Music Library Disappearing Overnight

• 14 September 2022
  • 27 replies

Badge

I’ve read several similar issues but there doesn’t seem to be a resolution so thought I’d ask. 
Sonos reads the music library from my Western Digital MYCloudEX2Ultra NAS, all the files are there from a sync between my Mac iTunes library and my NAS. Been using this method for several years without issue. Recently, probably the past couple of weeks, when I open the iPhone app or the Mac app, the library has disappeared and a music index update is needed to get the files back. As I said, never had this issue before, and have been linking to the same NAS for several years. 
I’ve checked and there is only one path in the library setup and the NAS is on 24/7. 
Anyone know why this has started happening?

Thanks

Martin

27 replies

That is an odd one.  Is your music library set to auto update every day?

I assume that your speakers aren’t powered off every night?  (Not that this should cause a problem to the music library anyway.)

Badge

That is an odd one.  Is your music library set to auto update every day?

I assume that your speakers aren’t powered off every night?  (Not that this should cause a problem to the music library anyway.)

Yes it’s music index update is auto at 2am each day. And no, speakers are always on. 

I suggest you see if the problem still arises if you don’t auto update for one night.  

You could also try a manual update and see if the problem occurs then.  If it does then it would allow you to run a system diagnostic as soon as it has happened, and then contact Sonos Support with the confirmation number.

Badge

Ok thanks. I’ll switch it off tonight and see what happens tomorrow and report back. 
Thanks again 

Martin

Or as an alternative to manual update, temporarily change the auto update to a time when you can observe what happens. 

Badge

I’ve just run a manual update and it hasn’t made any difference, ie the library is all present and correct. I’ll change it to 10am tomorrow and check it before the update process runs and again after. 
Thanks

Martin

Badge

So…I checked this morning and the library was all present and correct. At 10am, the schedule was meant to happen but it didn’t appear to run…but the library again disappeared. 

Well it’s not conclusive, but evidence suggests it’s the automatic update going wrong.  As to why, this may be easiest solved by a diagnostic immediately after it has happened.

One other thing you could try (as a diagnostic exercise) would be to power off all but your Sonos One speaker overnight with the One placed a few feet from your router.  My thinking is that maybe there is a comms problem with whichever device is performing the indexing.  Wireless interference for example.  You could even wire the One if you can.

Badge

So if I set a time to update and run a diagnostic as soon as it happens, that may help?

I have three Sonos One speakers, the nearest one to the router is about 1” away from it! I’ll do the auto update and diagnostic today, but then think I’ll switch of the scheduling for the moment. I don’t add files that often and always update after I do anyway as new music has to by synced to the NAS. 
Thanks for your advice 

Regards

Martin

I have three Sonos One speakers, the nearest one to the router is about 1” away from it!

In that case it could be suffering badly from the near-far problem or receiver blocking. Move it out to at least 50cm, ideally 100cm or more.

Badge

I have three Sonos One speakers, the nearest one to the router is about 1” away from it!

In that case it could be suffering badly from the near-far problem or receiver blocking. Move it out to at least 50cm, ideally 100cm or more.

Interesting! Will see what I can do!

Thanks

Badge

Moving the speaker further away seems to have resolved the issue. But I’ll leave scheduling on and check again in the morning to confirm. 
Thanks

Martin

Badge

So, checked this morning after the standard 2AM update and the library has disappeared again. I’m going to manually update to get it back and then switch off the nightly schedule for the time being. 
Most odd!

Thanks

Martin

So, checked this morning after the standard 2AM update and the library has disappeared again. I’m going to manually update to get it back and then switch off the nightly schedule for the time being. 
Most odd!

Thanks

Martin

Here’s a further suggestion to perhaps try… shift the library-update schedule to the daytime to allow you to monitor it, but also if you goto ‘Settings/About my System’ in the Sonos App, you will see the IP address of the ‘Associated Product’ - change that to another Sonos product by powering it off (just for the time being) and see if doing that resolves your issue. If it does, then switch back to doing the scheduled update overnight whilst the original associated player device is still switched off and see if it then works and report back here.

