"Your Sonos System Not Found" after it was already connected and playing

My system has been connected and having no problems.  Then I started getting fairly regular error messages on all my controllers "Your Sonos System Not Found".  Then the controller functionality returns and I hit play again... only to see that same system not found message 5-10 minutes later.  I'd love some help trouble shooting this problem.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This is happening to me too, please help. Diagnostic code 7194276

The diagnostic is showing a lot of wireless interference on the BOOST. Have you tried changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system?

Also, make sure that the BOOST is not right next to your router or any other wireless device, like a cordless phone base station. A few feet is good, more is better.
Userlevel 2
This is happening to me too, please help. Diagnostic code 7194276
The software is uncapable of finding out if the controller software is communicating through 2.4Ghz networks while the equipment is on 5Ghz networks and vice versa. In 99% of the cases I simply had to switch my Ipad/Iphone to the other network to get a connection.

Well, that right there is your problem. Sonos doesn't communicate with your router in the 5 GHZ band. Unfortunately, with Sonos in WiFi mode (no wired Sonos components), most basic routers separate the 5 GHZ and 2.4 GHz into separate segments. So your devices on the 5 GHz WLAN can't communicate with devices on the 2.4 GHz WLAN, and Sonos is exclusively on the 2.4 GHz WLAN.

The software is simply mediocre.

Actually, the software is quite robust. You are just using it at its most basic level, with a basic router. For a worry free install that will use both the 2.4 and 5 GHz WLAN, connect one of your Sonos devices directly to your router to activate the Sonosnet mesh mode. If one is not convenient to your router or a LAN port, get a Boost for the wired component.
Badge
my sonos disappears and reappears, very annoying, however, when it is working we love it! Yes, I understand it is my network that drops it, and then finds it.
The software is simply mediocre.
The Sonos software simply follows the established UPnP standard for device discovery.

The 'mediocre' part is where some routers fail to forward such traffic between their 2.4GHz and 5GHz segments.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The software is uncapable of finding out if the controller software is communicating through 2.4Ghz networks while the equipment is on 5Ghz networks and vice versa. In 99% of the cases I simply had to switch my Ipad/Iphone to the other network to get a connection.

IP address conflicts, none. All equipment has been given IPs through DHCP as could been seen in the clients table in the router. No conflicts either.

I have quite alot of networking equipment but the Sonos equipment is the only one causing issues. The software is simply mediocre.

Are you asking for help or is this just a grumble. I can't tell from your post.

By the way the SonosNet operates on 2,4 GHz. It uses the 5 GHz to connect sub and surrounds to Playbar. If your Idevice connects to YOUR wi-fi's 5 GHz network then that isn't Sonos' fault.
Userlevel 3
Badge

IP address conflicts, none. All equipment has been given IPs through DHCP as could been seen in the clients table in the router. No conflicts either.

I have quite alot of networking equipment but the Sonos equipment is the only one causing issues. The software is simply mediocre.
Badge
thanks, I will try all suggestions
Guys! I've had problem with "Your sonos was not found" all the time and seems that I found a solution!

My router has 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz wifis on by default. It turns out that Sonos were using one standard while my phone would use the other one.

What I did is I turned off 5 ghz on my wifi router (because I'm using some older equipment that doesn't work with 5ghz) and using 2.4 ghz wifi only now. Worked like a charm! My iphone 6 connects to Sonos system immediately every single time!

Try to fix your router settings and make your Sonos system great again!
Badge
thank you I will do that
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have bridges and boosters, one day Sonos was perfect and then it disappeared. This has been happening for years, however for over the past month it has completely disappeared

Hi Annoyedbysonos,

It sounds like your BRIDGE is losing communication with your router from time to time. This may be due to a faulty ethernet cable, faulty ethernet port, or IP address conflict. Please start by swapping out the ethernet cable and see if that helps. You can also try swapping ethernet ports on your BRIDGE and Router.

If the issue remains, try wiring a different Sonos unit into your router and see if your system returns.

You can also try the steps outlined in this FAQ.

If none of these steps help, please let me know and I'll create a support ticket for you and get you in contact with our phone team for further troubleshooting.
Badge
I have bridges and boosters, one day Sonos was perfect and then it disappeared. This has been happening for years, however for over the past month it has completely disappeared
Badge
Sonos is fantastic until it is not Biggest upset was the day of a huge family get together, and NO Sonos. My daughter connected her Iphone to something and that was all we had, so annoying, no music is just NOT GOOD!!
Is your PC wired to the router? Some routers won't forward discovery broadcasts between the wired and wireless segments. Sonos relies on these to locate the players. And before you ask, this is entirely compliant with the UPnP standards. Some routers simply don't play ball.

I have to say that having a wired component -- a BRIDGE or BOOST -- would probably solve your problems.
I have similar problems. Diagnostics number is 5525821.

I've had many issues keeping my apps connected to my SONOS setup, and I've redone the whole setup about 10 times now since i bought it last month.

