Support Spotify Connect to allow users to use the Spotify app as the controller.

• 3 September 2013
  • 366 replies

Userlevel 3
Spotify Connect was just announced and I was surprised that I didn't see Sonos in the list of companies that would provide support. Many Spotify users have been asking for a long time to be able to use the Spotify app as the controller for selecting songs, as it provides a superior experience (you still can't even see the Top 5 songs in the Spotify view within the Sonos app, and it is difficult to look through an artist's collection to find a specific song unless you know which album it was in). Please support spotify connect. Additional details on Spotify Connect are here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4688166/spotify-connect-launches-to-stream-music-to-compatible-speakers If you look at the post on theverge, even the first comment was one asking for Sonos support for the feature.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

366 replies

Same attitude as with Windows 8 / Phone 8 app. Simply ignore the customers. I bought 2xSonos Play:5 uniquely to listen to Spotify, with the intention to buy 4 more to cover my house. Sonos controller for Spotify has not evolved and apparently will not evolve anymore. Other makers are rapidly catching up on Sonos build/sound quality but will offer Spotify Connect. In my case the choice is quickly made. I am not hanging around until it pleases Sonos to communicate or adapt. Watch eBay for a pair of Sonos Play:5.
Just bought my sonos play:3 and sadly only just found this post. I can understand the guys at sonos having their own app, but if its branded as compatible with spotify and doesn't allow the full range of features (especially radio) then that simply misleading advertisement. Luckily the place I bought it from gives full refunds. It's back box already and I'll be getting my money back and swapping it for a different brand tomorrow. Sorry Sonos, you looked great and roped me in, but not providing a competitive offering isn't going to bode well for your future.
I can't believe this feature is not even being considered by the sonos team. It would be so simple to add it... I bought two play:5 and a SUB. But as of this moment, i will stop any future sonos device purchases until this gets resolved. If it's not resolved in a reasonable time frame, i will definitely sell all my sonos systems and buy the really new stuff that other companies are going to release. SONOS: This is not the way you treat all your current loyal customers... and of course the lack of new features like SPOTIFY CONNECT will NOT attract any new customers. I bought sonos products in the past because they were the best at the moment... but your arrogant way to tell your customers that your controller is "the best" will make all SONOS devices an inferior product (compared to the competition) very, very soon. Of course you could change your mind and be the very first company to bring SPOTIFY CONNECT to the public.
I cannot believe how difficult Sonos makes it to discover new music. They claim that these devices give you all the music in the world at your fingertips, but apparently you have to be familiar with all the music in the world before you can play it through Sonos. I can't believe I wasted so much money on a speaker. There go my plans to fill my house with Sonos. I guess I'm in the market for a good set of computer speakers now.
Samsung and Bose have both announced new speakers that will compete with Sonos. The specs of both brands show to be more flexible in the different ways that music can be broadcast to the speakers in comparison to Sonos. Samsung single speaker configuration allows you to listen to music via Bluetooth and NFC configuration. A hub configuration is also available if multiple speakers are purchased. Should Sonos be worried? How about the technology used by all 3 brands...which one is better/more reliable for clear/clean/uninterrupted music? Your thoughts?
Interestingly it sounds like this is a decision by Sonos not to participate. Not Spotify not allowing Sonos to participate. I'm referring to the recent announcements from the Sonos Sales Director. Please can Sonos correct my miss understanding or confirm correct.
After purchasing Sonos players both for myself and family members during the last year, I am now stopping our planned Sonos-extensions. Given Sonos-CEO John MacFarlane's clear statement that Spotify Connect will not be supported by Sonos, we can not invest further in Sonos equipment. Spotify is the most important part of our music experience, and Spotify app features such as Spotify radio and search across titles, artists and albums are both useful and well implemented. Given the availability of Spotify Connect, I'm afraid support for this is essential for our future purchases.
After purchasing Sonos players both for myself and family members during the last year, I am now stopping our planned Sonos-extensions. Given Sonos-CEO John MacFarlane's clear statement that Spotify Connect will not be supported by Sonos, we can not invest further in Sonos equipment. Spotify is the most important part of our music experience, and Spotify app features such as Spotify radio and search across titles, artists and albums are both useful and well implemented. Given the availability of Spotify Connect, I'm afraid support for this is essential for our future purchases.
I am confused. In China the QQ Audio Service App (Chinese Spotify Competitor) offers "Play on Sonos" as option. This is SpotifyConnect-like. Now the guy said he DOES NOT want to join SpotifyConnect, however given the chinese example he offers a "play on Sonos" Button (as other sources say as part of an open API) that apps can integrate. So Spotify offered the "Beam on Sonos" (aka SpotifyConnect) which is controlled by the Streaming Service Providers and Sonos says no. Now Sonos comes up with a "Play on Sonos" Button to offer the Streaming Service Providers for the same fuc*ing functionality. Srsly, this is insane. Just childish and stupid. Of course Spotify will say NO, as they would allow an inhouse competitor to their own Standard SpotifyConnect. Simply Bose, Yamaha, Pioneer, Teufel etc. could have come up with their own Play on XYZ APIs but there is a defined standard from Spotify. So for what reason should spotify now allow Sonos to have that button inside their