Most odd!

Thanks

Martin

Here’s a further suggestion to perhaps try… shift the library-update schedule to the daytime to allow you to monitor it, but also if you goto ‘Settings/About my System’ in the Sonos App, you will see the IP address of the ‘Associated Product’ - change that to another Sonos product by powering it off (just for the time being) and see if doing that resolves your issue. If it does, then switch back to doing the scheduled update overnight whilst the original associated player device is still switched off and see if it then works and report back here.

The Associated Product only has relevance to a specific controller session, including any manual index scans started by that controller. The automated library scan selects its own node to do the scan (not surprisingly, since it operates in the background in the absence of a controller).

Thanks @ratty.👍 So maybe before going down the route of deleting the library/index completely from all players and setting up the library again in the App, it might just be worth just power-cycling every Sonos product, perhaps. I don’t think that’s been tried yet? 

Odd though that the manual indexing seems to work every-time.

martin.s,

A little background: Extensive diagnostic data is available to Sonos staff, but the finest detail begins to scroll out of view after a while. That’s why we recommend submitting the diagnostic within about 10min of an event.

As others have suggested: 

If a manual scan runs fine then set an auto scan for daylight hours. To simulate night-time ensure beforehand that all controllers are detached and all players are stopped. If/when the scan fails, submit a diagnostic within ~10 mins. 

The main log, in whichever player took on the task, should contain evidence of any failure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What times are your Sonos and NAS updating their DHCP settings?

Maybe swap to static/reserved addresses as a test?

If you turn off iCloud Music Library, the iTunes music will be hidden and disappear from your iPhone. And sometimes, updating may cause the iCloud Music Library to be turned off automatically. So please make sure you are signed in to your iPhone with your Apple ID and turn on iCloud Music Library.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello Everyone,

I don’t know if I am in the good place for this issue. Since the update of the 14.18.1 version, sometimes all my tracks / albums are not present. I must to update manually the library to resolve the issue. Until now, I have not seen this problem on my configuration.

My configuration is the following: My Cloud Ex2 Ultra - 5 Play1 - the library is scheduled at 4.00 am with a SMB1 connection - the Cloud is on a static IP address.

Very strange this issue > ???

Kind regards.

Unless you have a second S1 SONOS system on the network, I suggest that you disable SMB1 and enable SMB2 or SMB3 on the My Cloud.

SONOS is impatient. I’m wondering if the My Cloud is slow waking. As an experiment, set an alarm to play a silent track at 3:55am. Even of this track fails to play (because of a timeout) the drive will be awake at 4:00am.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello Everyone,

I need your help, my problem persists with the local library. Sometimes this one works fine and sometimes this disappears from the Sonos app.

Yesterday, I have phone with the support, solution given : uninstall the library and reinstall this one.

I have checked if the Cloud is on the SMB3 protocol and yes this option is activated.

All my speakers have a static IP addresses and also the Cloud.

Honestly, I am a little lost.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards.

Hello Everyone,

I need your help, my problem persists with the local library. Sometimes this one works fine and sometimes this disappears from the Sonos app.

Yesterday, I have phone with the support, solution given : uninstall the library and reinstall this one.

I have checked if the Cloud is on the SMB3 protocol and yes this option is activated.

All my speakers have a static IP addresses and also the Cloud.

Honestly, I am a little lost.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards.

Did you try what the Sonos Support Staff suggested? - to uninstall/reinstall the library index via the Sonos App? I would perhaps also reboot all the Sonos products after uninstalling the index and see if that resolves your issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you @Ken_Griffiths for your help.

Yes, I have uninstall and reinstall the local library on a other Nas My Cloud EX Ultra, I have rebooted my router and also all the speakers but the problem is always there.

Now, I try an other thing, I have disabled the automatic schedule for the library, maybe that the problem comes from this ?

I am lost because until now I have not problem with this configuration.

Greetings.