Recent 15.1 update - Sonos Boost 'Updating' (looks like an app glitch)

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi

Did the update last night and ever since, my Boost sporadically shows as ‘updating’ on the app, with a blue dot next to it. It does sometimes show as normal but then reverts to this ‘updating’ status. It isn’t updating though and everything seems to be working fine. 

So looks like just a glitch and I have noticed folks on Reddit also commented the same.

Anyone else got this little issue?

Corry P 1 year ago

Hi Everyone!

The current issue with Boosts reporting that they are still updating long after they have finished doing so appears to be due to the Boost failing to report its current status back to the Sonos App.

To be clear, the Boosts have successfully updated, but have failed to report their status back to the controller and therefore the in app “updating” message is erroneous and can be ignored.

If you log out of the app, the Boost should no longer erroneously show as updating in app. You can control playback of your Sonos system without logging into the app, so if the message is bothering you you can sign out of the app, but note that while logged-out, you will be unable to configure the system. If any speakers/players show as updating, we recommend rebooting these devices.

If you require any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our technical support team.

We would like to sincerely thank you all here on this thread for your assistance in our investigations.

If you’ve just come across this thread, we no longer need further diagnostics or reports. Thank you

We will of course aim to resolve this in a future update.

View original

247 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Channel, for those of you that may have missed this earlier post. Temporary workaround:

1. Sign out of your Account
  2. Force close the app
  3. Restart the App
  4. DO NOT sign in again

As long as you do not sign in you should not get the blue indicator or Updating message and still have access to your speakers (but with limited App functionality)

Hopefully the amazing developers and QA team at Sonos fix this issue fast. 😣

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

What was wrong with the system before this 15.1 update ?? Again, another update that was forced upon us that’s now causing issues for so many. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @timbra 

Please note that we haven’t yet addressed this issue, although it seems some people found that going through another update did seem to fix it.

For now, I can only recommend you either ignore the notification, or if the notification is making things difficult, to sign out of the app - you will still be able to control your music playback.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I feel a bit late to this party, but can add something to the blue dot mystery. Because I have a very old, very long house with solid stone walls I have two Boosts in my system which up until 15.1 have been working perfectly…

Not any more. Well, TBF they are still working but I get the picture below, no matter what I do in terms of unplugging/resetting etc. None of the suggestions above work for more than a few minutes.

Come on Sonos - your latest update has caused this problem. Sort it out please.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Nope - blue dot by the Boost is still there ......

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just got off the phone to Sonos they have confirmed that this is a glitch for the Sonos Boost stuck on updating. Mines been like this for about 24 hours.  The consultant told me I have to wait for an update…..

Userlevel 3
Badge

Same with my 2 Boosts… large house. But music is playing allright so maybe just app cosmetic?

But curious: Is it not possible to check something as simple as this before launch…? Don’t they have a Boost in the lab to test on before pushing updates? Strange… as it seems to include all Boosts on earth :)

(Sonos have allready received hundreds of diagnostics on this subject… guess they are covered… but here it is: 313388586)

Idea: Why do Sonos not use the message ability in the app to simply inform all Boost users that they are very much aware of the issue and will come back with a solution? (Instead of using the channel for sales… gosh). Why do I have to find some community thread to learn this?

Spot on, basic respect for their customers would be to send us all an email at the very least. Instead we are left to guess, reboot, reboot, reboot and reboot again. Premium product with a premium price tag with very basic to poor support!! I ended up calling support they told me they know it’s a problem so send us all an email update!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Everyone!

The current issue with Boosts reporting that they are still updating long after they have finished doing so appears to be due to the Boost failing to report its current status back to the Sonos App.

To be clear, the Boosts have successfully updated, but have failed to report their status back to the controller and therefore the in app “updating” message is erroneous and can be ignored.

If you log out of the app, the Boost should no longer erroneously show as updating in app. You can control playback of your Sonos system without logging into the app, so if the message is bothering you you can sign out of the app, but note that while logged-out, you will be unable to configure the system. If any speakers/players show as updating, we recommend rebooting these devices.

If you require any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our technical support team.

We would like to sincerely thank you all here on this thread for your assistance in our investigations.

If you’ve just come across this thread, we no longer need further diagnostics or reports. Thank you

We will of course aim to resolve this in a future update.

Userlevel 1
Badge

No change after signing out then signing in on Sonos app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Same here - sometimes it’s fine then it randomly tells me Boost is updating.