app? There is none. I mean just re-apply this to another world: Mobile Networks. T-Mobile offers Nokia the chance to be early adopter for the LTE Standard. Nokia denies but Apple, Samsung, HTC and the rest of the crowd joins in. Nokia feels like their are missing a competitive advantage and comes with their own standard. Let's call it HSN. With lots of money you will find a provider in a country that is willing to invest and test and showcase that. However, majority of users will never have that expierence and the standard is none. More examples? Apple Maps, tomtom, MiniDisc, Quicktime, Flash Player, HD-DVD. You are all right to sell your sonos equipment as long as you still get some bucks for it and the big crowd doesn't realize the difference. In a year from today you will have outdated dinosaurs at home with a non-accepted standard that some minor streaming services like juke.fm will support. It's like the UMTS standard is on knocking on the door and we know that all we can do with our phones is core functionality of talking while everyone will ask for the full package with high speed internet. Sonos is right to say that we can use it, but the expierence will just not be giving us the Geek Factor and advantage to have a TOP device. Its just somehow working with basic features. Fail of the century, guys. Be happy you are not on Nasdaq, you would be a penny stock in less than week.
Yes, there is: http://gigaom.com/2013/10/14/sonos-releases-new-200-speaker-ceo-dismisses-spotifys-connect-speaker-partnerships/
Hi folks, There's not much to say at the moment but we'd like everyone to understand where we're coming regarding the announcement from Spotify. Sonos is a platform for music lovers and we want Sonos customers to enjoy all the music on earth from whatever source they choose. We have an excellent partnership with Spotify which is, and will continue to be, an important part of many of our customers music listening experience on Sonos. Thanks for your continued support.
I agree with Ryan here. I think this feature would be really essential. I see a high risk of scaring customers off by not implementing Spotify Connect into Sonos. I speak for myself right now, but I'm asking myself why I should spend so much money for a product that doesn't keep up with the technological advance?! For me it's really simple... Sonos is not implementing this feature, I'll look elsewhere for hardware that already does support it. Because it seems like the easiest way to listen to music in multiple rooms. And as a matter of fact, that's the only reason I bought a Play 5 and a Play 3. I've just had enough of experimenting with Raspberry Pi and getting disappointing results. Your product is really good. Why not make it excellent by implementing Spotify Connect?!
Userlevel 1
Because of the reliable hardware, I also planned to extend my Sonos system (currently a Connect for my HiFi systemen and an S5). But after reading this I really start to doubt. When listening to Sonos I listen for 80% to Spotify, 15% music from my NAS device and only 5% streaming radio. There are two things that annoy me about Sonos and Spotify. First the frequent outages of the Spotify - Sonos connection, totday already 48 hours dead! The companies always point to each other, but never take responsibility for this mess. 2nd, the inability to use the Spotify features using the Sonos App, or otherwise the inability to control Sonos using the Spotify App. For me Sonos is just a streamer, I even use a separate Arcam DAC. The Spotify software is much more user friendly, and really serves as a music explorer in which you can discover new music and that’s what I like about this service and Sonos is just the hardware I use to listen! The Sonos control app didn’t make any significant improvement in the past few years, this unlike Spotify! If this battle between Sonos and Spotify continues, I will switch to a Spotify friendly device. Three years ago I have chosen for Sonos above a Marantz streamer, for that reason!. My hardware is 3 years old now and replacing the streamer only for my living room is not that costly. It is highly frustrating when my music evening is spoiled by connection problems. First I start looking for problems in my own network, resetting switches and routers, checking cables, does streaming radio work, does Spotify on my iPad work etc… and until know, in the past three years I am using this combo, it was always the Sonos – Spotify connection and never my own system or the internet provider. So keep in mind, I want a quality music experience and not being a victim of a marketing war! So count your blessings.
Fix this.
What are the alternatives to Sonos? I'd love something that DOES work with the Spotify app on iPad.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Check out this article for some more details: gizmodo.com/spotify-connect-sonos-like-powers-that-bend-to-your-bu-1228510223 It's essential for SONOS to add, else they will be blasted away by competition. I expect it be in the beta of SONOS very soon, and to have them as primary adoptor. Else the brand is dead :)
Sounds like the last comments might be from SONOS employees. I agree with Nicao, there are too many good competitors out there for SONOS not to take substantial heat here. I just bought my first SONOS Speakers, but will NOT be cornered into their ecosystem. If you love your customers, SONOS, act like it.
Hi folks, There's not much to say at the moment but we'd like everyone to understand where we're coming regarding the announcement from Spotify. Sonos is a platform for music lovers and we want Sonos customers to enjoy all the music on earth from whatever source they choose. We have an excellent partnership with Spotify which is, and will continue to be, an important part of many of our customers music listening experience on Sonos. Thanks for your continued support.
I use Spotify to create playlists and then Sonos to play them around the house. That is my solution to the relatively poor integration of Spotify into Sonos. Surely you're saving yourself a load of work by getting Spotify to integrate Sonos properly into its platform rather than the other way around?
Meanwhile, in the real world, Spotify launched the system with Pioneer as Launch Partner
Just a few days ago a microsite went live where you can see what alternatives to buy to get rid of your non-supported SONOS devices

