Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

Userlevel 1
The silence on this thread has become deafening. I think that little story posted in Dec about Sonos support for WP had everybody hoping for some sort of announcement by now. I personally no longer believe that this is ever going to happen, someone high at Sonos probably has some sort of axe to grind with Microsoft, shame it's their customers who pay the price. The last official response was four months ago and the survey was launched almost a year ago, since then Sonos have provided the people on this thread and their wider WP using customer base precisely nothing. Quite depressing really.

I was thinking the same. There is only so long customers will wait.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The silence on this thread has become deafening. I think that little story posted in Dec about Sonos support for WP had everybody hoping for some sort of announcement by now. I personally no longer believe that this is ever going to happen, someone high at Sonos probably has some sort of axe to grind with Microsoft, shame it's their customers who pay the price. The last official response was four months ago and the survey was launched almost a year ago, since then Sonos have provided the people on this thread and their wider WP using customer base precisely nothing. Quite depressing really.
An app for the controller that could be downloaded thought the Windows Store, compatible with windows 8.1 and windows RT would be great. It seems that I am in good company here. having many tablets and products that do not support Sonos, it would be good to see native support.
Userlevel 1
I notice that this is now the top voted idea here on ask.sonos.com. Besides, creating Windows Phone apps really isn't that hard. Even more compelling: make it a universal app and all code except UI can be shared between phone and tablet/desktop.
Which suggests Sonos do what Sonos want, rather than what their existing and potential customer base need.
I notice that this is now the top voted idea here on ask.sonos.com. Besides, creating Windows Phone apps really isn't that hard. Even more compelling: make it a universal app and all code except UI can be shared between phone and tablet/desktop.
Please make a surface rt official app and windows phone 8.1 app, simply amazed they have not been created already and available
Wow. That would be awesome. Like everybody else here, we have been waiting for an official app for years. Hopefully this happens.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Could it really be true???

http://www.windowscentral.com/official-sonos-windows-phone-testing
I'd definitely love an app for my surface.  Just getting a Sonos system this month and not having an app for my Surface is a real bummer.  Sonos, please make it happen
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled sonos controller app for windows 8.1 and windows 10 RT and Phone.
Userlevel 1
To keep up with the times, it might be an idea if everyone in this topic would join me in my new topic on this forum: sonos controller app for windows 8.1 and windows 10 RT and Phone Maybe then sonos will surprise us and we'll find the long awaited controller app in oure stalkings or on the first day of the new year in the app stores! And to you all! Have a marry christmas and a happy new year!
Userlevel 3
Badge
There are numerous threads on this topic and I'm not sure which one is being followed, so I'll comment on multiple threads. It's very frustrating having just invested $2000 in a wireless speaker system that has turned out to be not wireless at all. Because there is no app for windows phones or windows tablets, I'm tethered to my desktop computer. It is a joke showing sonos to friends and having to run upstairs to change the song or station every time. I've reviewed the threads and there's no response from sonos representatives on the topic either.

If we're really lucky we may get a survey too. Can't wait for that.
Userlevel 3
Badge
There are numerous threads on this topic and I'm not sure which one is being followed, so I'll comment on multiple threads. It's very frustrating having just invested $2000 in a wireless speaker system that has turned out to be not wireless at all. Because there is no app for windows phones or windows tablets, I'm tethered to my desktop computer. It is a joke showing sonos to friends and having to run upstairs to change the song or station every time. I've reviewed the threads and there's no response from sonos representatives on the topic either.

Haha. So true.

SONOS doesn’t take people with Windows Phones serious. If they would, there would be much more response from SONOS on this forum. The last official response is 3 months ago. The one before that is 9 months ago. So it will take another 3 months before there will be another ‘Official response’ from SONOS telling you that they are happy with your patience and that they are actively monitoring this thread.
I am in the same boat as Del.  I too had Sonos equipment before getting a Windows Phone.  I was amazed by my Sonos equipment when i got it, and i was also amazed by my Lumia Windows Phone when i got that (the phone got even better with time and OS upgrades).

I can quite confidently say i will be buying another Windows Phone over the next 12 months. (Probably a Lumia handset assuming the next iteration of the 900 series becomes available and Microsoft don't do anything too crazy).

I will not consider buying anymore Sonos equipment until there is support for Windows Phone. (Even though i would like the soundbar and sub if i could control it and the rest of the system with my phone)
Sonos does music very well, but without the app on my phone a large element of the luxury feel of the system is disabled as i have to walk to find the ipad to then control my music.  

So in the next year that is £500-£800 of my money going to Microsoft and £0 going to Sonos - as it stands.  
If a windows phone app is provided I would at least get one of the devices on my wish list (£600) in the next 12 months.  
However if a competitor provides a wireless music system, controllable by Windows phone, and of a very good audio standard; then I will take one last look at this forum before leaving and not looking back. 

I agree. The first company with a good multi room music system AND Windows Phone support can convince the Windows Phone users to switch to their system. So come on Samsung and Denon… And keep an eye open for DTS Play-Fi systems. I think that’s the way to go.
I have started a petition for SONOS to support Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 devices by releasing a universal Windows app.  Please sign it if you would like SONOS to release a Windows app.

https://www.change.org/p/mr-john-macfarlane-sonos-inc-support-the-windows-phone-8-windows-8-platform...

Sure. But they all know that SONOS won’t give them a Windows Phone app. There are 1884 likes on this thread and SONOS can’t care less. So another petition won’t help.
Come on Sonos, looks like this has been going on for years!  There are plenty of people with a Windows phone, all we really need is the ability to choose what music is playing on the speakers if it's soooo much trouble for you to develop the app for Windows......
Would love to have an RT app.  My tablet sits on the counter in my kitchen so it would be the best choice for controlling the system.  I know the survey is over but I've got 1 Sound Bar, 1 Sub, 1 Play5s, 2 Play3s and 3 Play 1s.
Badge
At home we are moving away from Android/Apple to Windows Phone. Over the last 6 months the only way to control the Sonos system was na old iPod Touch, which has some serious battery issues.

I'm buying for Christmas a new stereo with DLNA and the top requisite will be Windows Phone App (free or not)

Sonos system will be packed and stored.
Hi,

It would be great to see both Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 Sonos apps. Currently I am using third party apps and they are missing the look and feel, which comes with desktop, ios, and android apps.

Please, make it happen!

Jaakko
I was looking seriously at SONOS for a full house wireless solution that wasn't Btooth.

Lack of support for Windows tablets/phones is a deal breaker.  My wife won't agree to a solution that doesn't support MS Windows 8.

Bill
I have started a petition for SONOS to support Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 devices by releasing a universal Windows app.  Please sign it if you would like SONOS to release a Windows app.

https://www.change.org/p/mr-john-macfarlane-sonos-inc-support-the-windows-phone-8-windows-8-platform...

the support for your petition is overwhelming... Come on guys! There are more than 18 people out there waiting for the app i hope!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Really waiting to see this happen! My household has switched to Windows Phone and a Surface Tablet in recent years and now we are forced to keep our old, slow Android phone charged to control our Sonos devices.

Also using the Phonos app which is great since it allows us to control Sonos with our Windows Phone, but it lacks functionality compared to the real deal.
Badge