Answered

Sonos and "Tidal Connect"

• 27 April 2023
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I use Tidal in iOS and want to stream it to my Sonos gear by using the “Tidal Connect” protocol.

I know I can stream Tidal to my Sonos Port by using Airplay or Sonos Connect. I know I can use the Sonos app to select Tidal as a music service. My question is about the streaming protocal “Tidal Connect” (https://tidal.com/connect), already added by many high-level streamign boxes.

“Tidal Connect” shows in Tidal app like this:

“Sonos Connect” shows un Tidal app like this:

Are there plans by Sonos to add support for “Tidal Connect” streaming protocol on their products? “Tidal Connect” opens the box to stream high quality audio, and all main competitors of Sonos have added it since long time.

Thanks,

Toni

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 28 April 2023, 18:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Please can someone explain what in detail are the quality data of…

1. Tidal direct control on Sonos?
  2. Tidal connect on supported devices?

Up to now I thought Tidal connect would at least support 16bit 44,1 CD quality on Sonos.

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/services/tidal

“Stream CD quality audio (up to 16-bit, 44.1 kHz)”

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Please can someone explain what in detail are the quality data of…

1. Tidal direct control on Sonos?
  2. Tidal connect on supported devices?

Up to now I thought Tidal connect would at least support 16bit 44,1 CD quality on Sonos.

Userlevel 1

I would also love to see a native integration between Tidal and Sonor for higher quality, so I can leave Spotify. OR wait for Spotify HIFi…

Badge +3

Sad to see this isn’t there.

For me it won’t affect my use/purchase of Sonos devices, but it DOES mean I DO NOT subscribe to TIDAL, and stick with SPOTIFY.

So pushing tidal is probably the best…

I’d LOVE to see this though… 

Are there any bridge solutions, hardware or software, available? Something that accepts TIDAL apps via TIDAL Connect and then passes the audio to Sonos via the certified protocol.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Jamie. Just that anyone gets confused, this is not something to be implemented just by Tidal. Tidal app can not instruct alone my Sonos Port to announce itself as a Tidal Connect destination.

This as a technical and contractual agreement between Sonos and Tidal, for which I undestand we have zero visibility about when (if) it would ever happen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @ToniL,

I don’t use Tidal myself, so after discussing with a colleague we both had assumed Tidal Connect was similar to Spotify Connect, where it was a simple streaming feature as the steps on the Tidal Connect page on connecting a device are the same steps for Sonos devices.

However Sonos doesn’t manage the integrations of other music service features, this is something that Tidal themselves would have to. I’m sure many Tidal users would love this feature to be part of Sonos. 

I’m not sure exactly how this would work but, seeing as we already support casting from the Tidal app to Sonos speakers, it should be possible to integrate Tidal Connect as you have described, though again this would be up to Tidal.

I’d recommend reaching out to Tidal and letting them know you’d like this feature to work with Sonos as well.

Userlevel 1

Thanks again Jaimie, but the way you can cast from Tidal to Sonos gear is not Tidal Connect, is pure Sonos Cast at low resolution.

Sure you can cast directly from Tidal to Sonos, but you are not using Tidal Connect protocol. Tidal Connect is much more than that. On the same page you link (https://tidal.com/supported-devices), filter by “Tidal Connect” and you will see that Sonos is not displayed.

Sonos does not support Tidal Connect. What I am asking is about future plans from Sonos to support something that is on the market since some years now and that Bluesound (probably your main competitor) supports without any trouble.

Thanks again,

Toni

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @ToniL,

Tidal lists on their support devices webpage that you can play directly from the Tidal App, which you can see in the screenshot below. I also double-checked with a colleague and they were able to use the Tidal Connect feature to cast to their Sonos speakers.

If this feature isn’t working for you, then I’d definitely recommend following the steps in my previous post by making sure everything is up to date. Certain features may not work correctly if everything isn’t up to date, so checking that would be the first step.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 1

Thanks Jamie, but as of now Sonos does not support Tidal Connect. Sonos supports playing something from Tidal, which is totally different.

From Tidal web, the brands that support Tidal Connect are

Tidal Connect is casting from Tidal app to Sonos gear (similar to Spotify Connect) using the Tidal protooll, which is totally different to using the Sonos as you propose.

So my quesion is: are there any plans for Sonos to actally support Tidal Connect?

Thanks,

Toni

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @ToniL, welcome to the Sonos Community!

From looking into our music services, we support Tidal Connect on Sonos. You can view all the music services that support direct control from this support article.

If it isn’t working for you, then I’d suggest making sure your controller, Sonos app, and Tidal app are all running the latest versions. If everything is up to date, then try re-authorizing the Tidal Service in the Sonos app by heading to Settings → Services & Voice → Tidal → Reauthorize Account.

Once you’ve done the above, reboot your network, Sonos system, and controller in that order and try to use Tidal Connect to cast from the Tidal app to your system.

If you’re still having issue using Tidal Connect, then please reach out to our support team as they have the necessary tools available to troubleshoot this with you.

I hope this helps!