Answered

M1 Mac Support

• 12 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Looking for some indication that Sonos is working on M1/M2 support for their desktop app. And BTW I sincerely hope Sonos is planning on feature parity for the desktop app as well.  

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 13 March 2023, 02:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Indeed, given that both desktop notes are in maintenance mode, with bug fixes only, and has been discussed in other forum threads before, it’s unlikely that an ‘M1\M2’ native app would be produced in the near future. 

Userlevel 7

Looking for some indication that Sonos is working on M1/M2 support for their desktop app. And BTW I sincerely hope Sonos is planning on feature parity for the desktop app as well.  

Exactly wha issue(s) are you experiencing with the Sonos app and your M1 Mac? I have an M1 MacBook Pro 13 Inch and have no issues with the desktop version.

The Sonos desktop app was relegated to just a music player several years ago. Sonos (as far as I can guess) has no plans to re-instate features that it once had in common with the iOS app (i.e. Sonos system setup and speaker integration).

When Sonos first made the decision to downgrade the desktop app there were many complaints (and they still exist to a small degree). The main one being the lost of screen real estate for better viewing. In those days the Sonos app had very little integration with AI Animation. Every step had to interpreted (i.e read) on screen and of course the screen on an iPhone was smaller than it is today. If you had an iPad navigating the Sonos app was marginally better.

That’s all I can offer. However, give us specifics regarding the issues you are having with the Sonos desktop app and your M1. BTW you can’t get the Mac version at the App store. You can download it on Sonos.con here

Edit: I use both Apple Music and SiriusXM on all my Apple devices.

Badge

I have an M1 MacBook pro and have used a hard drive as my local music library since I first got into Sonos last year.

You have to format the hard drive to an apple format though, not NTFS or exFAT as I understand.

I also believe that the desktop app is not a priority as their focus is mobile app.