Restrict access to certain zones

• 1 September 2012
  • 195 replies

Userlevel 2
There should be a way to restrict access to certain zones or allow control of certain zones from a specific controller. This is very important when you have children or have guests staying to stop inadvertent or deliberate changing of zone settings.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

195 replies

I'm the proud new owner of 2 x Sonos Play:1 units, but I can't believe this feature isn't built-in as standard...
We just invested in 4 connects and a couple of boosts to the company - and the second day in we have a big mess with the playlists - everyone on the network just connected and decided to play their songs everywhere. When are you going to implement a feature for this? Please...
how is this 3 year old idea not getting addressed??? I was sold on Sonos as a mature superior software product yet this is as basic as it gets?? Some sort of master admin control, user profiles granting zones and privilege control levels. Also where is the user profile for content control, multiple accounts for the same service, etc... Sonos seems to be ignoring the most basic features??
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I just can't believe this is not adressed, I've been rooting for this for years, it must be 3 days of programming, tops.

The least they could do is explain WHY this is not adressed.
My house is filled with Sonos products, and as you all are saying, zone access restriction is a MUST feature - so please Sonos programmers - add this feature as soon as possible. Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do not foresee this at the top of their priority list. From comments we normally see from Sonos they don't like adding user definable restrictions. I think we would see permanent grouping of zones before we see any type of zone/feature restriction ability. Not that I'm against it - frankly I have many times said one of the features I would like to most see is a party mode (particularly restricted features). But I just don't foresee it anytime soon. It just goes against a lot of their minimalistic design philosophy they have stated (miniaml check boxes, user definable options). Hopefully at some point that philosophy changes.
Absolutely! I use sonos in my restaurant/cafe, and we also allow customers to use our wifi network. Short of installing a whole second wireless setup, it basically means that anyone who notices we use sonos can change the music, volume, queue etc at will. Fortunately very few have cottoned on to this, and the most we've had is some regulars adding fairly appropriate tracks here and there, but it's only a matter of time before some pleasant pre-dinner cocktails are interrupted by top volume death metal...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would definitely setup a guest wifi network. Most new routers include
I'm 100% agreed restriction should be an option
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS EVER HAPPENED ???
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No there are no restrictions on zones. It has never been announced as an upcoming feature either.
Any chance something has changed and this is on the horizon.

I have 4 family members and 5 Sonos stations. Music is being changed in common areas faster than any of us would like.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No news. Sonos has never commented if it is ever in this plans.
New to Sonos fist post

This addition would make me buy more Sonos's to, my collection as I would put in my kids rooms
I completely agree with the idea of being able to lock down some zones from some users, either permanently as parental controls or during parties.
Badge
Ryan, thanks for the idea. I've merged it with this existing topic.

Dear Sonos,

I have recently purchased Sonos systems but am very dissapointed to see customers have been requesting this very important feature for literally years, but Sonos has basically ignored it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ryan, thanks for the idea. I've merged it with this existing topic.

Dear Sonos,

I have recently purchased Sonos systems but am very dissapointed to see customers have been requesting this very important feature for literally years, but Sonos has basically ignored it!

Sorry, but if this feature was so important to you why didn't you check it out BEFORE you purchased your system?
Badge
Any news on authorization to the Sonos system?
I could imagine it isn't trivial, since the whole system is very (totally) open. They would have to close down not only the apps, but also all the http commands, adding some kind of authentication 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
How would this work with voice commands? The new next best thing since the last best thing, Alexa, is demanded as a control point. How on earth would you PIN or otherwise that?
Userlevel 2
I would love this feature of limiting the zones used as well! I have a youngster who I would like to keep from acidently using or turning of my art studio's zone when she's using her room zone.
So we are going on 5 years now and we still dont have any way to restrict or password protect the system. I know the SONOS team reads the threads i guess they dont care about their customers needs/wants ? Can we get any kind of update? is this something that you are even looking into ? or can you please just tell us that it's something you are not planning on implementing so we can stop hoping and wishing for it?

Or you could stick to radio silence, that always works...
So we are going on 5 years now and we still dont have any way to restrict or password protect the system. I know the SONOS team reads the threads i guess they dont care about their customers needs/wants ? Can we get any kind of update? is this something that you are even looking into ? or can you please just tell us that it's something you are not planning on implementing so we can stop hoping and wishing for it?

I agree 100% on the above. For a company that has been around as long as you have you'd think you would listen more to its consumers. This would greatly increase the usability of this product if you could lock it down to just certain accounts or certain passcodes that allowed full access or limited access..

It's not something they're looking at, the CEO said as much in an interview a couple of years ago, they feel it would make the potential for confusion too likely. What would people do if they forgot the password and couldn't play music on half their zones?

I agree 100% on the above. For a company that has been around as long as you have you'd think you would listen more to its consumers. This would greatly increase the usability of this product if you could lock it down to just certain accounts or certain passcodes that allowed full access or limited access..

Surely the whole point is to DECREASE the usability?

Surely the whole point is to DECREASE the usability?

Decrease the usability for unauthorized access....YES!