Answered

Audio glitches with Youtube Music via the Sonos App?

Show first post

110 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Not solved, and not likely to be solved. Here’s the answer I got back from the support desk:

“I just heard back from our specialized team just now. I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for, and I sincerely wish I had a better one to provide. However, the concerns that have been reported were deemed to be beyond our support boundary.”

Same here! I was losing my damn mind trying to figure this out. Turns out, I'm not alone. But, also, sadly.....I'm not alone. Wish they could resolve this for all of us. It used to work just fine! 😫

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Loretharn.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Have you already done any Troubleshooting steps so far?

Can you try to use a different controller to play youtube, and try also to remove and add back to YT in the Sonos application.

I’d also be tempted to do a network refresh, by unplugging all Sonos devices, then rebooting the router. When the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices wait for 1-2 minutes, and test it again

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi @bobby.batson - it doesn’t look like you’re on a Beta program currently. I’d recommend that you reach out to our Support Team via live chat or phone call, so they can take a closer look at what’s going on, and go through some live troubleshooting.

It would also help if you took a diagnostic shortly after experiencing the issue, and take a note of the confirmation number - that will help when looking in to what’s causing this :)

I was previously on Beta - you are correct, I am not currently. I guess I stopped. I will call-in - the glitch happens randomly and frequently while on Youtube Music. I signed-up for Apple Music and I am not having the problem - been testing on the same songs and albums (Black Pumas). 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Mark P.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

One possible cause why this issue still continues and now other music services are affected is because of wifi interference.

Can you try in the meantime to hardwire one of your smaller speakers directly to the Sonos Boost for it to have a more stable connection?

Also in your main modem/router check if the configuration for the Auto channel is set to off.

If you're not familiar to check this you can contact your cable provider for the step-by-step guide.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Same here, really annoying glitches, chirps and micro-stutters. It’s happening on both wired and wireless speakers (play:1) as well as a playbar/sub/2xplay:1 setup. Other services not affected.

Hi, I used to get one big glitch when beginning streaming a track on YM via Sonos, then things would settle down. This morning, I've had to turn the music off as I was getting 3/4 glitches per track coming out of both and individual stereo paired Play Ones. I've dropped YouTube a msg but it's a horrible listening experience. I'm now listening through Chromecast on my old stereo...not a glitch at all. 

I feel sane finding this thread i have been dealing with this for a while also. I guess i won't waste time anymore chasing my tail with support if this is a wide spread issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

It seem to be resolved in version 13.4 - I have not had the problem since... Hoping it is fixed for good!

Userlevel 1

I think @controlav has an interesting point but perhaps could have explained it more clearly to folks who aren’t software engineers

Makes me wonder how Sonos is able to do it. My guess is that they have a special arrangement with Youtube which gives them access to a non-public interface, since the integration adds value to both Sonos and YTM as products.

If there is a special arrangement, then it’s hard to say whether the cause of the glitches is on Sonos’ or Youtube’s side.

There is no special arrangement: YTM implemented a SMAPI endpoint like every other music service, which is publicly documented, then they give Sonos the urls to it to add to the global list of services. Anyone who knows how (eg my apps) can consume that endpoint for enumeration. Playback does require certificate pinning, so only the official Sonos apps can stream (this is to avoid piracy so makes sense).

However reliable streaming does require the YTM endpoint actually provides streams in a reliable and timely fashion, and that appears to not be the case. My guess is that there aren’t enough servers allocated to that SMAPI endpoint because Google don’t care enough.

Ah that makes sense; I had assumed it was Sonos that had to build the integration against a Youtube API, not vice versa.

In that case, seems better to take this to the YTM support forum.

But given that YTM still needs a lot of work to catch up with competing music platforms, I’d guess fixing this would be low priority.

The odd thing is that when it was Google Music, it worked well. It was only when they switched over to YTM that things became troublesome. I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusions. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Loretharn.

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Glad it works, if you can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number just to see if everything is in good condition now.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi. I also have the same issue

Ytm via sonos app results in frequent in glitches (loud static noise) as well as period missing a beat.

This does not happen with other streaming services as spotify.

It also doesnt glitch if i listen to ytm via the ytm app.

I have tried lower and higher quality settings in ytm. But doesnt solve the problem.

Its soo bad i cannot listen to tym vua the sonos app.

