BBC Sounds on Sonos and Android

• 18 March 2020
  • 15 replies

Hi All

I know theres alot of chat about direct access via the bbc sounds app. 

I have a samsung tv connected to my sonos system using the optic cable. 

I play the app on my samsung pad and then mirror the pad on the tv which then plays BBC sounds through the sonos system. It works

Pretty poor that for such an expensive sound system that we have to go around the houses to just get a sound out of it, when it is so easy to do on a cheap alternitive system that can be had for half the price.

If BBC doesn't want to join with sonos then there must be a big reason for this that sonos aren't letting on about ie money/security/

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

I look at it more as a BBC unwilling to work with outside companies. Since no one but U.K. users pay to get the content, they really don’t have much incentive to help other companies carry their streams.  They’d prefer to keep it as much in their own apps as possible. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

The BBC made it quite clear with tunein radio that they were not willing to allow access to BBC Radio stations if the interface couldn't provide accurate usage statistics, then they were not willing for their radio stations to work on that platform. 

I guess that the same applies with BBC Sounds. 

If the BBC wont work with the interface, there's no point blaming Sonos. That's the same as blaming Sonos for the lack of an interface with BT Cloud, or Microsoft One Drive, or Apple changing their operating system to prevent use of the on this device option.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

see red box at bottom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/supported-devices/sonos-airplay

“We're looking into ways of making it possible to use the BBC Sounds app through Sonos from Android devices.”

Don’t know how long they have been looking tho……..

BBC sounds is looking into making sounds available via android devices. Now 4 months on still looking and no solution visible!

The BBC have managed to integrate the Sounds app with Sonos on iOS, why not Android which is a larger user base? Perhaps more Sonos owners are iOS owners. I'm an Android owner though and want to use Sounds with Sonos.

I like my Sonos system and also BBC content. Come on BBC and Sonos, Spotify managed to integrate Android and Sonos.

I

The BBC have managed to integrate the Sounds app with Sonos on iOS, why not Android which is a larger user base? Perhaps more Sonos owners are iOS owners. I'm an Android owner though and want to use Sounds with Sonos.

I like my Sonos system and also BBC content. Come on BBC and Sonos, Spotify managed to integrate Android and Sonos.

Absolute rubbish. Sounds isn't integrated into iOS at all.  The BBC has done nothing on this.  It's just that Apple has Airplay and there is no corresponding casting solution for Android on Sonos.

Userlevel 1

If Sonos added Chromecast support it would solve the problem.

BBC is the least accessible of all radio stations and early generation Sonos adopts whose products are not Airplay compatible have been left behind.

saying that though, the fault lies at the door of the BBC and not Sonos. Adding a BBC Sounds app to Sonos would solve the problem for all users. Or just load every programme on to Mixcloud. Both solutions democratically fair and accessible to all.

Wake up BBC!

Userlevel 1

Surely the simple solution is to add Chromecast support to Sonos, then it doesn’t matter who the developer or source is (it would fix the problem for the BBC and countless other services/apps).  The Sounds app already supports Airplay and Chromecast, but Sonos only supports Airplay and not Chromecast.  The other advantage of Chromecast is that you could then listen to BBC Sounds podcasts and rewind or re-listen to older shows.

Userlevel 2

Not a solution for all users but you can play BBC Sounds through the Sonos Move using Bluetooth.

Or use the Alexa app on your Android phone or tablet to access BBC Sounds and play it on your Sonos system

Hi

It may not be 2021 but this what we do:

1. Find the old Sonos 5 Gen 1

2. Downgrade all system to Sonos 1

3. Plug phone in back of Sonos 5

I try not to get cross everytime I have to do it.

Sorry my reply wasn't accurate - I meant to say that I've configured my Echo dot to use my Sonos speakers as the default speaker (using my Android tablet). So now I just ask Alexa on my Echo dot to open up BBC Sounds and ask for whichever station or programme I want to listen to, and it plays through my Sonos.

Why is there no Chromecast support for Sonos? It’s putting me off buying anymore of their devices. 

Sorry my reply wasn't accurate - I meant to say that I've configured my Echo dot to use my Sonos speakers as the default speaker (using my Android tablet). So now I just ask Alexa on my Echo dot to open up BBC Sounds and ask for whichever station or programme I want to listen to, and it plays through my Sonos.

Thank you for this. Totally solved the problem. I just ask Alexa on my Sonos Beam to play a BBC radio station. I would never have thought of that.