Answered

connecting music library on Synology NAS to Sonos

• 29 August 2021
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Also see this link…

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/smb1-security-issue-lack-of-response-from-sonos-6860761?postid=16551779#post16551779

With respect to the SMB1 security issue, you have no choice but to accept this risk because SONOS requires SMB1. Hopefully, SONOS will start accepting SMB2 or SMB3 in the future.

Hi Stuart_49

I'm having an identical experience (WD to Synology, can’t access, etc).  You mention that setting up NTMLv1 did the trick, but you didn't say where to find that option.

I looked is DSM help but it doesn't mentioned NTML.

It does have SMB but advises against using SMB1 because of security issues.

Should I call Sonos like you did?

Cheers

Peter

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just to close with success on this, in case someone else has difficulty with the Synology NAS connection to Sonos as I surely did. There was in fact an additional setting that enables NTMLv1 on Synology (in addition to SMB setting). Thanks Airgetlam for that, I just couldn’t find it anywhere in Synology settings until I got on the phone with Sonos support and they were able to show me where the NTMLv1 enable is. Also, on the Mac at least, the path that worked for Sonos excluded the “Volume 1” qualifier, since that threw an error when I tried to include it.

I’m using the admin id with the Volume name visible in my Windows Network.

Userlevel 1
Badge

buzz, are you simply using the main Synology ID for Sonos that you setup when initializing your NAS? (versus Guest or Admin, for example) Also, on the path name, are you including Synology’s volume? (as in my case it’s “Volume 1”). Thx

In terms of the NTMLv1 that Airgetlam brought up, I did eventually find a doc that Synology removed the option in their latest released software version (v7, the version that’s on my NAS).

I’m using Synology and haven’t had any trouble. It was one click to enable SMBv1 and I was off to the races. I will say that the drive is in my face for user/password entry and a little slower at startup than I like.

If I recall correctly, one of those other threads certainly suggested that it does, but since I don’t own a Synology device, I’ve not searched the online manual for the term NTML to see. YMMV, and it’s entirely possible it’s based on the particular version, although it would seem odd that they don’t all run on the same firmware, but I don’t design NAS devices for a living. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thx, I did notice that in other threads, and the best I can tell, Synology doesn’t have a setting for enabling NTMLv1.

As suggested in the several threads about this, did you also enable NTML1?