Support Spotify Connect to allow users to use the Spotify app as the controller.

• 3 September 2013
  • 366 replies

Userlevel 3
Spotify Connect was just announced and I was surprised that I didn't see Sonos in the list of companies that would provide support. Many Spotify users have been asking for a long time to be able to use the Spotify app as the controller for selecting songs, as it provides a superior experience (you still can't even see the Top 5 songs in the Spotify view within the Sonos app, and it is difficult to look through an artist's collection to find a specific song unless you know which album it was in). Please support spotify connect. Additional details on Spotify Connect are here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4688166/spotify-connect-launches-to-stream-music-to-compatible-speakers If you look at the post on theverge, even the first comment was one asking for Sonos support for the feature.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

366 replies

Yea go ahead and delete my post.
this companie is a JOKE
Badge +18
Yea go ahead and delete my post.
this companie is a JOKE

We moderate out profane posts, such as yours.  Please refrain from using profane language in the future.
Userlevel 1
Lack of Spotify Connect is becoming a deal breaker for further Sonos investment. Even with recent updates, the Sonos interface to Spotify is primitive. Sonos needs to get over themselves and make this happen.
Sonos, you are not there alone anymore, in the world of wireless music.

Please add the possibility to play from Spotify connect
From my point of view it is really frustrating to use Spotify with Sonos. Not only that my Spotify playlists almost never are displayed correctly in the Sonos App, the Sonos App lacks almost all cool discovery features. I thought Sonos sells hardware and not software so why not integrating Spotify Connect ? But more frustrating than anything else is the way Sonos communicates with their customers. No communication. Offering Ask Sonos but no details about plans so far. Yeah go ahead this way. I have absolutely no problem with selling my Sonos speakers and replacing them with an other solution. I already quit recommending Sonos to friends and family month ago.
From my point of view it is really frustrating to use Spotify with Sonos. Not only that my Spotify playlists almost never are displayed correctly in the Sonos App, the Sonos App lacks almost all cool discovery features. I thought Sonos sells hardware and not software so why not integrating Spotify Connect ? But more frustrating than anything else is the way Sonos communicates with their customers. No communication. Offering Ask Sonos but no details about plans so far. Yeah go ahead this way. I have absolutely no problem with selling my Sonos speakers and replacing them with an other solution. I already quit recommending Sonos to friends and family month ago.
"But more frustrating than anything else is the way Sonos communicates with their customers. No communication. Offering Ask Sonos but no details about plans so far."

I'm pretty sure the 'Not Planned" status on this thread fully communicates Sonos' "plans so far" for this feature.  I'm not sure how much more detail you wish beyond "We are not planning to support Spotify Connect".
Badge +18
Hi everyone, we appreciate the request for an update to the thread, it’s been too long since our last post here.  

As everyone following this conversation already knows, the decision has been made not to implement Spotify Connect. Like many such decisions, it’s complex, and we don’t want to go into the details.  To put it simply, we don’t see Spotify Connect as the right solution for Sonos at this time.

If you’re new to Sonos, you might not be aware that Spotify was launched on Sonos in 2010, and at the time was the first home hardware partnership for Spotify.  We’re focusing our efforts on this existing integration, and began with improvements to stability under high usage following the holiday outages.  

Our vision is to bring the Spotify-Sonos experience much closer to the experience you have when using the native Spotify app.  It’s going to take time, but work is in progress by both partners.  We’ll keep you posted.
Hi everyone, we appreciate the request for an update to the thread, it’s been too long since our last post here.  

As everyone following this conversation already knows, the decision has been made not to implement Spotify Connect. Like many such decisions, it’s complex, and we don’t want to go into the details.  To put it simply, we don’t see Spotify Connect as the right solution for Sonos at this time.

If you’re new to Sonos, you might not be aware that Spotify was launched on Sonos in 2010, and at the time was the first home hardware partnership for Spotify.  We’re focusing our efforts on this existing integration, and began with improvements to stability under high usage following the holiday outages.  

Our vision is to bring the Spotify-Sonos experience much closer to the experience you have when using the native Spotify app.  It’s going to take time, but work is in progress by both partners.  We’ll keep you posted.

This is good to hear. Lack of Spotify Radio and other ease of use features in the Spotify app is certainly something that needs to be remedied. While you are at, please add Amazon Prime support to the Amazon Music service on Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

John - thanks for the update.  Making the best features of Spotify available on Sonos is the goal (Radio, Your Music, all Playlists..).  How you acheive that, I dont mind - via Spotify Connect or via the Sonos app.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Dong get suckered Into thinking Sonos will get anywhere near to the native app. If the Sonos vision is to "bring the Sonos - Spotify experience closer to... the native Spotify app" then they could simply implement Spotify Connect and immediately achieve this, saving themselves - and their customers - protracted frustration. I'm guessing that commercial politics and pride are the obstacles., so I'm not surprised they don't want to talk about it any more. Now, Sonos, how's that implementation of Spotify's Your Music and Radio functionality that was released a couple of years ago coming on?.... I'm learning to live with Sonos and its foibles. When these are out of mind - and ears - I truly appreciate the sound Sonos provides and the flexibility of its wireless setup. I lash out in these forums as much as the most disgruntled customer but I can't see me exchanging them just yet. I want more but expect nothing else to come so far as Spotify is concerned. I'm resigned to using two apps with limited integration, and try to focus on the music. My vision is to achieve a zen-like state where I am no longer frustrated with the clearly soured Sonos - Spotify relationship!
You're wasting your time and resources Sonos. I have one Play:1 and it will be my last Sonos device without the company changing its stance on more fluid integration with popular technologies. The insistence on reinventing the wheel by duplicating an apps functionality just isn't smart business sense. 
Userlevel 1