100 procent sure its not my network. Fiber 1gb up/down and mesh wifi 5 network.

The conclusions above are right. The ytm api via sonos app is not good enough

Userlevel 1

LZL - that makes sense.

Arguably, SONOS should not be providing the service if it does not come up to expected standards (no matter who is providing it).

Please don’t get we wrong, I’ve been very happy with SONOS since 2010 when I bought my first bundle (including a CR200 that is still working fine)

Napster - worked great for years until artists started pulling their music

Google Play Music - worked great, no issues at all

YouTube Music - works but glitches in every track

Hopefully a bright spark will come up with a solution soon.

What I find strange is that I haven’t heard sporadic glitches like this since the days of CD rips and mp3 downloads via dial-up internet. Error correction works well enough these days that corrupt transfers are uncommon, so the worst that happens when the network is bad is that the audio pauses until the buffer can refill enough to resume.

Another strange thing is that when I hear a glitch and then skip back to a few seconds before it and replay, I don’t hear it the second time.

Yet another strange thing is that I’m pretty sure I hear at least one glitch in every track, but never two in a short time, so it’s not frequent enough to be super obvious. For weeks I wondered whether my ears were mistaken until I came across this thread.

Maybe YTM won’t allow tracks to be streamed in perfect fidelity via third party software because they can’t guarantee it won’t be copied, so they add minimally invasive glitches to each one. It sounds a bit ridiculous, but when was the last time anyone heard glitches like this on any streaming music platform?

This idea is plausible, my experience with the glitches is the same as yours (I’m a network engineer and understand that this is not a connection / network issue)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi All,

Got the same problem. My steps that helped:

• Settings->System->Network->Manage Networks->Update Network. Follow the steps.
  • While plain YTM any song, Settings->Products (your steup)->TruePlay->TruePlay tuning (tern it off and on again). You should here the difference in how the song is played when TruePlay is off and then on

Quote me if that helps. I will then try to explain why this is happening (P.S. nothing to do with YTM)

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @babygrogu.

Thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps as well as remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I have been having this same problem. My glitch sounds just like the recording that one of the other users posted. (Thank you for doing that!)

I have a few diagnostics to share, where I have sent them shortly after hearing the chirp.

Please advise on how I can resolve this issue. Thank you! 

Removed and readded the service and it's occurred again. Diagnostic:

Same issues here :

• at work with 2 Sonos 1 (Sonos app)
  • at home with 2 Sonos 1 and 1 Sonos 5 (1th gen) (Sonos S1 app)

No issue at all with Spotify or other music services, only Youtube Music.

“Screatch” seems to happen at the exact same time in the song, when I replay it.

I have spoken to Youtube Music support this morning and it has been suggested that the problem is on the Sonos side of the link and not something YTM can resolve from their side. 

If this is the case, then Sonos really need to get this sorted its very frustrating. 

I have submitted diagnostics and noted the reference on the other thread.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Forget it, still have the issue:(

Forget it, still have the issue:(

You mentioned a year ago you had ‘lags’ with Google - it seems a very long time to have these issues - have you checked your local network for problems and spoke with your ISP/Sonos Support?

You might just need to optimise your WiFi channels/channel-width and change a few settings to resolve your issues, perhaps?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks @Mark P . I just submitted another set of diagnostics. Here is the confirmation number: 38446729

I also just listened to some  music on Spotify (via the Sonos S1 app) and had no glitches. However, switching back to Youtube Music I immediately had a few glitches again. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I have a potential solution for you all. Its more of a “work around” and may be minimally inconvenient, but since this thread has been going on for almost a year, I feel your pain...

My set up includes a sonos bar and sonos beam (amongst others). since these connect to the tv (via optical cable), and I also have my computer connected to the TV (my monitor), playing anything on a computer vis-a-vis a TV takes all audio-visual formats like youTube onto sonos speakers, controllable via the sonos app, avoiding the YTM-Sonos interplay that so many described so eloquently and likely the source of the grief.

Just offering up my humble 2 cents worth. Hope it helps. (I dont have said issue)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I haven't noticed any issues since the last time I posted 2 weeks ago, so it seems to be fixed (knock on wood).

I haven't noticed any issues since the last time I posted 2 weeks ago, so it seems to be fixed (knock on wood).

Same here, looks like it has been addressed.  :sunglasses: