Answered

Apple Music and dolby atmos on Sonos

• 10 February 2023
  • 13 replies

Badge

Hi Sonos fan,

I am currently testing in the Sonos apps, Amazon music and Apple music, in order to later choose one of the two for a permanent subscription.

I test both with the same song, (Flowers from Miley Cyrus). With Amazon music, the Dolby Atmos logo is there and the sound starts on the Arc soundbar.

With Apple music, if the sound comes directly to the iPad, the Dolby Atmos logo is there, but when I change the destination on my Sonos system, the Dolby Atmos logo disappears and the song starts on the two One SL speakers behind me.

So I wonder if Dolby Atmos with Apple music wouldn't be compatible with Sonos, but only in stereo mode?

It is curious to note that the same song is broadcast in different ways on my sonos system (Arc SL, two One SL, Sub gen 3), with amazon mainly on the arc, and with apple, mainly on the two one sl .

Thanks

icon

Best answer by jgatie 10 February 2023, 17:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

When looking at the Sonos App, I don’t see the Dolby Atmos logo when listening on my Sonos Era 300, but do see the logo when I select my Sonos Beam Gen 2.  Any ideas on how to get spatial audio through my Sonos Era 300?

Add apple Music as a service to Sonos.  Then within the Sonos app go to Apple Music.  There are specific Atmos folders.  

Some things to try.  Fleetwood Mac, Rumours and Pink Floyd DSOTM.  Lots of newer stuff.

Atmos doesn't work over Airplay 2

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@logib Which speakers do you mean by “the legacy Sonos speakers”?

The articles that discuss this say that Apple Music Atmos will play on the new ERA speakers and Arc and  Beam 2, the two “legacy” speakers that support Atmos.

I’d be keen to understand if my Beam and pair of Play 3s will manage Apple Music in Atmos. The 3’s are obviously fairly old but this setup works in Atmos for Amazon Music Unlimited so not sure what would prevent it from working with Apple.

Edit - I meant in terms of using all three as surround sound.

From six days ago:

Sonos has confirmed that its speakers will support Apple Music's Dolby Atmos playback from March 28th. You won't need the new Era 300 to experience the more immersive format, either. Sonos also says the Arc and second-gen Beam soundbars will also handle spatial audio tracks.

https://www.engadget.com/sonos-speakers-will-support-apple-music-spatial-audio-starting-march-28th-161505844.html#:~:text=Sonos%20has%20confirmed%20that%20its,also%20handle%20spatial%20audio%20tracks.

No article I’ve read mentions the UHD/HD. It does sound logical, since Sonos supports it from Amazon, and Apple Music provides it to its speakers.  But that is pure speculation.  Possible is not probable.

Badge +2

@logib Which speakers do you mean by “the legacy Sonos speakers”?

Speakers on the S2 app apart from the new Era’s

Badge +2

The articles that discuss this say that Apple Music Atmos will play on the new ERA speakers and Arc and  Beam 2, the two “legacy” speakers that support Atmos.

Yeah I read that too, so I'm assuming no Sonos One “legacy” support?

Dolby Atmos music is only available from Amazon Music Unlimited on Sonos. 

Badge

Thanks, 

I just receive a reply also from Sonos on twitter, with Apple Music, have to use Apple TV4k for Dolby atmos. I have apple tv 4K but I don’t want to use that each time for music. So not a choice, have to take subscription from Amazon unlimited music.

When looking at the Sonos App, I don’t see the Dolby Atmos logo when listening on my Sonos Era 300, but do see the logo when I select my Sonos Beam Gen 2.  Any ideas on how to get spatial audio through my Sonos Era 300?

How is the Era 300 setup within your system? Is it standalone, paired, bonded with a Sub or Sonos HT product, or grouped with other speakers etc? - What audio source are you using (Apple Music/Amazon Music?) and how is the audio being played to the speaker, is it via the Sonos App, or Airplay etc? Have you waited a minute or two and also tried playing different tracks to see if the ‘Atmos’ badge does show up at any point on the ‘Now Playing’ screen?

Badge +2

From six days ago:

Sonos has confirmed that its speakers will support Apple Music's Dolby Atmos playback from March 28th. You won't need the new Era 300 to experience the more immersive format, either. Sonos also says the Arc and second-gen Beam soundbars will also handle spatial audio tracks.

https://www.engadget.com/sonos-speakers-will-support-apple-music-spatial-audio-starting-march-28th-161505844.html#:~:text=Sonos%20has%20confirmed%20that%20its,also%20handle%20spatial%20audio%20tracks.

Does it mean we’ll get Apple Music Ultra HD/HD on the legacy Sonos speakers similar to Amazon Music come 28th March?