot add apple music from a MAC S1 app is also frustrating, The message reads that you have to add apple music from an IOS or Android device. Endless loop of frustration 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Same issue can't add any service making Sonos system useless. I have 7 speakers from Sonos and can't even play music on s1 system , my S2 works no problem with home theater but all garden and kitchen stuff can't be used...

I ran into this issue yesterday while moving from spotify to deezer. Removing spotify from my system (S1 system because of 1 old play 5 I still use) worked just fine. When I wanted to add a new music service, I got the infinite spinner…

I solved this issue by downloading the sonos s1 controller for windows and adding the service from there. Luckily, the bug that is happening in the mobile app isnt happening in the desktop app. 

Sonos S1 controller for windows (or mac, which will probably work as well) can be found here: https://support.sonos.com/nl-nl/downloads

@Sonos , just wanted to say that I am dissapointed in you guys. This issue is clearly a bug in the mobile apps, but instead of being upfront about it you guys just send people on a wild goosechase, spending hours debugging their entire system for absolutely no reason. 

Maybe I'm being too negative here, but every since the old sonos app got deprecated, I have the feeling that sonos is deliberately introducing these kinds of bugs (I have encountered quite a few bugs over the last few years) to discourage people from using older speakers.

I think it's disgusting and a kick in the face of loyal customers that have helped build your brand to what it is now. 

You can attempt to install the SONOS S1 client on your PC and then add a music service. Once that is done, you will be able to view the music service and play music from the mobile phone using the S1 client. That's what I discovered.

Hi. I’ve had an S1 system for over a decade (3x S5 gen1, Amp and Connect) and it generally worked fine. Over the years I’ve subscribed to (legit) Napster, Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music and Deezer. Plus BBC Sounds and a few other services without issue. 

Last night, we purchased our first S2 product, a Move. I removed all existing devices, reset them and, after setting up the S2 with Move, created a new clean S1 system.

All of the devices are there, but the only thing I can connect to is Sonos Radio. If I click to add a music service I just get a spinning ball type icon (happy to share a screen grab if needed) and the app hangs. It responds fine if I select to add a voice system.

I’ve obviously rebooted everything multiple times. I’ve reset the S1 app. I’ve deleted and reinstalled it. On two iOS phones. Nothing works. There are no issues using the Move on the S2 app. All services are visible and available to add.

I spent over an hour on Sonos chat and was ultimately told to call the UK freephone number quoting a case reference. When calling the number a voice recording informs that lines are closed. At 10am when they’re supposedly open?

I’m at a dead end and we’ve gone from ‘let’s trade all of the S1 kit up to a new S2 setup and add a sound bar and sub for the lounge’ to ‘the S2 is going straight back to the shop and the S1s in a skip because we can’t listen to anything.’

Before I literally take the S1 stuff to the recycling centre, does anybody have any tips or ideas that might save the day? To say we’re fed up is an understatement.

Thanks.

I have the same issue. I have just got added a Play 5 to my collection, but this one is not S2 compatible. Therefore, I’ve set up so that everything else, including Boost, works using existing S2 app. Was hoping to at least use the Play 5 independently using S1 app, but like you all I can access is SONOS Radio! I get exactly the same buffering circle as you when I try to add a music service. Had live chat with SONOS who seemed not to be paying much attention, and like you they’re now telling me to call up. Soooooooooo frustrating. In the seven years that I’ve been building my collection, I’ve got a little more disappointed each year! Did you ever resolve?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RichardLondon 

Sonos, is there any hope of fixing this?

Absolutely - the ability to add music services to your Sonos system is fundamental to it’s operation.

Please do not rely on other people contacting us, however - if you are affected by this issue, please get in touch.

Badge

Still no solution to this? Unhappily the workaround of using the Sonos Controller on PC does not work for Apple Music, because Apple does not allow you to add their service from the PC Controller.  This must be affecting a lot of people.  Sonos, is there any hope of fixing this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ArubaWalk 

Thank you - while I can’t add anything regarding the issue you are experiencing, we take all feedback seriously and someone will look at the interaction you had with our technical support team and how it could have been improved.

Well, yesterday was a fun day with this issue. I spent just shy of 3 hours text chatting and on the phone with Sonos support.  I started the chat at 9:03AM.  During the course of the chat I explained several times that the list of music services was empty and the spinner kept spinning forever.  At 10:03AM (an hour after I initiated the chat) the rep is telling me to click on Add a Service and select the one I want.  Total failure to communicate.  By 10:16AM the chat rep finally told me I would need to call by phone and have someone help me.  A total waste of an hour.

The phone call was also frustrating.  The rep didn’t seem to believe me that the list of music services never populated with any choices, so he wanted to start a screen sharing.  After seeing it himself he started having me try different things.  He had me unplug 18 of my Connect:Amps and leave just the one remaining one powered on.  No change.  He had me reboot the one remaining Connect:Amp (again).  No change.  He had me add manual DNS entries on my iPad.  No change.  He had me add manual DNS entries on my router (UniFi Dream Machine Pro).  No change.  We rebooted the router.  No change.

While I was on the call with him, Joy Lin posted on this forum thread about adding the music service on a PC, so when I told the rep about that he had me go into the Sonos S1 app on my iMac.  Unfortunately there was no “add service” entry in the MacOS S1 app, and the built-in Update function that’s supposed to update to the latest version of the app kept failing with a useless generic error message, so eventually (after more system reboots) we uninstalled the S1 app on the Mac and downloaded and installed the latest version.  After that the “add service” entry was visible, so we ended the call there.

Aside from the fact that I spent almost 3 hours dealing with this, the other MAJOR irritant was the background noise on the phone call.  There was LOUD music blaring for much of the call, and at times the voices of other people on his end made it difficult to understand him.  I realize that Sonos is a music company, but there’s simply no excuse for making your customers listen to extremely loud music in the background during a support call.  I mentioned the excessive background noise to him a couple of times and he mumbled something about someone playing music near him.  I really don’t understand how he could work in that kind of environment all of the time, and it sure doesn’t convey any sense of professionalism to your customers.  At first I thought he might be working from home, but I think he was in the office while all of this background chaos was going on.  In the end we arrived at an alternate solution, so I have to give credit to them for sticking with me until a solution was found, but we still don’t know why the Add a Service function is broken in S1 on iOS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All

I’ve looked into all your account details and locations trying to find a solid pattern here, but there really isn’t enough information to go on as of yet. I recommend that you all get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos systems and what they report. Hopefully, they will find solutions for you, but if not, we may at least be a step closer to identifying an issue that needs fixed.

I hope this helps.