I don't see why Sonos has to try reinventing the wheel here...bringing the best features of Spotify to the Sonos app just means more work for you and me.
Why not just simply implement the Spotify Connect option like every other company and be done with it.
I like the Spotify app and I use it all the time...when I'm home & when I'm out. Why should I have to switch to a different app just to use one speaker in my house.
Further to this John M, I appreciate your reasoning behind this choice may be complex, but I would like you to go into details. Your short answer is nowhere near informative enough to make me trust Sonos any more and for the simple lack of a useful Spotify connection I'm seriously thinking of moving away from Sonos, rather than expanding my system.
It's a poor way to lose customers if you ask me.
Thank for the tip.
I've just done the same. Will try Google play for free for the next 30 days and I'll decide
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Denon just ran a promotion to Spotify premium customers to buy a Heos 3 for only $99.
see http://www.cnet.com/news/denon-and-spotify-announce-heos-3-for-99/ and https://spotify.denon.com/heospromo/index

It was supposed to run until 17 March but they already sold out so goes to show how popular this request is.  Sadly the offer did not extend to europe or I would have snapped one up too.

I dont get this decision - waiting for Spotify to extend their API could take years but Spotify Connect is available today.  I also dont see why "we don’t see Spotify Connect as the right solution for Sonos at this time" when they already implemented something very similar with Google with direct access from the Google Play app on Android (with the same limitations)

Ive contacted Denon to see if they will run a similar promotion in Europe/UK as Im getting fed up with waiting.  An added bonus is they will support Google Cast also in future (another thing Sonos wont give any clarification on)

Like many such decisions, it’s complex, and we don’t want to go into the details.
Lack of detail is fine, but a summary would be lovely.
Userlevel 3

This would be easier to take if those updates to the sonos app would be clearer. Is there a time path? Are there plans for certain functionalities?

If we would see a "planned features" list even, that would kinda make sense, and maybe make it feel less like an empty promise. I'm sure you're working hard, but could you show us _what_ you are working on?
Nice job.  As an aside, Windows phone app idea is known to have been flooded by people who do not and never will own Sonos, sent here via a campaign on various Windows fan sites.  It's not hard to Google the call to arms.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Nice job.  As an aside, Windows phone app idea is known to have been flooded by people who do not and never will own Sonos, sent here via a campaign on various Windows fan sites.  It's not hard to Google the call to arms.
Thats a great point Jgatie. For a company like Sonos the only data that's really usable for a decision making process is from verified contacts to their support center and / or community engagement where a Trouble Ticket was created by the support staff with verifiable cause and resolution information.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
There is certainly plenty of ambiguity and overlap that none of us can conclusively answer. Honestly, most users don't care about strategy or operational considerations as they just want their product to "work".
Like anything else, I'm sure Sonos' decision on the Windows controller had more to do with market saturation than any campaign by Windows fans to flood the thread with 'likes'.  As soon as the number of users hit critical mass, the trigger was pulled.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
There is an interesting thread on github where a developer quotes from a chat with a Spotify Connect developer:

On 10 May 2014 18:25, "Stein Magnus Jodal" <notifications@github.com> wrote:

I recently asked a couple of Spotify engineers about Spotify Connect, with especial focus on part three: Controlling mopidy through a spotify client as if it were just another "smart" speaker/amp.

This is what I learned
  • The playing device (e.g. Mopidy) streams music directly from Spotify's servers.
  • The controlling device (Spotify app on your phone) may be removed and the music will continue playing
  • Spotify Connect is entirely custom. It has nothing to do with UPnP/DLNA, Qualcomm Allplay, Chromecast's DIAL, or similar
  • Control is done through Spotify's servers, not directly over your local network
  • There no special hardware required
  • Eventually there will be a public SDK for Connect functionality
  • Currently this SDK is only being distributed to Spotify Partners 
  • Reverse engineering the protocol is supposedly quite hard, so we're recommended to sit tight waiting for the SDK.
https://github.com/mopidy/mopidy-spotify/issues/14

As Spotify didn't announce Sonos as partner for Connect, Sonos obviously can't integrate it for now.
Sonos isn't a partner because they didn't want to integrate it. 
Userlevel 2
Just to add my voice. I currently have 5 sonos products. I use them exclusively with spotify. I am planning to sell them on ebay and move to another speaker system that supports spotify connect. 
I have a Sonos Playbar and a Sonos Play 1. I like them, especially the Playbar for its sound. But I too are a Spotify user and the "support" for Spotify in the Sonos software is nothing but a joke. So because of that and because I dont like companies that apparently dont care about what their customers want and need, Im planning to sell the Sonos gear and buy something that do support Spotify Connect.

No John, this answer is not what this community needs. Sorry to disappoint you, but we are expecting more from SONOS.

Try to listen to your users needs and solve their problems delivering value.

Currently, You're only delivering headaches instead of the best experience ever.

Spotify & Sonos are not so close anymore: http://spotifygear.com/

It's been years since the Spotify-SONOS experience doesn't evolve. So faith is not keeping us anymore. 

Please give us a timeline and specify your priority list for user experience improvement.

We invest in you and we don't see any commitment from your side, but neutral answers. 

We need your commitment. SONOS is nothing without the commitment of its users, so I'm not asking for something your users haven't gave your already.

Please, stop this kind of messages that doesn't say anything at all in the end.