My home is not a shop!

• 26 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There was a time when Sonos was an awesome product, but you’ve hit new lows with this one.

Today I went to open the Sonos app and it was covered with a huge advert!

Please understand, I have paid a lot of money for Sonos since 2006, I’ve replaced good equipment with functionally equivalent units just so they have enough memory to keep up with software updates I don’t want.

Serving adverts within the product just makes you look incredibly greedy and desperate, and totally disrespecting the customer. No wonder people cherish the good old days of vinyl. I grew up in a world where hi-fi equipment didn’t start trying to sell me stuff when I was using it and my expectations have not changed.

So let me put it plainly:

My home is not a shop.
My phone is not a shop.
My hi-fi system is not a shop.

Get your marketing people the hell away from all of these things!

Since Googling it, I see I’m not the only person affected. I since found a setting to opt out, but only after forming an extremely negative opinion of Sonos. I never opted in to this, and nor do I trust Sonos not to add some new setting that’s also opted in.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Have you bought a TV recently? Many of them are full of ads. Good luck figuring out how to turn those off.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Settings > App Preferences > Allow Pop-Up Messages

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Have you bought a TV recently? Many of them are full of ads. Good luck figuring out how to turn those off.

You don’t need luck. Just knowledge