News from BBC regarding BBC Sounds and Shoutcast streams

• 3 November 2022
  • 64 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

This would likely apply only to the UK … unless you use a vpn to get BBC Sounds on Sonos.  

Currently in the USA you can listen to the BBC Radio stations via TuneIn.

And not sure that BBC Sounds in the UK on Sonos uses Shoutcast…. but thought i would post it for general information

I heard the announcement today after a news program. 

the link below is on the BBC website 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/recent-changes-to-bbc-sounds/shoutcast-closure

The BBC uses several streaming technologies to deliver BBC Sounds. If you are hearing a message informing of this change, you are listening using Shoutcast. The BBC will stop supporting Shoutcast by mid-2023. 

Why are we making these changes? 

Shoutcast is an older streaming technology and many connected radio devices in the UK no longer use it. Ending support for Shoutcast will enable us to focus on the two most popular technologies currently used – HLS and DASH. As well as delivering better value, it will allow us to understand more on how our content is consumed. This forms part of our strategy for BBC Sounds and is important to help us improve the services we offer to our listeners.  

We informed manufacturers and other service providers of this change in May 2022. 

I hear the message – what should I do? 

If you are using an internet radio or smart speaker, please contact the manufacturer. It might be possible for the device to be updated to use another of our supported streams.  

If you can hear the message when listening to BBC services via the web or mobile phone, please listen on BBC Sounds instead. 

Other ways to listen to BBC Sounds on a Hi-Fi 

There are multiple ways to listen to BBC Sounds on your Hi-Fi. If you hear the message when listening on your Hi-Fi, please contact your manufacturer. Additionally, you might find our FAQ useful – How can I get BBC Sounds on my Hi-Fi?

Corry P 1 year ago

Hi All

I have an update:

The BBC are making changes to the way they distribute BBC radio services.  We recommend that if you are listening in the UK you add the BBC Sounds content service to your Sonos app for continued uninterrupted listening. If you are not in the UK we recommend you install the BBC Sounds app on your mobile and cast to your Sonos device. For further information please see here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/recent-changes-to-bbc-sounds/shoutcast-closure

The BBC are removing all of their content from TuneIn (and therefore Sonos Radio) in mid-2023 - although they are switching to different technologies, they are not doing so on TuneIn, which contradicts the assumption I now realise I made. My apologies for any confusion. 

To be clear, if you are outside the UK, then the only ways to play BBC content will be through the BBC Sounds app for your smartphone or tablet - this can then be sent to Sonos via AirPlay, Bluetooth or Line-In, if you have compatible players - or with the Alexa BBC Sounds skill which will also work, and play on Sonos, but multiroom playback will not be supported.

UK listeners should add BBC Sounds to their Sonos system.

I realise this will not be what many of you wanted to hear, but I can only recommend feeding back to the BBC - this is not under our control.

View original

64 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I set this up tonight and it works beautifully … Thank you to the geniuses who created this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi,

just to confirm, if you are in the UK then nothing will change in terms of access to BBC streams - you can access all live and on-demand content via the BBC Sounds on Sonos integration.

Outside the UK, where BBC Sounds on Sonos is not currently available, you’ll be able to get BBC streams (HLS) via TuneIn but possibly not via some other aggregators who can’t move off Shoutcast. The Shoutcast streams will stop working in June.

(for info, I work on BBC Sounds)

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

just to confirm, if you are in the UK then nothing will change in terms of access to BBC streams - you can access all live and on-demand content via the BBC Sounds on Sonos integration.

Outside the UK, where BBC Sounds on Sonos is not currently available, you’ll be able to get BBC streams (HLS) via TuneIn but possibly not via some other aggregators who can’t move off Shoutcast. The Shoutcast streams will stop working in June.

(for info, I work on BBC Sounds)

A few months ago, one of the SONOS members here wrote this 

“The BBC are removing all of their content from TuneIn (and therefore Sonos Radio) in mid-2023 - although they are switching to different technologies, they are not doing so on TuneIn”

What you wrote contradicts that…  

So to be clear 

The statement below : is it true or false?