https://www.spotify.com/connect/
I was very close to buying two Sonos Play 1s in the past few days and was shocked to find out that Sonos does not support Spotify Radio. Because of this I will not be buying into the Sonos ecosystem. I shouldn't have to go into a third party app (Sonos) to utilise features (or lack thereof in this case) of music streaming services. The relationship between Sonos and Spotify looks volatile at best and I'll be sticking with Spotify. Until you have more tightly coupled integration with Spotify I won't be investing in Sonos because Sonos is supposed to enable me to listen to my music. I'd be paying enough to not have to come up with workarounds and hacks to utilise features by Spotify to get them working with Sonos.

Please please please support Spotify Connect (and soon!). I imagine it's probably a case of releasing a bridge that has the compatible Connect chip.
Don't force us to use the Sonos app, you should improve the Sonos app to make us want to use it.  Then we won't be asking to play direct from Spotify which offers are much faster and sophisticated solution.

🙂
hear hear
same here!
From my point of view Spotify app has a great UI, Sonos app doesn't... but you can arrange the different rooms and connect other music services. That's it. No more.

Please Sonos, integrate Spotify Connect!
Hey Dude,
I just bought my first Sonos and was planing to expand it. But if I cannot listen to my favorite Spotify radio, I do not see the point.
I feel very disapointed by your advertisement stating that Sonos support Spotify, which is by far exagerated.
Userlevel 1
Has there been any movement on integrating Sonos support into Spotify (via Connect or whatever other means)? The Sonos UI is a pain each and every time that I have to use it. Combined with complete lack of reaction from Sonos, I am just waiting to switch to some other solution the minute Spotify Connect expands to cover more devices...
(different Paul than the one above - but same frustration)
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sonos, I respectfully insist on an update for this. This isn't just a simple request by many of us, but a direct misrepresentation by Sonos. A timeline for your resolution or a true technical reason why this isn't possible should be provided. I invested a good deal of money in my Sonos system and until we receive that update, I will be reaching out to every tech review site through multiple means to explain how Sonos says it's "the best Sonos experience" yet doesn't even meet functional parity. How long has Spotify had Radio? How popular is it? Seriously, your false promises feel like dirty business tactics. I encourage all to share this thread through social media, by emailing examples to tech review sites and write reviews yourself on places like Amazon.com or for the Sonos app in the App Store.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
previously I thought this may be related to some kind of hardware requirement but now that I think about it, it doesnt - I have an Iphone and Ipad which clearly dont have the required chip and they can act as 'Spotify Connect' clients.  Yes, they have the 'Sonos App' installed but whats an app other than a bunch of lines of code running on an operating system.  Since each sonos is effectively a little mini Linux computer Im sure with the tech bods could sort something out.
SOLUTION: I bought a small Century-branded Bluetooth receiver, no larger than a small match box in Akihabara, Tokyo. Plugged it into the line-in port of one of the speakers on my system. Works like a dream.

When I press the Spotify connect sign on my iPod touch it immediately does what I ask it to do. Stereo remains separated over two speakers and all the functionality of Spotify Connect is available.

Ensure that you have enabled the "automatically detect line-in" setting in the SONOS app. After that, you never have to touch the SONOS app again.

Sound quality is great and range, as advertised, some 10 metres. Cost: JPY 1800. Which is next to nothing.

Very happy - frustration gone. In addition, it works also for my Microsoft Surface with Windows 8, another piece of equipment/OS that SONOS does not want to provide an app for.