Cannot adjust volume buttons with Android phone unless I'm in Spotify or Sonos app

• 4 November 2022
  • 42 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Team!

I rented a Sonos Five for a few months on Grover and was very happy with it.

Now I purchased my own device and I ran into the following problem which is quite detrimental to the experience.

This applies to the Spotify Listening, which I always use via the Spotify App on my Android Phone.

Before, I could always control the volume from wherever I am.

Now I cannot control the volume unless I am currently in the Spotify or Sonos app.

If I change the volume when the phone is locked or I am outside the Spotify or Sonos app, it just controls the phone ringtone volume.
So every time I have to adjust the volume, i need  to unlock the phone, open one of the 2 apps, and control the volume. this does take up a lot of time because i need to adjust the volume very frequently.

I already adjusted the settings as shown in the following articles

Control Sonos volume with a mobile device’s hardware buttons

Control Sonos from the Android lock screen

Any clue on how to fix this?

Corry P 1 year ago

Hi all,

I was able to resolve this issue on my own Android 9 device in the following way:

Android Settings » Notifications » Sonos (tap the name Sonos, not the switch) » disable Background Services.

Hopefully, the same method will work on Android versions 10 and 11, though it will not work on 12 and will likely not work on versions later than 12, due to changes in the Android operating system. This fix comes from 

No official updates as of yet.

I hope this helps.

View original

42 replies

Badge

I have the Sonos notification up and the extra one "stopping the service may interrupt playback notifications" which is super confusing and a poor UX. You can see in the screenshot that I'm trying to press the volume and it is not adjusting Sonos but instead my Android media volume.

You can tap on "Adjust volume" and do your volume thing.

It's *** from Sonos to pretend that it's not working to adjust volume from home screen.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 1

Is anyone at Sonos working on this problem?

Is this more of a google vs Sonos -don't care, can't be bothered lawsuit issue? I have a pixel 7, android 13, and the God damn volume buttons don't work either. I reported 6 months ago, still nothing!

Is there any update on this issue?

I use to have A Sony Xperia with Android 12 which was working perfectly fine.

Now I have a Pixel 7a with Android 13 and I cannot control my Sonos volume from the lock-screen with the hardware buttons anymore. Only when the Sonos app is on top I can change the volume of my devices (via the hardware buttons on my phone).

I also have both Home Screen Volume Control and Lock Screen Controls turned on. I too seem to confirm this is a Pixel issue!

I've got an update myself….

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/220996901?hl=en&sjid=11444221112659177826-EU

The function was removed due to patent issues between Sonos & Google.

Because Sonos and Google are flexing, we as the consumers suffer. Best to beat both at there own game. 

Do not buy Sonos, and do not buy Google pixel phones, consumer gets the last laugh. 

I will not purchase Sonos products in to the future, good job flexing. 

Sonos, just remember - supply and demand, you don't have the demand, you lose. 

I've got an update myself….

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/220996901?hl=en&sjid=11444221112659177826-EU

The function was removed due to patent issues between Sonos & Google.

Is it Google that removed this feature then? And it so then why they don't bring it back now that they won that beef. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi there, OP here.

I’ve got some bad news.
Last year, this went back to working perfectly on my Samsung S21 and Samsung S10E.
It worked up to a few days ago, even after updating to Android 12 last month.

Now it suddenly stopped working and I don’t know why… all the settings are correct.
Does anybody have any similar experience?

And most importantly: Any Samsung S24 owners here who can say if it works or not?
 I’m thinking of buying a Samsung S24 but if I have to open my music player to  change the SONOS Volume it might be a deal breaker… and I might have to switch to iPhone.

Cheers,
Dani

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Tagging other members in this discussion to see if they’re also facing a similar issue, maybe someone has a solution 😇
@lvanderree @frisbeedude @Keithmac @Mac2thaPac @Sonosplacelikehome @Polarity @Rich86 @Rosenholm @zed5000 @Marinn @ElijahLynn 

For my Pixel 6a it just started to work again :)

Badge

For my Pixel 6a it just started to work again :)

That's great!!

Not on my Pixel 8pro dough....

Naa my Pixel 7a didn't work out of the box with Android 13 and not on latest Android 14 either sadly. This is a real deal breaker honestly but my old Xperia 1 (2019) still works flawlessly for this though so I use it only at home adjusting volumes. Don't remember if it's stuck on Android 11 but I think so. 

Still doesn't work on my pixel8pro /android 14

SONOS was using a hack to implement the home screen controls. Both APPLE and GOOGLE presented SONOS with a choice -- ditch the hack or your application will be removed from the App store.

SONOS players fetch music directly from the source. The phone/pad/computer SONOS Apps are simply remote controls for the SONOS players. The SONOS controllers can be shut down or uninstalled after music play is started.

If you are using a phone/pad App to play music directly from the phone/pad, that App can place controls on the home screen.

Userlevel 1

Still not working on my Pixel 5 Pro, Android 14. 😢

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@frisbeedude @zed5000 @Rosenholm 

Sad :(

Has it worked at any moment in the past months?

Mine did, and it suddenly stopped last week, and I don’t know why.
It still worked after I updated my S10e and S21 to Android 14 some months ago.

Userlevel 1

@frisbeedude @zed5000 @Rosenholm 

Sad :(

Has it worked at any moment in the past months?

Mine did, and it suddenly stopped last week, and I don’t know why.
It still worked after I updated my S10e and S21 to Android 14 some months ago.

Nope - Mine hasn’t worked in many months, I’d guess 8 or more.