Support Spotify Connect to allow users to use the Spotify app as the controller.

• 3 September 2013
  • 366 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

366 replies

Actually, Spotify Connect has nothing to do with AIrPlay. It is a separate entity, basically a Spotify specific version of Google Chromecast Audio that is built into the hardware.

Jgatie ... When I click 'Spotify Connect' in the app. I just get the options for AirPlay or Bluetooth or to Play on the iPad ?... See screenshot. It certainly is not a multi-room, multi-speaker option, like the Sonos products that are available via the Sonos Controller.

Ken Griffiths

BoredofBalham,

Is that the top of the range induction hob with the optional line-out for your wife to use to boil the electric kettle? ha ha :-)

It's truly amazing what people expect to get for their money from some of the manufacturers these days eh?

Ken Griffiths
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
so there we have it folks - 2 years on and Spotify Connect is finally coming to Sonos next month :-)
http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/30/sonos-will-soon-let-spotifys-app-control-its-connected-speakers/
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
OK - this is getting silly now.  Bose are now updating the Soundtouch app to support Spotify Connect.  see here http://www.cnet.com/news/bose-unveils-soundtouch-series-ii/

That pretty much leaves Sonos as the ONLY wireless streaming system that doesnt support it.
This is so disappointing.  Before anyone says it - Ive tried all the others (more than once in case things have improved) and Spotify is still the one for me.  As btltez says, the Google Music on IOS is terrible and Im too emdeded with both Apple and Sonos to change either one.

Whats the problem here Sonos ?? - your integration of Spotify sucks for which you blame the Spotify API, fair enough, but Spotify Connect support would solve ALL of these problems.  You would probably get a boatload of new customers and could trumpet the announcement from the rooftops just like EVERYONE else does (Bose, Panasonic, Philips, Denon, Pure, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Polk, Pioneer...)

The 'Not Planned' status stinks of arrogance and stubbornness at the highest level and plays well into the hands of the ever increasing competition.
i cannot understand Why sonos does ont support the Spotify Connect functionnality. It is very frustrating, and i plan to change my existing sonos devices to Something compliant 😞
My sonos is on sale to, just buying a new sound set with spotify connect. I can't understand why they do not integrate spotify connect. i own a shop to and since then sonos is banned out of the store. lots of people is complaining about this.
I have to agree with all the comments, using spotify on sonos is frustrating. It would be phenomenal if I could directly stream to my sonos from spotify apps (including the desktop application!).
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
This Forum is called "Ask Sonos" .... let's hope that they will reply
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hi everyone, we appreciate the request for an update to the thread, it’s been too long since our last post here.  

As everyone following this conversation already knows, the decision has been made not to implement Spotify Connect. Like many such decisions, it’s complex, and we don’t want to go into the details.  To put it simply, we don’t see Spotify Connect as the right solution for Sonos at this time.

If you’re new to Sonos, you might not be aware that Spotify was launched on Sonos in 2010, and at the time was the first home hardware partnership for Spotify.  We’re focusing our efforts on this existing integration, and began with improvements to stability under high usage following the holiday outages.  

Our vision is to bring the Spotify-Sonos experience much closer to the experience you have when using the native Spotify app.  It’s going to take time, but work is in progress by both partners.  We’ll keep you posted.

Dong get suckered Into thinking Sonos will get anywhere near to the native app. If the Sonos vision is to "bring the Sonos - Spotify experience closer to... the native Spotify app" then they could simply implement Spotify Connect and immediately achieve this, saving themselves - and their customers - protracted frustration. I'm guessing that commercial politics and pride are the obstacles., so I'm not surprised they don't want to talk about it any more. Now, Sonos, how's that implementation of Spotify's Your Music and Radio functionality that was released a couple of years ago coming on?.... I'm learning to live with Sonos and its foibles. When these are out of mind - and ears - I truly appreciate the sound Sonos provides and the flexibility of its wireless setup. I lash out in these forums as much as the most disgruntled customer but I can't see me exchanging them just yet. I want more but expect nothing else to come so far as Spotify is concerned. I'm resigned to using two apps with limited integration, and try to focus on the music. My vision is to achieve a zen-like state where I am no longer frustrated with the clearly soured Sonos - Spotify relationship!
It seems that Sonos does not plan to support Spotify Connect. I think that it would be like Apple supporting Windows or Android on their Macs & IPhones, and from a strategic point of view Sonos seems to choose the Apple business model : very high-end expensive hardware, closed model. 

This can of course be a success BUT, IMHO, to be sustainable it would require the following key factors : 
- implementing a very good version of spotify so that the user experience is equal or better than Spotify App.
- lower the price of the Sonos Connect in order to avoid customers going to Gramofon.

If you compare with the Apple business model, think of it as :
- Give the customer the BEST user experience. (Think about MAC OS)
- Allow connectivity with existing material with an affordable device (think of Sonos Connect as a parallel of Airport or Apple TV). 

