Answered

Audio glitches with Youtube Music via the Sonos App?

Show first post

110 replies

Can confirm I get glitches (increasingly it feels) on YT music too. Every other service works just fine. 9 months ago this thread started!

Shame. 

Yep. You can shame Google, who has poorly implemented the Sonos API, after having done  a much better job on the older Google music integration. If only Sonos had access to Google’s music servers, I bet they could fix it in a jiffy. 

Userlevel 1

LZL - that makes sense.

Arguably, SONOS should not be providing the service if it does not come up to expected standards (no matter who is providing it).

Please don’t get we wrong, I’ve been very happy with SONOS since 2010 when I bought my first bundle (including a CR200 that is still working fine)

Napster - worked great for years until artists started pulling their music

Google Play Music - worked great, no issues at all

YouTube Music - works but glitches in every track

Hopefully a bright spark will come up with a solution soon.

What I find strange is that I haven’t heard sporadic glitches like this since the days of CD rips and mp3 downloads via dial-up internet. Error correction works well enough these days that corrupt transfers are uncommon, so the worst that happens when the network is bad is that the audio pauses until the buffer can refill enough to resume.

Another strange thing is that when I hear a glitch and then skip back to a few seconds before it and replay, I don’t hear it the second time.

Yet another strange thing is that I’m pretty sure I hear at least one glitch in every track, but never two in a short time, so it’s not frequent enough to be super obvious. For weeks I wondered whether my ears were mistaken until I came across this thread.

Maybe YTM won’t allow tracks to be streamed in perfect fidelity via third party software because they can’t guarantee it won’t be copied, so they add minimally invasive glitches to each one. It sounds a bit ridiculous, but when was the last time anyone heard glitches like this on any streaming music platform?

This audio glitch has made YTM totally unlistenable through Sonos for me. It’s a shame because I’ve been using Google Play Music through Sonos for a very long time and it always worked great until the forced switchover to YTM. The audio glitch for me is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Extremely harsh irritating sound, especially at volume. It happens at least once per song, but often more. For some reason I’ve been naively thinking they’d fix it, but I guess I’ll just have to switch streaming services. Here’s demo of what I hear (at 2 sec):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xkgOHdxDee8W6C32xyvoM5xaewREDA7I/view?usp=sharing

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos causing YTM glitches.

I can only imagine that Sonos is deliberately hobbling YTM for some reason. 

PS there is the side issue with ‘Likes’ on Sonos for YTM tracks.

Please don’t be ridiculous. That fact that the YTM SMAPI service is full of bugs and missing features is a much more likely cause of glitchy playback, plus Google’s total lack of interest in fixing anything means that smart users should change services, eg to iBroacast.

Userlevel 1

@controlav.

Sorry, you feel this is ridiculous.

What other conclusions can you come to, when YTM casts fine for hours with no glitches,  Yet when playing the same tracks through Sonos there are glitches in EVERY track?

I have the same issue. It’s like a sudden electric shock which could give people heart attack

Similar chirping problems for the past year.  I only have S1 equipment (except for 1 beam - thought the S1 equipment might have been the issue) and have been on the fence with upgrading everything to S2 - if this YTM and SONOS chirping problem doesn’t get resolved I will definitely not upgrade.

Similar chirping problems for the past year.  I only have S1 equipment (except for 1 beam - thought the S1 equipment might have been the issue) and have been on the fence with upgrading everything to S2 - if this YTM and SONOS chirping problem doesn’t get resolved I will definitely not upgrade.

I think you would be best to perhaps follow the advice from, Mark P. in this thread, who provides the answer to the OP …and that is if you are experiencing the issue to contact Sonos phone support .. the link to do that is also shown in his post.

So not a very positive outcome from the YTM Support Desk Staff then.

Did the YTM Staff not say that they would put in a formal request from their end to Sonos, (if they had not done so already), as I understand that is what normally happens between partner services?

Also, it’s most unusual for one partner to publicly say that it’s the other partners fault - most just say that’s it’s an issue they’re aware of and they are working on with their partner service to get fixed.

Userlevel 1

I’ve also noticed that if I replay the song, the glitch seems to occur at the same moment in the song, leading me to believe that it’s encoded in the stream distributed among the players, and not related to poor wireless connectivity.  It may also be worth noting that my system operates without a Sonos Bridge.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @User829729 

The issue seems to be interference near the Play:3. As the Play:3 is in charge of the current group, this is affecting all your speakers. I recommend you disband the current group, then select Bedroom and group the other speakers to it. This puts the Bedroom speaker in charge of the group and should improve things.

