Restrict access to certain zones

• 1 September 2012
  • 195 replies

Userlevel 2
There should be a way to restrict access to certain zones or allow control of certain zones from a specific controller. This is very important when you have children or have guests staying to stop inadvertent or deliberate changing of zone settings.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

195 replies

Userlevel 2
I just tried this now. I emailed the CEO saying that besides the fact that the feature is wanted/needed, the importance of answering unhappy customers is even more important.
email ceo@sonos.com

it's on their website and they clearly say to ask the ceo in case we need something. i hope you guys do it too. the more he reads about it (if actually the ceo gets those mails), maybe he will kick some butt. At this point i'm more unhappy about the ignorant way the PR guys treat the customers than about their engineers who obviously just play xbox at work
I have recently joined the SONOS community and have to say that, although I'm generally very pleased with the system and look forward to being able to expend my setup, it came as a surprise and somewhat of a disappointment that there is currently no ability control security and user access to enforce even basic user/zone restrictions.

It seems that many others in this and similar forums share the same view. Initial postings I've seen on the subject go back as far as 2005. Well, it's 2014 now (nine years later) with ALL kinds of technology available to provide this much sought after feature, however the very same topic is still active, and very much alive, with no apparent commitment from SONOS to address the issue head on. Many supporters of this awesome hardware platform have already laid out some serious cash on their systems and, no doubt, many more (of which I am one) wish to do the same but are holding back until some meaningful form of user/controller/zone restrictions are implemented. I hate to say it, but if other hardware vendors are going to offer this feature, the outcome will be quite obvious and unfortunate.

SONOS, please pledge your undertaking to make this basic security feature a priority in your new and existing systems and rollout a much needed update.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Hello Sonos Community

I 'm really disappointed with the Sonos Support!
On this topic and many other good ideas we have to wait always very long for news (good or bad) and simple Informations. A good support should speak with the community, regardless of whether there is only little progress in each subject. But dont wait more than 2 months für a status update!
Therefor:
Sonos speak with us!!!

I'm living in a living communitiy with 6 other guys (all are working in a company). We have a big house with 3 floors, one kitchen, a living room and a couple of bathrooms. At this time I installed Sonos only in my room. This system is great but I wont install more speakers!
With no restricting access there is a possibility, when drunken friends come back home from party, they can awake me with my sonos speakers (loud music). For this guys it's funny, but not for me....
so i'm waiting (but not forever!) for good news or any news here, to expand my sonos system.

Also i work as a homeautomation technician, where i'm looking for a good multiroom system. But without this specific feature (and bad support) I don't recommend your system our customers, I'd like to do it but......

as Rowan already said:
SONOS, please pledge your undertaking to make this basic security feature a priority in your new and existing systems and rollout a much needed update.
And please, improve your support!

with best regards
We have just installed two speakers at work and how I wish i had not done so.

I am at the point now of completely removing them due to endless tampering by anyone with an Iphone.

Sonos listen to your customers - Strangely they are not an interuption of your work they are the reason for it
Same here. Can it be so hard to search the network for all connected MAC-adresses and then add them as a safe user? Offcourse you should even have the possibility to restrict a certain adress for a while. Come on guys...go for it!
We have two systems in different offices in our work spaces and the VPs speakers should not be controlled by the same people who are controlling the house music in the main reception area. Is there no way for two different people in the same physical location to be on separate planes so their music doesn't get crossed?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Diffrent User Profiles inside one System?. ok i'll try it in english...
why is it impossible to personalizise my sonos. what i mean is, that diffrent users in my house can . only use maybe their play1 but not mine in the living room. in the moment each use can control each sonos system. i hope you understand my bad english
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Secure my sonos on the LAN. I have Sonos in my office as do a few other people who work at the company, and we're all on the same LAN. How can i prevent other people from controlling my speaker (accidentally or on purpose)? A simple password on the device would be nice so no other iphones on the LAN can talk to it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
So this would be a Super User like my idea here: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/super-user-administrator Please merge if appropriate. When can we expect this to be implemented as thread 2yrs old?
Userlevel 2
You can actually also merge it with this one: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/hide_zones_on_any_type_of_controllers_and_unhide_using_a_password It's intended to achieve the same result.
This would be a great idea with user privileges.  I just want it so controllers in individual rooms can only control that room.  Then someone with full admin can group and control all zones together for a party.
This is an old request with a huge number of upvotes.  Sonos says they are listening but are they really?  This is the one feature holding me back from installing Sonos throughout the house.

