SONOS Playlist - Appearing / Disappearing

• 3 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have been having MAJOR issues since February 2022 related to SONOS Playlist appearing and disappearing from the iPhone APP. I have an open case and have worked with technical support and no resolution has been found. This use to work with S1 hardware but since updating to S2 it has not worked correctly.

When will this be fixed?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I just updated an Amazon Fire HD8 to the latest version of the SONOS app and it appears that the Playlist will properly display on that product.

Fire HD 8 (8th Generation)
Fire OS: 7.3.2.4

SONOS App: Version 14.19

It has been displaying the SONOS playlist correctly thought many SONOS application cycles and Fire HD 8 reboots over the last three hours.

So it’s just the iPhone that’s not displaying the playlists?

Have you tried switching off ‘WiFi calling’ and ‘Private WiFi Address’ in the iOS settings. Also switch off/disable any security Apps, firewall/vpn etc; and reboot all your Sonos speakers. 

See if those few things might resolve the issue. If not, then consider a Sonos App reset ‘Settings/App Preferences’ and on reopening the App, follow the instructions and connect it back to the ‘existing’ Sonos system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The iOS playlist display problem has been around for a surprisingly long amount of time. Suggest using SonoPhone if you want a reliable playlist list.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thanks for the reply. I will take another look at SonosPhone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Is there any update on the Playlist issue? I am to the point where I will start looking for a replacement to SONOS. The spouse factor has gone to zero as the Playlist was one of the features that she liked the most.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Same issue here. I updated from S1 to S2 two days ago and my Sonos Playlists don’t display on My Sonos. Other app playlists appear (like a Spotify Playlist) but not Sonos Playlists. I have to click the Playlists link and they will all appear there but not on My Sonos. I use an iPhone and an iPad. This affects both devices. This happens 90% of the time when I open the S2 app. This didn’t not happen in S1. 

Using an iPad and iPhone I often experience missing Sonos Playlists. Usually it is fixed by going to System - System Updates the choose Check for updates. Irrespective of whether there are any updates the refresh causes the app to generally find the Sonos Playlists.

Playlists are stored on the speakers, not in the controller. If a playlist is missing, there’s a really good chance that, at least temporarily, your controller isn’t able to reach your speakers to grab the data. Certainly the “check for updates” process will force a new connection to the speaker to get the version of firmware it’s running, but there’s other potential things that might be done to resolve that situation in a more permanent manner.

I’d at the least start with a network refresh. Unplug all your Sonos hardware, and reboot the router. Give the router a couple of minutes to finish coming back up, then plug in your Sonos hardware. 

Note: If this process works, I’d highly suggest that you check your router’s manual for instructions on how to set up “reserved” IP addresses, nominally for your Sonos devices, but ultimately for everything in your home. No matter how the router got “messed up” in the DHCP table, if it’s happened once, it can happen again. 

However, if this doesn’t “fix” the issue, before you run that “check for updates” function, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, Then run that “check for updates” process, and run a second diagnostic, and call Sonos Support with both diagnostic numbers, to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostics that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Playlists are stored on the speakers, not in the controller. If a playlist is missing, there’s a really good chance that, at least temporarily, your controller isn’t able to reach your speakers to grab the data. Certainly the “check for updates” process will force a new connection to the speaker to get the version of firmware it’s running, but there’s other potential things that might be done to resolve that situation in a more permanent manner.. 

Not this time, its an iOS-specific app bug that has been around for too long. If I had to guess I’d say it is related to the near-simultaneous async calls that “My Sonos” makes to get the Favorites and the Playlists.