I also recommend you identify and remove the source of interference near the Play:3 speaker - more help can be found on our reducing wireless interference page.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Forget it, still have the issue:(

You mentioned a year ago you had ‘lags’ with Google - it seems a very long time to have these issues - have you checked your local network for problems and spoke with your ISP/Sonos Support?

You might just need to optimise your WiFi channels/channel-width and change a few settings to resolve your issues, perhaps?

Yep, had issues with Google Play, but since it was shut down and i moved to YTM, there were no problems until recent time. Surprisingly, there are absolutely no lags in any other source except YTM. Will continue investigation

I chatted with YTM support and had them look at this thread (google “sonos 6849831”), see the linked videos and the locked google support thread that was linked earlier. 

The person on the other side was great and really wanted to help, but they couldn’t do much.  They checked with other team members around them, no luck.  Only thing on their script was to remove and add the account.  They didn’t have an option to escalate.

If someone has more luck, please update.

Userlevel 1

Glad I’m not alone.

I used this “Email the CEO option” on the SONOS support page and was connected with someone from the SONOS team.  Spent 30 minutes on the phone. I sent him the recording with the Chirping sound and provided more insights.  He never got back to me (Three weeks and counting).

I guess we are on our own with this one :-|

Btw - I rebooted my Google Wifi routers and the problem went away for a few days. But now it’s back and it looks like the chirping is more frequent. 

I don’t have internet issues. I have Sonic 1GB Fiber internet.  It’s the most reliable network I ever had.

Hi Corry P. Thank you for these tips. I will try them out.

It does seem to be a YTM specific problem. But I will also change the speaker grouping, as well as potential interference in this living room area.

Thanks again! 

Similar issue here. Whenever I first play a YouTube music track it will skip what sounds like about a 1/4 of a beat roughly every 10-15 seconds. I usually let it continue playing for about 2 minutes then start the same track from the beginning and the problem goes away. 

This is happening both with the S1 app with Play 5 gen 1 and S2 with Arc.

I’m from the U.K. too and currently ‘out and about’ in the Midlands area with a Sonos Roam running on mobile WiFi and using the YouTube Music service installed in the Sonos App and it doesn’t miss a beat, nor is it skipping here. The Peter Gabriel tracks I’m listening to are all playing fine - I would expect all of us to have the same issue, if it was a Sonos or Google issue - so perhaps it’s a local network issue in your case. I would perhaps submit a system diagnostic report and note it’s reference and then contact Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and ask them to take a look at your setup.

Hope you get it sorted.👍

Thank god other people are getting this too - I don’t feel so alone!  I’m getting glitches in YouTube Music sound all the time - having to switch to my Amazon Prime (Free) Music channel.  I would drop YouTube Music if I could, but I only pay for YouTube Premium to get rid of ads on YouTube.

Seems this isn’t going to be solved anytime soon ...

Badge

I opened up a ticket and submitted audio sample of the chirping noise. Hoping they will fix the issue with the API between YouTube Music Service and Sonos.

Ticket number: 02729032

New Recording.m4a (from Move):

- Paired : Dining Room - Play 5 and Move
- chirping : Between - 2m56s and 3m00s

New Recording 5.m4a (from Bathroom Play 1):

- Paired : Dining Room(Play 5), Bathroom(Play 1), Master Bathroom(Play 1), Master Bedroom(Play 1), Bathroom(Play 1), Move
- chirping : Between - 4m20s and 4m30s

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ok, thanks @Mark P. For what it’s worth, right now I’m trying playing through the Youtube Music App on my phone with a cable into my Play 5 and it’s been perfectly fine (in all rooms), so the issue still seems isolated to the Youtube Music integration in the Sonos App. 

I’ll call support though and see where that goes. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah I don't think so. It works flawlessly playing music from my local computer or from other streaming services. It's definitely something to do with YouTube Music and not my setup. 

Hello, Mark P,

reinstalling youtube on the app did not help, but unplugging und replugging everything helped. Since then I had only one glitch and then no more. 

Thank You

Loretharn

I’ve got exactly the same problem. Seems to be only with YouTube Music. It’s almost like a CD skipping. I’ve moved all my sonos’s from Wifi to hard wired to see if that was causing it without any luck. 

This needs resolving as it very annoying. 

Sonos certainly doesn’t control what aspects of the API that Google implements. It has been noted before that the implementation for Google Music was much better than what Google has done for YouTube Music. And the speculation continues to be the lawsuit between the two companies may be a reason for that. Your best bet is to complain to the folks who implemented the API, i.e. the folks at YouTube Music.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @p_wats.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.