Question

Sonos can no longer access my Music Library on my Naim Uniti Star

Badge

Hi 

I have a number of Sonos products.

I also have a Naim UnitiStar which has a locally connected USB drive containing my music library. The Unitistar has a built in UpNp server.

My Sonos system has accessed this music library without any issues for a long time (years).  However, this evening, it cannot access the library ‘unable to connect’ messages.

I’ve tried the basic stuff to try and fix this - but no joy.  My Mac and My Smart TV’s can all connect to the Music Library on the UnitiStar without a problem.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Maybe SMBv1 was turned off by the update? Sonos (still) needs it. 

Badge

Thanks :) But this is not a NAS - it’s just a HD connected via USB to a Naim Uniti Star streaming music player.  The UnitiStar has a built in UpNp server (as I understand it), but there is no way I can see to actually ‘configure’ it in any way.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Many thanks to @106rallye and @AirgetlamI appreciate your help here.

Hi @User47895.

Thanks for your response and update.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, it shows that it was triggered using your iOS phone controller, it would be best if you can submit the diagnostic using the computer where you manage the music library. The system detected an error indicating that the operation is not supported, as per the advice above Sonos uses SMB v1.0.

At this point,  it would be best to reach out to Sonos Support so we can take a closer look and continue working with you in real-time to expedite the process.

I suggest calling in our phone support, for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

When calling, you can help us by also having a Mac or Windows computer available so we have the option to perform any hands-on troubleshooting and testing as needed.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know, we’re always here to help.

Badge

I found a comment from Naim’s Software Director on another thread on their forum that states ‘On Uniti Core + products like Uniti Star we support SMB1,2.x and 3.x via the Samba.org 3 libraries’

So I’m guessing SMBv1 support is not the issue.

Any further ideas - can anyone from Sonos advise?

@Annazel S did you manage to take a look at the diagnostic I submitted? Did it help?

Many thanks

Damian

Badge

hi 

Thanks for coming back to me.

Diagnostic report is 765282742.

There are two folders on the UnitStar’s attached USB.  Music and Downloads.

They are bother added to Sonos by adding them under music library settings.

e.g. //192.168.1.136/downloads. and //192.168.1.136/music

This hasn’t changed. The Ip address of the UnitiStar remains 192.168.1.136.

Thx for the articles - I took a look but nothing is standing out as applying there.

One thing to note - the UnitStar’s Firmware was recently updated to 3.5.1.  Not 100% sure whether I have been able to access the drives from Sonos since - so not sure if that is possibly a factor? But as I say - I can still access those network shares from other devices.

many thanks

Damian

Badge

Many thanks to @106rallye and @AirgetlamI appreciate your help here.

Hi @User47895.

Thanks for your response and update.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, it shows that it was triggered using your iOS phone controller, it would be best if you can submit the diagnostic using the computer where you manage the music library. The system detected an error indicating that the operation is not supported, as per the advice above Sonos uses SMB v1.0.

At this point,  it would be best to reach out to Sonos Support so we can take a closer look and continue working with you in real-time to expedite the process.

I suggest calling in our phone support, for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

When calling, you can help us by also having a Mac or Windows computer available so we have the option to perform any hands-on troubleshooting and testing as needed.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know, we’re always here to help.

Thanks Annazel - I’ve now spoken directly to one of the telephone support team on this.

Badge

I have also just noticed the following, using the Sonos App on my iMAc.

In Manage Music Library settings, choose the + to add a new source.

Choose ‘another folder or drive connected to my computer’

I can then browse to the file locations on the UnitiStar.  However, I cannot add them as it realises at that point it’s not a local folder and tells me I need to go back and choose ‘networked device.

However, the point is - the Sonos app ;’sees’ and is able to browse to the folder.

Of course in the network chooser option you can’t ‘browse’ so I can’t try the same thing :/

This is really quite irritating as I just sold  a Dali Katch to buy a Sonos Move specifically because I wanted to be able to access my music library on a portable speaker, as well as the rest of the Sonos speakers I have.

Badge

It would be great to have some further guidance from Sonos on this issue?

Badge

Just to add to this, that If I use Roon (linked to the same library’s on the Naim Uniti Star USB drive) and choose one of the Sonos players as the Zone - I can then play music from the library. I still cannot do it directly from the Sonos app, however.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you try my suggestion?

Badge

Hi 106rallye

When you say try my suggestion - what do you mean exactly?  
How would I re-enable SMBv1.  Or do you mean check that the latest Naim Firmware has not removed support for it etc.

Thanks for your help!

Damian

It’s been seen in other cases that a background update of the NAS’ software has turned off SMB v1, so you would need to look at the configuration page for your device and confirm it is still on. Finding where that setting is may require you to read the NAS’ manual. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @User47895.

Thanks for reaching out. 

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the concern, I’d be glad to help.

The “Unable to connect” error can occur when Sonos is unable to find the computer or device hosting your music library. 

To better understand, how did you share/add your music library to Sonos? 

I'd like to check some data from your system. Kindly send in a diagnostic report through the Sonos app and reply with the confirmation number, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

You may also refer to this article that contains common fixes when unable to connect or find the music library host.

Please check this link from the Naim community, it might be helpful in this case:

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/import-music-into-star-music-store/1234

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.