TuneIn in the US will continue to have BBC Radio stations available to select via the TuneIn Service on the Sonos app

Would you be able to confirm that statement? 

Thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

That statement is correct

Badge

How about the other Radio Portals that offer a Sonos API?  🙏🏾 🙏 🙏🏼 🙏🏿 🙏🏻 🙏🏾 🙏🏽

Until yesterday (Aug 3, 2023) when I had BBC6 (6 Music) on my Sonos Favorites at the top!!! via TuneIn (old API) I was able to listen. I signed up to TuneIn Premium ($) and when I replace the favorite slot with the BBC6 on TuneIn “New” API I was floored as “6 Music” was not available! I try back on TuneIn Old API and no longer it was available❗BBC announced this way in advance. SONOS AND TUNEIN WERE INFORMED THIS WOULD HAPPEN MONTHS IN ADVANCE. Loyal customers were given assurance both firms were ready for this change. IT SPEAKS tons about their leaders that there was advance warning and now both are washing their hands. BBC stations (other than Worldwide Service) are unavailable on Sonos via: TuneIn, MyTunerRadio, & derivatively SonosRadio, damn! 

One wishes Sonos gatekeepers and decision makers took this seriously as there are TENS OF THOUSANDS of BBC active listeners around the world and in the Sonos client base waiting for answers beyond Airplay and Chromecast, which adds steps and is prone to glitchy breaks (I have really good broadband and a descent phone). They (Sonos & Tunein, etc) should take it seriously enough to send a press release or include updates on the topic in their tsunami of promotional newsletters. 

#IwantMyBBC 
🌏🌎🌍  ❗ASAP ❕

How many threads will you be posting this on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you temporarily move your country of residence in your Sonos profile to the UK, you can instal BBC Sounds in the Sonos app…..

Badge

Thanks @106rallye  I’m in the States. I tried your suggestion; I used a real UK address from a friend who I have visited. I changed from computer (chrome). I logged out on app (iOS), logged back in hoping that would refresh the update. Settings / Services & Voice / Music & Content /+ Add a Service / search BBC Sounds or Sounds or BBC ...nothing. 

Additional advice before I re-update address? 
… as I have other services that may not work in UK. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks @106rallye  I’m in the States. I tried your suggestion; I used a real UK address from a friend who I have visited. I changed from computer (chrome). I logged out on app (iOS), logged back in hoping that would refresh the update. Settings / Services & Voice / Music & Content /+ Add a Service / search BBC Sounds or Sounds or BBC ...nothing. 

Additional advice before I re-update address? 
… as I have other services that may not work in UK. 

It can take up to 24 hours for the country account change to get picked up by the app, to enable BBC Sounds. As has been described many times...

Badge

Thanks @controlav. I’d never had the need to edit country of residence on Sonos, so as a time-optimizer, obviously I had not searched, nor paid any attention to such descriptions. 

Badge

@106rallye + @controlav it worked! it worked! You don’t know how happy this makes me and my family avid BBC6, BBC1 (+R, D, Extra) + BBC 4 (& Extra) listeners! Out of the box doing & patience, such are the lessons. Thanks for your help. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I tried the Links from John B’s Post above, and realised the links were for teh UK streams, so didn’t work for me (you can see “UK” is mentioned in the url.

This page contains the links to the Worldwide streams (“nonuk” is in the URLs)
https://en.everybodywiki.com/List_of_BBC_radio_stream_URLs

So BBC Radio 1 is: http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_low/ak/bbc_radio_one.m3u8

Rather than John’s link of http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_med/ak/bbc_radio_one.m3u8

sbr_Low (96 Kbps) is the highest they go for non-uk streams

Thx John for the pointer though.

Please note that as of June 15 2023 the shoutcast streams are dead. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

If you temporarily move your country of residence in your Sonos profile to the UK, you can instal BBC Sounds in the Sonos app…..

temporarily?  

you can set up BBC Sounds and then change your country back?  or you need to leave it as UK?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’ve changed it back. BBC sounds is still working on Sonos…..