Party Mode is a problem. We need ability to create multiple groups of rooms!

Userlevel 3
We spend a lot of time grouping and ungrouping rooms. The issue is stems from my wife's use of Party Mode. She likes to use Party Mode while she is cooking. I ungroup the outside speakers so as not to offend the neighbors. I ungroup the upstairs when the kids go to bed. I turn everything off and then create a new group to set the morning alarm. In the morning, I create a group in the kitchen and family room to read the paper. There has to be a better way! Why can't we just create groups of rooms and label them something easy to remember like "Cooking", "Kids in bed", "Alarm" or "Morning Coffee"?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

Badge
So.... Six years later, still no response from Sonos in this? Apart from the fact that as many have stated before this should be pretty basic functionality, and I have not seen a real reason for not implementing this (there are several different solutions to the "one player is in more than one group" issue) the complete lack of response on the issue is quit baffling.

Can anyone comment on the availability of this feature on competetor's products like HEOS?

So.... Six years later, still no response from Sonos in this? Apart from the fact that as many have stated before this should be pretty basic functionality, and I have not seen a real reason for not implementing this (there are several different solutions to the "one player is in more than one group" issue) the complete lack of response on the issue is quit baffling.

Can anyone comment on the availability of this feature on competetor's products like HEOS?

So really what is the problem here Sonos? I have 7 speakers in different rooms . All I want is the ability to have different groupings . We just added bedroom speaker and noww I’m in the doghouse because twice I missed ungrouping bedroom from the speaker group..  y wife was sleeping in because she was working late shift..this is a 6 year old request. Can some one explain in layman terms why this is not available . As many have said this seems like a no brainer. Don’t get me wrong love the system hence 7 speakers but come on man fess up what is the problem?

So really what is the problem here Sonos? I have 7 speakers in different rooms . All I want is the ability to have different groupings . We just added bedroom speaker and noww I’m in the doghouse because twice I missed ungrouping bedroom from the speaker group..  y wife was sleeping in because she was working late shift..this is a 6 year old request. Can some one explain in layman terms why this is not available . As many have said this seems like a no brainer. Don’t get me wrong love the system hence 7 speakers but come on man fess up what is the problem?

Sonos never comments on future functionality.  Not what you want to hear, but that’s the case.

And in my experience, those who use the words “no brainer” about software development know nothing about software development, and even less about the specific software they want to be developed.  Been in Software Engineering for 30 years, not once have I ever looked at some other company’s software product and said the words “no brainer”.  I’m simply not arrogant enough to think I know the underlying design, although I can probably make a more educated guess than 90% of the population at large (and still, I don’t say it).  

I meant no disrespect. This thread is six years old with many commenting about this lack of functionality that many expected out of the box( me included). Yet no real explanation that makes any sense. It’s a very clumsy setup right now and I like many would like it addressed in some way positive or not. 

I don’t think anyone from SONOS actually monitors any of these discussions -- it’s a distraction to try to minimize their phone support costs.

The Mac software wants to update every week, but I haven’t seen a single additional feature since I installed my system (8 units) three years ago. UX still sucks.