523561468 submitted.

All components report being at Build 71138080.

As I was typing and read the Boost version it then toggled to ‘Boost - Updating’.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Signed in…

Sign out, close app and restart 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Can I just check that all of us with issues all have Boosts?

Userlevel 1

@Corry P - I can confirm @Mjagpal observations above.

A clear issue with app and account sync introduced by version 15.1 

Signed out - all clean 

Signed in - blue dot on Boost (updating)

I never had this issue before and I haven‘t changed anything in my setup. It arrived with v15.1

I think you need to come up with a resolution of the issue in v15.1.1

Userlevel 1
Badge

I updated my Sonos system and noticed a blue dot next to Sonos boost on the S2 app saying Updating! Everything on my system seems to be working fine and reading comments above it is a poor update software from Sonos. I await a correction in the update software to be released?

Badge +1

Hi @John76 

That’s great to hear! Thanks for sharing!

I would recommend everyone reboot their entire systems - once all units are off, turn on the Boost and other ethernet-wired devices first, and when it/they has/have a solid, white light, turn on the rest.

Why does Sonos refuse to put this functionality into the app? Unplugging all of my Sonos devices every time I have to troubleshoot something is a major PITA only to discover this won’t fix the “Boost is being updated” bug that 15.1 has seemingly introduced.

FWIW, the problem comes and goes for me, too. Up until a couple of hours ago the Boost was periodically shown as “updating” since yesterday morning even after power-cycling the Boost a few times. Solid white light on the Boost even when the app was showing it was being updated. Now it is not showing as updating anymore but unless this is a server-side fix, I suspect I’ll see the Boost updating later today.

This Boost problem already takes weeks now! Shame on you Sonos. 

Sonos support traditionally doesn’t give time frames for changes/fixes. They just happen, probably due to a mix of how long it takes to find and resolve the issue, and how much QA time is necessary to ensure the ‘fix’ doesn’t break something else.  Then there’s the whole ‘teeing it up on the distribution stores’, too. I’d expect it will come as soon as they possibly can get it out. 

Userlevel 1

the hell sonos??? fix this *** ! my sub won’t connect i can’t get alexa to work. your products are too expensive for this crap. get off your santa barbara *** and get to work 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hopefully everyone with the issue is reporting the issue with a diagnostic.  Otherwise there's no real picture of the scale of the problem.

Thankfully the latest bug doesn't seem to cause an issue with playing music though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sonos support traditionally doesn’t give time frames for changes/fixes. They just happen, probably due to a mix of how long it takes to find and resolve the issue, and how much QA time is necessary to ensure the ‘fix’ doesn’t break something else.  Then there’s the whole ‘teeing it up on the distribution stores’, too. I’d expect it will come as soon as they possibly can get it out. 

QA? 🤣 its totalling lacking with Sonos, too many buggy updates rolled out too many times and then we have to wait ages for a fix.

Yep I have the same problems since 15.1 update. When I have all my speakers running through the house, music randomly stops and speakers just drop out and don’t play. I’m also unable to stop the music at times via the app as it can’t connect to network. Fix it Sonos and once it works, I’m turning off automatic updates. Too many issues over the last 2 years. Not a happy customer 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Has anyone with this issue been given a fix time frame by Sonos support?

When I called support today they told me I had to wait for the next up date. 

😡

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Same with my 2 Boosts… large house. But music is playing allright so maybe just app cosmetic?

But curious: Is it not possible to check something as simple as this before launch…? Don’t they have a Boost in the lab to test on before pushing updates? Strange… as it seems to include all Boosts on earth :)

(Sonos have allready received hundreds of diagnostics on this subject… guess they are covered… but here it is: 313388586)

Idea: Why do Sonos not use the message ability in the app to simply inform all Boost users that they are very much aware of the issue and will come back with a solution? (Instead of using the channel for sales… gosh). Why do I have to find some community thread to learn this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for your work on this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Dogdad 

OK good - that seems to have been the worst anyone has experienced with this issue, so I’m glad it’s improved somewhat!

Corry, why have this very long thread only geeks will find instead of just writing directly to Boost users thru the app’s message interface … something like: Dear custormer. We are aware of some updating issues with the Boost. We will inform you as soon as we know more. Regards, Sonos

Magically everyone is now informed … no one have to make the thread longer, no one have to call Sonos all over the world about the blue dot… end of story :). Working with customer communications everyday I am genuinely curious. Have a nice weekend.