Restrict access to certain zones

• 1 September 2012
  • 195 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

195 replies

Please, this would be a very nice feature!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
If Sonos does this I would like to see it so that:

You could turn it off (as it is now) or on as needed.  I like the idea of being able to pick up any Apple gadget and control the entire Sonos system.  

Maybe a master password that would unlock any Apple gadget so I do not have to find the "master" one?

I agree it can be a pain to let your friends and kids have at it.  But I like how easy it is to use and I am afraid that passwords would make it a pain to use.

Les
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

It is very curious to me that such a large thread would not attract Sonos’ attention.This thread has been going for nearly 7 years. In all that time it's attracted only 116 unique posters.

Thank you ratty. These are great statistics. Other statistics I was able to find are 224 replies & 10244 views.
If I do a search of "Feature Request", I find 27 pages. Unfortunately this thread does not show up in there. Is it because it is missing the "Feature Request" tag? Is it possible to add it now?

Anyway, after going through all of them, it seems to be the 3rd thread with most views/replies after Google Assistant and Airplay 2, both of which have been implemented by now.
I think if it could get the "Feature Request" tag, maybe it could catch Sonos' attention
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
If Sonos does this I would like to see it so that:

You could turn it off (as it is now) or on as needed.  I like the idea of being able to pick up any Apple gadget and control the entire Sonos system.  

Maybe a master password that would unlock any Apple gadget so I do not have to find the "master" one?

I agree it can be a pain to let your friends and kids have at it.  But I like how easy it is to use and I am afraid that passwords would make it a pain to use.

Les

Well I don't think there is a need of a password. I would do it in this way (sorry if someone already proposed it. I haven't read all the comments):

At installation of the sonos system one controller shall be defined as Master controller. Each time a new controller is added to your system, this must be confirmed on the master controller. At this step you can also define the permissions. You could define it as master controller or limit it to a controller of specific zones or actions.
The current usage would remain the same. You would just have an additional configuration step once per controller.
To even simplify it, one could define a default guest template being used automatically for a new controller.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do not foresee this at the top of their priority list. From comments we normally see from Sonos they don't like adding user definable restrictions. I think we would see permanent grouping of zones before we see any type of zone/feature restriction ability. Not that I'm against it - frankly I have many times said one of the features I would like to most see is a party mode (particularly restricted features). But I just don't foresee it anytime soon. It just goes against a lot of their minimalistic design philosophy they have stated (miniaml check boxes, user definable options). Hopefully at some point that philosophy changes.
Absolutely! I use sonos in my restaurant/cafe, and we also allow customers to use our wifi network. Short of installing a whole second wireless setup, it basically means that anyone who notices we use sonos can change the music, volume, queue etc at will. Fortunately very few have cottoned on to this, and the most we've had is some regulars adding fairly appropriate tracks here and there, but it's only a matter of time before some pleasant pre-dinner cocktails are interrupted by top volume death metal...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would definitely setup a guest wifi network. Most new routers include
I'm 100% agreed restriction should be an option
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS EVER HAPPENED ???
Any chance something has changed and this is on the horizon.

I have 4 family members and 5 Sonos stations. Music is being changed in common areas faster than any of us would like.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No news. Sonos has never commented if it is ever in this plans.
New to Sonos fist post

This addition would make me buy more Sonos's to, my collection as I would put in my kids rooms
I completely agree with the idea of being able to lock down some zones from some users, either permanently as parental controls or during parties.
Badge
Ryan, thanks for the idea. I've merged it with this existing topic.

Dear Sonos,

I have recently purchased Sonos systems but am very dissapointed to see customers have been requesting this very important feature for literally years, but Sonos has basically ignored it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ryan, thanks for the idea. I've merged it with this existing topic.

Dear Sonos,

I have recently purchased Sonos systems but am very dissapointed to see customers have been requesting this very important feature for literally years, but Sonos has basically ignored it!

