iTunes playlists not updating

• 1 May 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

I’ve recently realized that Sonos is not updating my iTunes playlist when I “Update Music Library”. New songs are added, but no changes to the Imported Playlists. I know there’s the 65K limit, and I know that there WAS a trick to remove iTunes playlists from the indexing if you added a “- “ to the beginning of the playlist name. Is this still true? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nystrom37 

It’s likely we put it there because that’s where iTunes would put it. Perhaps the speakers scan both folders - I’m not sure.

Still, I’m glad you’re now able to play your playlists.

Userlevel 2

I did rename the folder to “iTunes” (from “iTunes 1”). I also had to change the Sonos Music Library Setting to “/Users/nystrom37/Music” (it used to be “iTunes Media”). Snapshot below of directory. Still kind of strange how Sonos is working… points to Music, but puts the iTunes Music Library.xml in the ‘iTunes” directory.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nystrom37 

Have you successfully renamed the folder and are now therefore getting your playlists?

I shall have to try and remember this technicality - I presumed it went by whatever path is set in the iTunes/Music app. Thanks for reporting!

Userlevel 2

Update… the ghost just haunted me… looks like it MUST be “iTunes” and not “iTunes 1” as the directory. Sonos ONLY looks specifically for a “iTunes” directory to create the “iTunes Music Library.xml” file. If the directory isn’t there, Sonos doesn’t create it, and therefore you have no playlists.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nystrom37 

Good news - thanks for coming back and updating the thread!

I just looked up what the .itl file is for, and while it does relate to playlists, I’m pretty sure we don’t read that file so I don’t quite get why that worked for you, but I’m glad it did!

You would need to change the folder name from within the Apple Music application for it to stick, I think. Then remove and replace the folder share in Sonos’ Music Library settings afterwards.

Anyway - happy listening! Hopefully, all will be fine, but if the issue does come back, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

Userlevel 2

Just in case someone else has the same kind of problem… I found the solution… For both the “iTunes Library.xml” AND the “iTunes Library.itl”, I had to rename them to “iTunes Library Backup”. Then I did the re-index… it worked… and by the way, the “- “ trick still works…. I also TRIED to change the folder prefix from “iTunes 1” to “iTunes”, but it did NOT work. It continued trying to use “iTunes 1” when it indexed (I can’t understand why), so just changed it back. Summary… I got it to work, but still some scratching of the head, and guessing this situation will come back to haunt me in the future

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nystrom37 

Ok, this is why I suggested renaming instead of deleting. If you rename the file back to it’s original name and re-index, the playlists you did have before will return.

As to getting newer playlists to show, I recommend you now get in touch with our technical support team (I recommend a phone call in the first instance) who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to remotely connect via your computer and hopefully resolve this for you.

If it were me, though, my next angle of attack would be looking into the fact that the iTunes folder is named “iTunes 1” rather than “iTunes” - I would make sure that all apps (iTunes/Apple Music and Sonos) agree on this pathname.

I would also recommend amalgamating the “Previous iTunes Libraries” folder.

Ah - one last though before I finish for the day: if Sonos is being pointed to “iTunes Media” rather than “iTunes 1”, that might explain why the file isn’t being created in the same location as the file you renamed. I would consolidate the folders as mentioned in the previous paragraph before changing this, however, or you may get duplicate entries for some files (depending on what is actually in that folder).

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

Interesting… I renamed the xlm file, and did a re-index. Now I have zero imported playlists in Sonos. And I don’t see a new xlm file?!?! The attached image is my directory after the re-index…. Note that my iTunes/Apple Music library is the iTunes Media directory (highlighted).. Any thoughts? Something is missing but I can’t figure it out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nystrom37 

Thanks for your post!

I’m not aware of the “trick” you describe, but it sounds like the opposite of what you want to achieve.

iTunes (back when it was called iTunes) used to maintain a file called iTunes Music Library.xml which contained the playlists. Apple Music (the new name for iTunes) does not maintain this file anymore, but Sonos speakers still look for it in order to import the playlists. Therefore, the Sonos app (Windows or macOS) will now create that file during the indexing process, if it doesn’t find an existing copy.

I therefore recommend that you find this file in your music folder and rename it (to iTunes Music Library.xml.backup, for example), and then tell Sonos to re-index. This will force the Sonos app to import the playlists from Apple Music and save them to a new copy of this file.

I hope this helps - if it does not, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, and to even remotely connect and assist you directly.