My 2 cents. If you want to be the best, BE the best.

Jerome, happy SONOS customer du to the huuuge quality of SONOS hardware.
Userlevel 1
One more voice of a frustrated Sonos customer that owns 7 devices purely to stream Spotify across home and office. Yet another great hardware company writing horrible software and sticking to it. I use Sonos to stream music I find on Spotify, not the other way around. I want to interact with Spotify, not with Sonos. Please, stop wasting money on playing software catch-up with a software company - focus on making your hardware superior and accessible to every software interface out there - not writing it yourself.
Badge
Bought a ROCKI for $49, plugged it into the SONOS Line In, now I have both Apple AirPlay and SPOTIFY CONNECT on the SONOS. And Rocki also does DLNA so I can use Windows>Play To command on mp3 files. ROCKI is awesome and makes SONOS awesome. Quick, easy, good times.
I have one Sonos play 1 for about one month now and I think it going to be with that one. They don’t include Spotify Connect and force us to use the Sonos app with is really bad software. The program crashes way to often, the UI is at best mucky and the integration with Spotify is a joke. The only explanation I can understand for not letting us play directly from Spotify is that Sonos is not capable of including the Spotify Connect API. Is there any other reason?
If SPOTIFY values SONOS customers, SPOTIFY could integrate control of a SONOS system in the SPOTIFY App.
Today, on the Spotify website, I saw this, "These devices come with Spotify Connect built right in." When I clicked on the link below it, and scrolled through the list, I saw that Sonos Play 1, 3, and 5, were listed. I'm hoping that it is something that is coming soon. http://spotifygear.com/
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Wow - that is truly exciting news ! Unless it's a mistake on spotify's part but it would be a very serious one ! Let's hope they go for a dual solution because, as pknowq mentioned above, Spotify Connect does not allow for different streams in different rooms. Let's hope Sonos introduce this very soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I couldnt agree more - I dont use my stored music collection any more, just stream from spotify. However I use the Radio feature extensively when using the Spotify app in my car and would love this within the Sonos app - its how I find new and also long since forgotten music. Shame it will never happen now 😞
That would be great! In that case, I could start recommending Sonos to my friends 😉. It has not happened yet though, if I look in my Spotify app.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but if you have an Sonos ipod dock and an old ipod touch, you could theoretically have spotify connect through your sonos system, it would just be a bit slow to move between different zones as you would have to launch the sonos software to change. A work around, but I can see a fix through something similar could be possible, what about a "spotify sonos dongle" that includes the "new" hardware required to use the spotify connect system and link it to your sonos system, opening up the entire thing to spotify's connect architecture and monetizing it for them at the same time!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Forgive me if I am wrong, but if you have an Sonos ipod dock and an old ipod touch, you could theoretically have spotify connect through your sonos system, it would just be a bit slow to move between different zones as you would have to launch the sonos software to change. A work around, but I can see a fix through something similar could be possible, what about a "spotify sonos dongle" that includes the "new" hardware required to use the spotify connect system and link it to your sonos system, opening up the entire thing to spotify's connect architecture and monetizing it for them at the same time!
indeed an ipod via dock or line in is a potential workaround. However you would need to use the Sonos app to adjust volume and groups etc then the spotify app to select and change the music - it would be far better from within one app. a dongle type device would have the same drawbacks but if it had a digital output could be used to 'feed' the sonos system via my Playbar which would improve the sound quality at least 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't think you will ever see Spotify connect. Now Google cast I think is a maybe ...and that gives you same functionality.
Ah, but if the dongle was produced by sonos it could feasibly control the zones as well, whether by add-in to the sonos software or better yet, the spotify side.
after Phillips' announcement last week comes the next one from Pioneer regarding firmware upgrades on existing products to make them 'Spotify Connect compatible' http://asia.cnet.com/spotify-connect-upgrade-for-selected-pioneer-products-62222326.htm so clearly no special 'chip' is required. I doubt very much it is a technological limitation. For whatever reason, Spotify and Sonos cannot/will not reach an agreement for Sonos to do the same. Since Spotify get a premium subscription regardless, I fail to see why they wouldnt allow this.
Confirmation that Spotify Connect requires a chip: "Spotify Connect will launch with ten hardware partners: Argon, Bang & Olufsen, Denon, Hama, Marantz, Philips, Pioneer, Revo, Teufel and Yamaha. Any wireless products from these companies with the appropriate chip inside will now be able to stream music via Spotify, which can be controlled from your smartphone or tablet's Spotify app." http://www.whathifi.com/news/spotify-connect-takes-aim-at-airplay-and-sonos
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Chromecast to input works no different then Spotify connect. Just set input to auto and it will play anytime you cast to chromecast
Please support this (4 play:3, 1 play:5, 1 connect, 1 sub user).