For example, I wouldn't want little Johnny to accidentally blast his heavy metal in mommy and daddy's room in the middle of the night or vice versa to have mommy and daddy accidentally put on some Barry Manilow in little Johnny's room when they are about to get it on. 
This feature would be such a great addition!
definitely a must for my. why is this feature still not implemented?
A long standing request that deserves to be moved to the top of the list.
I never thought about this before, but a few days ago this missing feature turned out as a really annoying problem for me. All the more I'm surprised that this request is existing for so long and Sonos hasn't reacted yet. As my router does not allow to set up a guest network, all my friends have the key to my network. At my last party they realized that they just have to download the Sonos App to connect to my system. You can imagine what happened. No song was played completely and the music mix was horrible, so the atmosphere at the party. So I really beg you to work on this. As a first step it would be enough to restrict the access to a single room or the whole system to the owner by password. Thank you in advance - and sorry for my english.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Protect code for each group. Hi, I have Sonos with 3 Groups, Garage, Kitchen and Liing room. Is it possible to make a code on each group? The problem is that my small kids is also playing with Sonos and it happen they also play music in the Garage when there is no people there. I want to protect each group with a code.

Br

Åge
It doesn't even need to be as complicated as zones initially - just allow a "PIN / Password" to be set to access the Sonos controller with an option to disable the on speaker button controls. Then the next version can add zoning options. I can't believe that since Sonos launched this has not been implemented - It's basic level security!
Please, this would be a very nice feature!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
If Sonos does this I would like to see it so that:

You could turn it off (as it is now) or on as needed.  I like the idea of being able to pick up any Apple gadget and control the entire Sonos system.  

Maybe a master password that would unlock any Apple gadget so I do not have to find the "master" one?

I agree it can be a pain to let your friends and kids have at it.  But I like how easy it is to use and I am afraid that passwords would make it a pain to use.

Les
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
If Sonos does this I would like to see it so that:

You could turn it off (as it is now) or on as needed.  I like the idea of being able to pick up any Apple gadget and control the entire Sonos system.  

Maybe a master password that would unlock any Apple gadget so I do not have to find the "master" one?

I agree it can be a pain to let your friends and kids have at it.  But I like how easy it is to use and I am afraid that passwords would make it a pain to use.

Les

Well I don't think there is a need of a password. I would do it in this way (sorry if someone already proposed it. I haven't read all the comments):

At installation of the sonos system one controller shall be defined as Master controller. Each time a new controller is added to your system, this must be confirmed on the master controller. At this step you can also define the permissions. You could define it as master controller or limit it to a controller of specific zones or actions.
The current usage would remain the same. You would just have an additional configuration step once per controller.
To even simplify it, one could define a default guest template being used automatically for a new controller.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Pin protection for each zone.. As an electrician and a Sonos installer, my customers want the ability to pin protect particular zones. This would allow them to have zones that their children would not have access to., for example the Master Bedroom zone. Please let me know if this is possible in the programming? Thank you, Cory Tilton owner at Current Electric.
sonos we need an answer for this!

All I want is to be able to lock down zones to approved devices. If non approved devices try and control certain zones they should be asked for a pin code or passcode.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There have been several types of requests for restrictions (party mode, zones, volume, etc).  No additional info from Sonos but they will never comment on future plans.  Never do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But ... I would say the fact they put this thread as Under Consideration is good.  Means they are thinking about it.
Another update to Sonos and still they can't grasp the idea of basic security! Just this thread alone is 3 years old - I think they don't actually understand why people keep on asking for this feature!