Answered

Music Library and Mycloud home

• 25 November 2022
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 28 replies

So the other day I went to play music from my sonos library  where the mudi  is stored on WD myhome NAS drive 

A I got was an error saying it can't  be found 

Then tries to update the music library and got a message like 

Mycloud/public/music is no longer available 

Then I tried removing the link to the folder 

Took a few attempts  but eventually  removed 

Now I can't add it back as a shared folder

I have never had an issue with it before 

I can still access the drive from my laptop  and still able to add music to the folder 

Any help would be appreciated  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 November 2022, 19:19

View original

34 replies

Badge

Hi All,

Quick update - as others have suggested, firmware version 8.12.0-178 is the culprit. I checked the release notes and they indicate that SMB 2 is now the minimum standard. Great for security, but Sonos S1 users were immediately cut off. I upgraded my system to Sonos S2, and now the WD MyCloud Home works fine. 

Steven

Interesting discussion, I just ran into this same problem.  I have two questions you guys might be able to shed some light on?

1. Since WD firmware was the culprit, does anyone know if it’s possible to downgrade the firmware on a WD MyCloud Home device?
  2. If upgrading to Sonos OS: S2 is the only option, does that mean all Sonos devices in my network must be upgraded to OS: S2 or can you mix and match S1 with S2? 

A given system must be S1 or S2, no mixing. It is possible to have separate S1 and S2 systems, but the S1 system will still not be able to deal with SMB 2. Further, the S1 and S2 systems will not interact. It will not be possible to Group S1 Rooms with S2 Rooms.

Thanks folks, Here is my work around. It would be very expensive for me to upgrade to Sonos S2, way too many devices. So I just needed to move my Music Library off the WD-MyCloud to a network server compatible with Sonos OS:S1.

• Imported my entire Music Library onto a little MacMini.
  • Using the Sonos S1 Controller app on the MacMini:
    • Remove old WD-MyCloud
    • Add new Music Folder from MacMini
    • Wait for Sonos to index the new Music source.
  • My whole Music Library is now playable on all Sonos S1 devices from any phone, laptop or desktop.
  • The album ARTWORK displays on all Sonos controllers.
  • The Music App on the MacMini is used to manage all Music files.
  • My WD-MyCloud is still a valid TimeMachine backup and NAS storage device.

Based on your profile, it looks like if you wanted to move to S2 (and you don’t have to, your current workaround is fine) you may only need to replace one, or maybe two devices. The PLAY:5 gen 1 will not run S2, and the CONNECT:AMP may or may not, depending on its age. But all the rest of your devices certainly will run S2.

As I say, it’s not a requirement, if you’re getting what you need from your Sonos, don’t spend the money, but wanted to make you aware it may not be as much to upgrade as you are thinking. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks folks, Here is my work around. It would be very expensive for me to upgrade to Sonos S2, way too many devices. So I just needed to move my Music Library off the WD-MyCloud to a network server compatible with Sonos OS:S1.

• Imported my entire Music Library onto a little MacMini.
  • Using the Sonos S1 Controller app on the MacMini:
    • Remove old WD-MyCloud
    • Add new Music Folder from MacMini
    • Wait for Sonos to index the new Music source.
  • My whole Music Library is now playable on all Sonos S1 devices from any phone, laptop or desktop.
  • The album ARTWORK displays on all Sonos controllers.
  • The Music App on the MacMini is used to manage all Music files.
  • My WD-MyCloud is still a valid TimeMachine backup and NAS storage device.

Whats a MacMini 

Can it be left on permanently like a NAS ?

The reference above to a “MacMini” refers to an “ Apple Mac Mini ”.  The initial setup requires some familiarity with Apple products and a keyboard and monitor because it’s a fully functional desktop computer as well as sharable file server.  After setup, I just leave the MacMini running permanently on my local network attached to Ethernet without any keyboard or monitor.  It’s small about the size of a hard drive, you can buy them used on ebay. The music library can then be managed by Apple’s Music app on the MacMini.  This solution is probably best for those already familiar with Apple computers.   Hope that answers the question.

Here is a Work-Around.  Install PLEX on the MYCLOUD device and include all yout music in your MYCLOUD drive in the PLEX library and then add PLEX as a music service to your sonos library in the S1 app. Not as simple as before but works for me.

If it’s any help I couldn’t get access either and did the following as I already had the drive mounted as a network drive on my pc

1. Pinged the device to get the IP
  2. Put the IP address in the browser and logged into it - checked it was set to Local 
  3. moved all my music files from the original path to the shared Public folder in the root directory
  4. Reset the path to \\MYCLOUD-devicename\Public\Music
  5. Added the username and password and it came up on my Sonos as a Music Index icon - no longer a MYCloud Home icon - it then ran through finding all the music again and now works a treat