I have a wireless setup, no BOOST device. All is working fine now thank the gods, and as we speak the SONOS is playing some radio station.
On the iPAD the SONOS APP is connected to the device, but my PC SONOS Application cannot find the SONOS. But I'm sure it is connected!
I can see the SONOS on my wireless router, with IP address 192.168.1.4.

I would love to just be able to point the application to the bloody IP address... Shouldn't be that difficult, should it? 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks testcard, I pulled up the diagnostic from the other thread. Since you're not seeing this issue on a Windows10 computer, just the iPad and iPhone. Might as well keep these threads separate. My apologies on before, I somehow read your comment to say that you also had the Win10 trouble.

Does rebooting the router resolve the connection trouble with the iPhone or iPad? Even temporarily. If it does, I'd recommend giving us a call on our support line. A technician can assist further investigating the system live.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I'll submit diagnostic on the other thread. FYI, controller is on an iPad Air 2 with the latest version of iOS. No firewall or anti-virus! Network profile is Home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
In spite of fully resetting the system, iPad Air 2 is still showing intermittent issues with connecting to Sonos speakers. The Play/Pause hardware buttons on all speakers are working fine. On a couple of occasions, the Controller will find the Sonos speakers after being left open for around 10 minutes. Interesting that another poster on Windows 10 is experiencing similar issues:
https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/windows-10-several-minutes-to-find-sonos-system-6735461

We'd love to look into this further. Can you send a diagnostic from your Windows 10 controller after it's found the players?

This problem sounds like an issue with the security software on the PC or something wrong with the windows network configuration. Do you run any firewall or anti-virus software on your computer? Also, can you check what the network profile is set at? It should be Private or Home, not Public. I'm going to reach out to that other thread as well, if he's experiencing exactly the same problem you are, it'd be best to continue over there. You can add your diagnostic confirmation on to that thread.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
In spite of fully resetting the system, iPad Air 2 is still showing intermittent issues with connecting to Sonos speakers. The Play/Pause hardware buttons on all speakers are working fine. On a couple of occasions, the Controller will find the Sonos speakers after being left open for around 10 minutes. Interesting that another poster on Windows 10 is experiencing similar issues:
https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/windows-10-several-minutes-to-find-sonos-system-6735461
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My Sonos system has recently developed an issue that I haven't seen before. Living room: 2 x Play 1s and sub. Kitchen: 1 x Play 1. Right Play 1 of the stereo pair connected to router via Ethernet cable. IPad and iPhone controllers on the same wi-if network. On several occasions recently I've used the play/pause hardware button on either the living room or kitchen speakers to play music. However, when opening the controller app to change the music source, it can't find my Sonos system even when both rooms are playing music. This behaviour is seen on both iPad and iPhone.

Please try the full reset procedure in my post above
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
My Sonos system has recently developed an issue that I haven't seen before. Living room: 2 x Play 1s and sub. Kitchen: 1 x Play 1. Right Play 1 of the stereo pair connected to router via Ethernet cable. IPad and iPhone controllers on the same wi-if network. On several occasions recently I've used the play/pause hardware button on either the living room or kitchen speakers to play music. However, when opening the controller app to change the music source, it can't find my Sonos system even when both rooms are playing music. This behaviour is seen on both iPad and iPhone.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thanks for that Stuart, appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When I go into settings - advanced settings and tap wireless setup I just see instructions on setting up a wireless network, there is no reset option. There is an option further down to reset controller but I don't think that's what's being referred to here. How do I get the reset option?
Thanks.

I think what you are referring to is when you reset your WHOLE wi-fi network. See below:-

Switch off your Wi-Fi Router
Switch off ALL your Sonos kit
Switch off ALL devices connected to your Network
- Computers, Laptops, Tablets
- Smartphones, thick phones
- NAS

Switch on Router. Wait until it has re-connecte to the internet
Switch on Sonos Bridge and/or Boost, Connect - Wait a minute or two for them to connect
Switch on your Sonos Plays and Playbar
Switch on all your other network devices

Also, as the above post make sure that your SonosNet is on a different channel to your wi-fi and make sure the device connected to the router via cable is as far away from the router as possible.

If all this fails then submit a diagnostic and post here or phone Sonos with it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
When I go into settings - advanced settings and tap wireless setup I just see instructions on setting up a wireless network, there is no reset option. There is an option further down to reset controller but I don't think that's what's being referred to here. How do I get the reset option?
Thanks.
Im not saying this would work for you but it did for me ..... I had constant not connecting issues and drop outs almost the point where I was about to put my sonos speakers on ebay.

However ..... I got an app called "wi fi explorer" for the mac ..don't know if it is available for windows it gave a pictorial view of wi fi channels in my location ( houses all around ) changed from channel 11 to 6 which was less crowded and no overlaps.

Not had one dropout or connection failure in 14 days.

Sonos is on BBC radio 2 about 10 hours a day.