Simple ? - How to turn off

• 5 February 2005
  • 58 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

Badge
This discussion of "physical off" and our long term human interaction with electricity is curious. Should we care that pause is the same as off? (Can we evolve :rolleyes: ?)

What about an Internet Radio stream . . .if I pause it on the way out the door, have I disconnected from the Internet streaming server? or am I wasting bandwidth as they drop in my home's bit bucket?

-Les
Chris -

Great system. I'm using an NAS and it set up in 2 minutes. One idiosyncrasy though. If I'm listening to music and I decide I want to go out for the day, I can't just turn the music off. I have to either pause or clear the queue to stop the music. I know in the digital domain a pause is like turning off the music, but decades of human erogonomics make it seem odd to use pause to stop the music permanently from the controller. What say you? :o

I think this is the price Sonos pays for being a leader in Digital Music Systems.

As you point out pause is equivalent to stop - we could have added a button for stop; but it would have just done the same as pause.

If it is any consolation we heavily debated this during the design phase :)

Chris.
Userlevel 2
Chris -

Great system. I'm using an NAS and it set up in 2 minutes. One idiosyncrasy though. If I'm listening to music and I decide I want to go out for the day, I can't just turn the music off. I have to either pause or clear the queue to stop the music. I know in the digital domain a pause is like turning off the music, but decades of human erogonomics make it seem odd to use pause to stop the music permanently from the controller. What say you? 😮
The ZonePlayer has two power-on states.

"Not playing music" : The CPU/Wireless is active

"Playing music" : The CPU/Wireless and Amplifier are active. The amp is automatically switched on when there is music to play, and off the moment the music stops.

Thanks, Chris.
This took me a little while to get used to also. Since the Sonos ZP is really a network appliance (much like a router or switch) it stays on all the time. Since the controller puts itself to sleep automatically, you do not have to worry about turning it off.

Perhaps in a future upgrade, timer functionality could be implemented to start and stop playback according to a user defined schedule.

millermt