Sorry, but if this feature was so important to you why didn't you check it out BEFORE you purchased your system?
Badge
Any news on authorization to the Sonos system?
I could imagine it isn't trivial, since the whole system is very (totally) open. They would have to close down not only the apps, but also all the http commands, adding some kind of authentication 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
How would this work with voice commands? The new next best thing since the last best thing, Alexa, is demanded as a control point. How on earth would you PIN or otherwise that?
Userlevel 2
I would love this feature of limiting the zones used as well! I have a youngster who I would like to keep from acidently using or turning of my art studio's zone when she's using her room zone.
So we are going on 5 years now and we still dont have any way to restrict or password protect the system. I know the SONOS team reads the threads i guess they dont care about their customers needs/wants ? Can we get any kind of update? is this something that you are even looking into ? or can you please just tell us that it's something you are not planning on implementing so we can stop hoping and wishing for it?

Or you could stick to radio silence, that always works...

I agree 100% on the above. For a company that has been around as long as you have you'd think you would listen more to its consumers. This would greatly increase the usability of this product if you could lock it down to just certain accounts or certain passcodes that allowed full access or limited access..
So we are going on 5 years now and we still dont have any way to restrict or password protect the system. I know the SONOS team reads the threads i guess they dont care about their customers needs/wants ? Can we get any kind of update? is this something that you are even looking into ? or can you please just tell us that it's something you are not planning on implementing so we can stop hoping and wishing for it?

Or you could stick to radio silence, that always works...

It's not something they're looking at, the CEO said as much in an interview a couple of years ago, they feel it would make the potential for confusion too likely. What would people do if they forgot the password and couldn't play music on half their zones?
Just coming to this thread for the first time, but I see there are massive numbers of threads along similar lines. We all have the same issue, and it's been discussed on this community for YEARS - yet still nothing form Sonos to allow restricted access, with a master controller/administrator access. How complicated can it be - or are they just not interested in customers with kids?! Maybe if we wait long enough our kids will be grown up and it wont be an issue any more, or a competitor will come out with a system which facilitates this [basic] requirement.
Just coming to this thread for the first time, but I see there are massive numbers of threads along similar lines. We all have the same issue, and it's been discussed on this community for YEARS - yet still nothing form Sonos to allow restricted access, with a master controller/administrator access. How complicated can it be - or are they just not interested in customers with kids?! Maybe if we wait long enough our kids will be grown up and it wont be an issue any more, or a competitor will come out with a system which facilitates this [basic] requirement.

There has been something from Sonos. The CEO definitively stated that he does not want to put pass codes on Sonos. In short, your wish has not been ignored, it has been rejected:

Will Sonos offer some parental controls to dumb down the interface and limit speaker volume?

We had lots of debates about this early on: how do you personalize a controller. With the CR100 and CR200 you don’t really know who’s using it. You can’t really put an identification step up front, it’s just getting in the way of time-to-music. But if we’re on your phone, that’s your phone. So we can start doing things like, maybe you have a mode on the Android controller or the iPhone controller to dumb it down. But that’s the challenge with doing things like parental controls, which one are you using and which one are they using. You can’t put, "hey, type in the three numbers to start using a controller" because that’s going to drive you crazy usability wise, you’ll turn it off and never turn that feature on again.

http://bit.ly/2iMNbLw
Thanks for putting me in the picture. That's sounds like intellectually lazy reasoning to me. If someone wants to add a new controller to the system, why can't that addition be subject to admin approval (if you want to configure the system that way), which could then decide which rooms they do and don't have the right to control, and which content, and what max volume etc? Then there's no need for three digit passwords or "getting in the way of the music" - that's just kicking up sand to avoid doing this despite SO many users wanting it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks for putting me in the picture. That's sounds like intellectually lazy reasoning to me. If someone wants to add a new controller to the system, why can't that addition be subject to admin approval (if you want to configure the system that way), which could then decide which rooms they do and don't have the right to control, and which content, and what max volume etc? Then there's no need for three digit passwords or "getting in the way of the music" - that's just kicking up sand to avoid doing this despite SO many users wanting it.

I guess you could write to the CEO. Sonos publish his mail so you can do that. Might be best to avoid calling him intellectually lazy though..........
This is so disappointing, I want to share the ability to build a playlist with my friends but when the play now option is used too often (whether on purpose or by accident), it makes me want to turn the share feature off altogether.

Hopefully this will be considered in the future as so many users are interested in it.