S1 Controller will not open in macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

• 20 November 2022
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 1

I lost the pathway to my music library when I updated my Imac’s OS to High Sierra 10.13.6. I called Sonos technical support and after trying a couple of things the tech suggested that we uninstall and reinstall the app. Now, the app downloaded from the Sonos download site (57.13-34140) will not open my computer. I keep getting the message “Sonos S1 Controller cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure that the S1 Controller works with this version of the macOS”. DOES THE S1 CONTROLLER WORK WITH MAC HIGH SIERRA?

Now, not only have I lost access to my music library, I cannot control my Sonos system from my computer anymore.

21 replies

I had a similar problem, however, I did not make any changes to the macOS.  It has had no problem running the SONOS S1 controller for many years.  Then, today, I suddenly could not access the items on the “MANAGE” tab (I was about to update the Library but could not). 

So, I removed the S1 app on my imac, downloaded the S1 from the SONOS site, loaded it and . . . it cannot open, giving the same messages as described by Sailboat.  Perhaps there was an update, last night, to the S1 controller on my imac and that cocked up its compatibility with the same macOS v. 10.13.6 that was running the S1 app before today.  If so, then that is NOT an “Apple problem,” is it?

So, I ask the same question as posed by Sailboat : DOES THE (current) S1 CONTROLLER WORK WITH macOS HIGH SIERRA v. 10.13.6?  

Happily, I can still do everything I want from my Android phone but that will not be handy for some things.  

Same here, third update, didn't work, Removed S1, downloaded again. Got: “Sonos S1 Controller cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure that the S1 Controller works with this version of the macOS”. Frustrating.

Me also.  I cannot load my Christmas music.  I invested in a 10 sonos components and now THIS!

Delete your current controller from the Mac. Go to Sonos.com to download the new version, and install it. When it asks if you want to create a new system, or connect to an existing system, choose to connect to an existing system. Once you’re connected agai, check for updates on the speakers, and run that.

You should be good to go. 

Airgetlam. I understand; however, that does not work on High Sierra Mac OS.  As the previous post state, you can load the version you state but the “manage account” is grayed out.  So you cannot link to media library.  Are you running High Sierra on a Mac?   If so, tomorrow I will try for the third time.

No, I have an M1 Mac, and am running the latest version of the Mac OS.

Perhaps it’s time to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

Sonos Support was of no help.  I have the same issue as described at the beginning of this thread.  Support advised to update OS, but that’s not possible as I have an older iMac where no further updates are possible.

They stated that they are aware of the problem, but have no idea when it would be fixed.  I asked if they would notify me of a fix and they said no.   Not the best support to be honest.  I can no longer access my music library as this is stored on the iMac.

I have so many songs devices that it’s hard to back out now, but what to do?

Mike

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I foolishly deleted the S1 on my High Sierra Mac as I was seeing errors attempting the app update. I downloaded the S1 app (from a link provided by Sonos support) and I get the incompatibility message. 

Is there an archive of the older versions of the app somewhere? I was hoping Sonos might have been able to send me a link to an older, compatible version. 

Badge

The problem for me turned out to be that I am running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 on an older Mac, that has my music library.

Having finally escalated the problem at Sonos, I received the following replies:

”Thank you for the information provided regarding your issue. Actually, there is an ongoing issue with the Sonos S1 application on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, we are aware of it and looking into a future resolution.”  “(T)he Sonos S2 application works, the issue is related just to the S1 Application.”

I can in fact install the S2 Controller on my Mac, with no issues, but I don’t want a split system, so I am waiting on a “future resolution”.

I am still running Sonos S1 Controller for Mac version 11.5 on my Mac, so my system can access my music library.  All of our iPhones and iPads are now running the latest Sonos S1 app version 11.6.2 and they work fine.

My only suggestion is to try and restore S1 version 11.5 on your Mac, if you are able, through a backup (which I did) or otherwise.

Thank you for reporting this information back to this thread. It’s most appreciated.

This seems like another case of Sonos not thinking or caring about legacy products/customers?

Any idea when the S1 Controller software issue for Mac High Sierra users on older machines can expect this “future resolution”, or is it time to ditch them and switch to a system that does work???

Or perhaps Apple not informing every company about changes, so that accommodations can be developed, set in place, tested, and released to the public in time?

High Sierra has been around for ages…

And Apple continues to make changes to it.

I have the same issue. The lack of support for early adopters is discouraging. My system is getting long in the tooth and I am looking at upgrading, but it’s hard to go with a company that doesn’t instill confidence that the purchase will be supported. I’ll start looking elsewhere.

I have the same problem on High Sierra 10.13.6 

‘Manage’ is greyed out and cannot update “An unexpected error occurred. Please try again.” (previously working fine for years)

I deleted the controller and dowloaded the new controller from Sonos and that had the same problem. Luckily I saved a copy of my previous controller in my trash. I was able to retrieve and continue using the old controller but with the limited usability. I am able to stream but no longer have access to my own music files

below is the warning i keep getting:

Sonos Installer cannot be opened because of a problem.

​​​​​​Check with the developer to make sure Sonos Installer works with this version of macOS. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and macOS.

Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

I have a lot invested in Sonos products over many years from S1 to S2 and the inconvenience is starting to outweigh the convenience of a system that used to work seamlessly. Constant updates that penalize the user if they choose to ignore them, but consequently limiting applications, so the once flawless operation becomes limited, or unusable.

Very frustrating and feel Sonos is only interested in monetizing future users and ignoring it’s core of “once upon a time” users/supporters

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same problem here, and the answers that refer to macs with M1 chips not helpful, as the can run more advanced OS.

Had a chat session today, and the less than helpful script reader sent me a link from the site that indicates that it should run on OS 10.13.6. Which it obviously doesn’t.

So I have to call, when I can not be near my affected computer or my Sonos system, during the week to get the real answer? 

Userlevel 1

I got notification of “update available” for my Sonos S1 contrived over the weekend.

I installed it and IT FIXED EVERYTHING! My system is seeing my music library, it will index the music library and I can get to my preferences again. THANKS FOR LISTENING, THANKS FOR FIXING SONOS!

THANKS FOR LISTENING, THANKS FOR FIXING SONOS! Same with me.   I had to update each component individually as opposed to a global update.  But it worked (I have 10 components)

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Brilliant.  Thanks Sonos.  I’ll make sure I don’t delete it this time!

3-4 months later...Sonos has finally fixed this. The version of the S1 controller currently available for download, Sonos_57.14-37030, works again on High Sierra. The direct link is https://update-software.sonos.com/software/oxmdyztc/Sonos_57.14-37030.dmg, or you can grab it form https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads under the S1 macOS link.