Answered

Sonos music library and Windows 11

• 23 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Since I switched to Windows 11 I can't add folders to my music Library settins. I'm trying to add a music folder that's on my internal hardrive and I keep getting the message "Sonos was unable to add the music folder, Reason: The computer "DELLPC" refused to let Sonos connect to it.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 24 January 2023, 11:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @KRMart 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The most common cause of this issue is Windows thinking your network connection is to a public network, which means it ignores attempted connections from local devices.

Please ensure that Windows thinks your local network is a private one:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-a-wi-fi-network-public-or-private-in-windows-0460117d-8d3e-a7ac-f003-7a0da607448d#WindowsVersion=Windows_11 (the steps for ethernet are very similar)

This usually means the Sonos app can’t connect to your system, however, so there may be something else wrong. Are you adding the share using the Windows app or the smartphone app? If using the Windows app, it may help to uninstall and then reinstall the app - the download can be found here. If using the smartphone app, please try with the Windows app - it’s generally a lot easier.

Unfortunately, there can be some more complicated reasons (file permissions, firewalls and password-protected sharing, if you want to get your hands dirty) as to what the problem is. If you still can’t add your music library, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, and to assist via a remote connection to your computer.

I hope this helps.