Answered

Crossfade issues on playlist

• 16 April 2023
  • 23 replies

Is anyone experiencing issues with crossfading on playlists. Random songs will play for around 10 seconds and then skip to next song. This happens in different rooms when using either Macbook or IPhone. Streaming service is spotify.

If so is there a fix or do I need to wait for a bug fix update ?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 24 August 2023, 11:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 1

This takes too long Sonos … come on … make crossfade work again … Problem takes several weeks now … 

Exact same (annoying) problem.

I have the same issue. It began immediately after a Sonos update. This is VERY frustrating and the response from Sonos is very disappointing. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @MartinLoofer and welcome to Sonos Community!

We are investigating this issue, but unfortunately do not currently have an ETA to share for the fix.

You can enable crossfading in the Spotify app and stream to Sonos via AirPlay, Bluetooth or Line-In to maintain the crossfade setting.

Note that Spotify Direct Control does not support crossfade, thus is not an option.

Thank you for the post. I will reply here with an update, as soon as I get one.

I’m having the same issue with my Spotify and Sonos crosfade. Every other song or so plays for 10 seconds. Very frustrating. And the response from Sonos is equally disappointing.

I already found Sonos buggy. This is just one of many app failures. 

Same issue here. These arent exactly cheap speakers. I expect a simple very important feature to work. I have to disable crossfade so that it doesnt start a song and skip it after 5 seconds of playing it. EXTREMELY annoying.

Hello @MartinLoofer and welcome to Sonos Community!

We are investigating this issue, but unfortunately do not currently have an ETA to share for the fix.

You can enable crossfading in the Spotify app and stream to Sonos via AirPlay, Bluetooth or Line-In to maintain the crossfade setting.

Note that Spotify Direct Control does not support crossfade, thus is not an option.

Thank you for the post. I will reply here with an update, as soon as I get one.

It’s very annoying that you have launched new speakers but are unable to fix the software that they use. Where are you priorities. I own a total of thirteen speakers. That’s a big investment and too often I’m made to believe I’ve made a mistake.

Experiencing the same issue for more than 2 months now and still not fixed. Not good from Sonos - I would recommend to give this highest priority to get it fixed on shortest notice to keep at least some level of customer satisfaction 

My problem with Spotify is still  ongoing, no sign in sight of a solution from Sonos. However, as I've said before my Deezer Premium works flawlessly?

Userlevel 1
Badge

How is the fix coming along..still having issues

Was told by Sonos its a problem specifically with Spotify. To check I took out a month free trial with Deezer and true enough works perfectly. Sonos and Spotify need to rectify ASAP.

There’s not much Sonos needs to do. Both Deezer and Spotify both use the exact same API supplied by Sonos to send data to the Sonos player running on your speakers. It works fine for Deezer (and every other streaming company), but not for Spotify. Why is that?

Have you communicated your displeasure to Spotify?

I havent since crossfade works fine with Bose Revolve Plus, Mini II and Anker. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MartinLoofer et al

We believe this issue to now be resolved with the most recent update (15.7). Please ensure your Sonos system is up to date.

If you still experience this issue, however, I’d encourage you get in touch with our technical support team to report as much. Thank you.

Right. Crossfade works properly on Sonos with every service other than Spotify, and all streaming services use the exact same API.

Spotify uses different servers to feed the different streams, so comparing the stream in use with Bose, Anker, and Mini II is likely not an overly valuable comparison.

I’m hazarding a guess that it isn’t the Sonos software that needs to be fixed, but the server owned and operated by Spotify. Sonos won’t throw a partner under the bus, but I’m suggesting that you’re more likely to get traction, as a paying customer of Spotify, if you were to complain to them. 

However, you’ve certainly made your displeasure known here. If indeed it is a Sonos issue, I’m certain your post will add motivation to get the issue fixed. 

Come on now Sonos people.
Pay someone to sit down and fix this. 

How is the fix coming along..still having issues

You’d think they were trying to get into space. 🚀 

I agree this crossfade issue is absolutely ridiculous. Two of the biggest players in their respective industry and they can’t resolve it. Note I got the contact info listed below from their respective websites, so I can’t guarantee accuracy of the email addresses, which is why I sent a copy of my email by US mail as well.  At a minimum, I hope we get a response and ideally a solution ASAP.

BY FIRST CLASS MAIL and Email:

July 11, 2023

Patrick Spence, President & CEO

SONOS.

614 Chapala St

Santa Barbara, CA 93101

patrick.spence@sonos.com

Daniel Ek, CEO

Spotify

4 World Trade Center

150 Greenwich Street, 62nd Floor

New York, NY 10007

daniel@spotify.com

Dear Messrs. Spence and Ek,

I doubt you are directly aware of the above-referenced crossfade issue when streaming Spotify on Sonos. I also doubt that you will receive this note directly, but I do hope someone on your respective executive teams will give it their attention and resolve the issue. Please know that I am a longtime customer, with 12 Sonos products (Sonos ID ***) and a Spotify Premium user (Username: ***) since 2013.

The issue (which began in April for me) is that when streaming Spotify on Sonos, the crossfade feature no longer works properly. At the end of a song, the next song fades in as expected, but then after five seconds or so, is replaced by another song.  This is so frustrating to me and a number of your customers, as noted in the Sonos Community: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-228995/crossfade-issues-on-playlist-6882042 .

The community has been waiting long enough. Your attention to this issue is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ernest Chico Rosemond

A Frustrated Sonos/Spotify Customer

Moderator note: User account ID’s redacted for user protection

I hope you sent a similar mail to the CEO of Spotify, since, at best guess, the issue resides on their side / servers. If it were a Sonos issue, all streaming companies should be equally impacted, since they all use the same Sonos API. 

So it is only the number one streaming service that has an issue with this functionality on the Sonos app? 

If crossfade works properly on Sonos with other services but not with Spotify, it suggests that the issue might be how Sonos' software interacts specifically with Spotify. This could be something specific to the integration between Sonos and Spotify that needs to be addressed. Therefore, it might be more of a joint issue that both Spotify and Sonos need to investigate and rectify together. I’ll contact Spotify as well.

Same problem here. Just off phone to Sonos and although very apologetic and helpful cannot resolve as they are currently investigating. Very annoying and frustrating. 

Same issue, please share a fix date. Thx