can't add Apple Music on Android

• 13 November 2021
  • 9 replies

Screen turns white, just like many users experience. 

On chat support I was told that it's Apple's fault and Sonos can't solve it. Is that true?

You are still selling Beam stating that it works with Apple Music, that's a bold lie.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Neither can I.

And Sonos keep on advertising that Apple Music works with their products!

I have today found this issue.

I have tried to add it via the SONOS app on Mac and it clearly states I can only add ‘Apple Music’ via iOS or Android. I have tried via Android and get the white screen. I have tried via Macbook and it does not allow. I have tried via a friends iPhone and it will only add the account that is logged in on the phone. Having spent thousands of pounds on SONOS and Apple equipment I do expect that they will work together and I should not need to buy an iPhone to get this working. I can’t understand anyone defending either company!

I suppose that you are right about the technical issues, Ken. Thank you. But I think that Sonos have a larger responsibility towards Apple, Android or whoever, rather than a consumer.

And frankly, I don't care about the technical stuff.

Sonos sold me a product that doesn't include the service that they promoted, and continue to promote.

Things are always ‘subject to change’ I guess, as many user-manuals tend to remind the customer. I would rather Sonos not remove the service altogether for Android users, it works okay for anyone that can install it using an iPhone/iPad, so let’s hope that it gets fixed, rather than anyone losing out in the longer term.

I suppose that you are right about the technical issues, Ken. Thank you. But I think that Sonos have a larger responsibility towards Apple, Android or whoever, rather than a consumer.

And frankly, I don't care about the technical stuff.

Sonos sold me a product that doesn't include the service that they promoted, and continue to promote.

1. We are customers of Apple, but Apple doesn’t even mention Sonos on the web.
  2. Sonos are promoting their products stating that Apple Music can be used with their products, knowing that’s not true. They have to stop their false marketing.  
  3. Sonos should inform existing clients (I bought my Beam in Oct 2020) about the problem, offering a plan for a solution.

By all the accounts mentioned in several threads here, the music service referred to, built into the Sonos system is in the hands of Apple developers, as they choose to add the Apple Music Service to Sonos (like every other provider) via the published Sonos API - Everything ‘clearly’ all works for the many ‘other’ music services available via the Sonos App and it works too from every compatible Apple device.

The Apple Music service however fails to authorise when installing it from an Android device only.. so it’s clear this is either an Apple or (Google) Android issue. Sonos undoubtedly would have already fired off a request to their partners to kindly fix this for their customer. It’s then very much out of their hands and like I say all the dozens of other music services continue to work just fine, strongly hinting that it’s likely to be an Apple issue, or maybe a security issue with Android that Apple are not happy with perhaps somewhere in the authorisation process and account linking. These things of course are all just speculative.

Sonos will unlikely comment (particularly unfavourably) about a partner, no matter how much people rant about this. Those who are rightly complaining should perhaps help further by contacting Apple and/or Google, if it’s found to be an Android issue and also ask them to fix it too.. perhaps the more a customer complains, the more Apple and/or Google are likely to prioritise this - complaining to Sonos is unlikely to have anywhere near the same effect.

It’s clear Sonos are aware - I don’t think it’s clear that Apple or Google are aware and working on this because most who post to this forum about this matter, appear to have not (yet) contacted Apple or Google about it. So that seems the way to go and I’m curious to understand why many people here have not chosen to report it to those who are (perhaps) ‘more likely’ to be responsible.

1. We are customers of Apple, but Apple doesn’t even mention Sonos on the web.
  2. Sonos are promoting their products stating that Apple Music can be used with their products, knowing that’s not true. They have to stop their false marketing.  
  3. Sonos should inform existing clients (I bought my Beam in Oct 2020) about the problem, offering a plan for a solution.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

1. We’re customers of both Sonos (for the speakers and Sonos app services), and Apple (for Apple Music. We can and should report bugs to both companies and continue to out the pressure on until the bug gets fixed. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

2​​​​​​​​​​​​​. Sonos deserves criticism for the poor performance of their PR tracking system that had them making each new customer reporting the bug jump through the same time-wasting diagnostic hoops for months when it should have been identified as a known bug after the first few reports.

3. Customers experiencing degraded service because of this bug would like to hear something a little more encouraging and informative that “yes we know it’s a bug and we blame Apple”. Like maybe what Sonos is doing about it and a time frame for fixing it.

Customer service will never improve if you make excuses for substandard performance instead of holding them accountable.

I think the OP is suggesting that the moment a bug appears, no matter where the bug lies, Sonos should immediately change not only their website, but recall all packaging in stores, print new boxes, and redistribute the new boxes to the retailers until such time as the bug has been fixed.

As a guess, I’d suggest the ‘slowness’ in fixing this issue means it is on Apple’s side, since Sonos would have already fixed it if it was in Sonos code. And given that the issue didn’t start on a particular Sonos software release, but instead in between such, that also suggests the issue is on Apple’s side. And frankly, I can see it being fairly low priority for Apple, if it is indeed on their side. They likely don’t particularly care if Sonos’ customers are unhappy, nor do they probably have the same perception of it as an issue, as most people are complaining to Sonos in these forums, and Apple does not maintain any official presence here. There would likely need to be a higher level of complaints directly to Apple to make a bigger difference, and Apple has never really made that sort of feedback easy. 

Userlevel 7

Not sure whose fault it is, but Sonos is fully aware of the problem with Apple Music and Android devices and is currently investigating it. If you can borrow a friend or family member’s iOS device, you should be able to add Apple Music to your Sonos account. This will allow you to play it on the Beam using your Android phone.