Answered

connecting music library on Synology NAS to Sonos

• 29 August 2021
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

I have a new Synology running DSM 7.0.1-42218g with no luck connecting my older SONOS system.  Set SMB v1 but have not seen any settings for NTMLv1.   Have PLEX installed and running but prefer to use the network share to my Sonos like I did with my previous Lacie NAS.

Now the error prompt advised access is denied.  I have that folder set up for a read write in the NAS File settings.  Any ideas? 

From other posts here (entirely at your own risk):

Goto the SMB settings under File Services, then Advanced, and then other.  There is a setting called enable NTLMv1 authentication.  Once you do, you will get a nasty warning message about potential vulnerabilities with this aging standard.  Continue and enable the setting and it should then work.

It simply isn’t gonna happen, it’s S1, it’s “dead”.

You’re probably correct… “liars gonna’ lie” as they say.  The voting patterns here suggest this forum has a majority population of Sonos supporters, and I’ll guess you’re one. That’s fine - I used to be one. I think the biggest difference between us on this subject is that I won’t continue to pay Sonos for abuse. I can’t control Sonos, but I do control who I spend $ with, and what I tell others about “the Sonos experience”  :)

Thank you Ken!  That did the trick.  That setting is buried in the Synology settings.  Probably for good reason.  Hope Sonos supports SMBv2 and v3 soon.

Hopefully that will happen in the not too distant future. See this link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/smb1-security-issue-lack-of-response-from-sonos-6860761?postid=16551779#post16551779

Userlevel 1
Badge

buzz, are you simply using the main Synology ID for Sonos that you setup when initializing your NAS? (versus Guest or Admin, for example) Also, on the path name, are you including Synology’s volume? (as in my case it’s “Volume 1”). Thx

In terms of the NTMLv1 that Airgetlam brought up, I did eventually find a doc that Synology removed the option in their latest released software version (v7, the version that’s on my NAS).

I’m using the admin id with the Volume name visible in my Windows Network.

My understanding has been that the Linux Kernel used on the older S1 devices does not support a higher version of SMB and it’s not viable to change the kernel on the old hardware.. hence the need for the split to S2 System, plus the older devices we’re running out of memory/storage space.

The S2 products are the only way to achieve having the higher (more secure) version of SMB - what you’re asking for is not viable for Sonos to do due to the hardware limitation, much in the same way an old monochrome TV will not display colour via its screen .. its perhaps time to upgrade your devices if you want/need this feature, otherwise I would rely on your local network security/software to keep your NAS share safe and you can always opt to use the Plex service instead.

Can you expand on using the Plex service instead? 

I have just lowered the security on a Synology NAS used for work projects, and I would prefer not to do that just to have the music folder be accessible to our Sonos Connect:amp — which is great hardware for our needs and in no need of replacement. 

I have just lowered the security on a Synology NAS used for work projects, and I would prefer not to do that just to have the music folder be accessible to our Sonos Connect:amp — which is great hardware for our needs and in no need of replacement. 

I’d just buy a cheap NAS that runs SMBv1 and has enough storage for your needs. Use that purely for Sonos, and you can up the security on your Synology NAS. If your music library is small enough, it might even fit on a USB stick to plug into your router.

No, it shouldn’t be necessary to do this, but it’s a lot cheaper than changing the Sonos kit.

Can you expand on using the Plex service instead? 

Re: Plex Service on Sonos, see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3405

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It simply isn’t gonna happen, it’s S1, it’s “dead”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos has at least two options to correct this misbehavior. One of them is without expense - the “No cost to Sonos option”. The other one is to update their software and firmware like an honest and responsible business should do.

1. Release the firmware - post it on GitHub (etc), under the same license terms as they got for the Linux kernel they used. (That they haven’t done this years ago may be a violation of their license for the kernel code).
  2. Fix this insecure software. Sonos could yet salvage some of their reputation as a fair and honest company.

Sonos has released a lot of their software as is required by the GPL License it carries. You can download it from their open source pages.

If you can get the kernel to compile, with SMB 3 support active, and fit the memory footprint of the S1 devices, I’m sure they would be willing to pay you well for a copy of your code.