9.0 Version App Keeps Freezing

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

99 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I've just contacted sonos with the message bellow as i am beyond disappointment with 9.0.
Hi since 9.0 my sonos system as been horrible to use. The app constantly freezes and keeps skipping songs I've checked every thing the wifi is on channel 6 the sonos net is on channel 11 i have even given them static ip addresses. How can I go back to the last update as i wish i had never don't the update? I have no use for airplay with sonos I would rather have the hardware control. You need to have an option to select between hard where control and airplay.
I have submitted a diagnosis 1724113456.

I feel sonos have penalised people that have brought into the system just to give airplay connectivity to someone that just has one standalone speaker.
I have 13 sonos speakers and no issues of Sonos App freezing, but I am interested to know what model of iOS devices are in use by the folk who are experiencing this problem and how much free space is remaining on that device? .. just trying to see if there is any pattern to this issue?

Also if the iOS device has the Apple 'WiFi Assist' feature enabled or disabled?
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I am using an iPad Air2 and have over 80GB free. I have no idea what Apple WiFi Assist is so assume that’s something particular to the iPhone?
My iOS is up to date
I am using an iPad Air2 and have over 80GB free. I have no idea what Apple WiFi Assist is so assume that’s something particular to the iPhone?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296

My iOS is up to date
Does this mean v11.4.1 or iOS 12.3 Beta?
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296

My iOS is up to date
Does this mean v11.4.1 or iOS 12.3 Beta?

I’m on 11.4.1 and there’s no cellular in my iPad so it just uses my WiFi. My Sonos App doesn’t freeze but it is sometimes buggy in operation as I described above. It usually happens if I let the iPad screen go into standby and then wake it up with the sonos app still showing full screen.
JohnG666,

Does it make any difference if you have 'background app refresh' turned on or turned off for the Sonos App in the iOS 'Settings/General/Background App Refresh' area?

Might be worth just testing that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
JohnG666,

Does it make any difference if you have 'background app refresh' turned on or turned off for the Sonos App in the iOS 'Settings/General/Background App Refresh' area?

Might be worth just testing that.

I did originally have it turned off for the Sonos app when I had problems with it changing the zone itself to a different one so I enabled background refresh a few weeks ago. This latest problem of it getting in a mess was with background refresh enabled.
JohnG666,

That’s interesting, as I don’t have the screen-freeze issue and I have also turned off 'background app refresh' for all my iOS Apps. I will switch it on and see what happens.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Well the plot thickens. This morning I went into my office and noticed that according to my CR200 controller, the ZP90 in there was already playing a tunein radio station. I believe this has been playing since I had the app go funny on me a few days ago. Because the amp it was connected to wasn’t on, then there’s no way of telling that it’s playing. This to me is more than unreliable, it’s now becoming unusable and untrustworthy.

When I had previous problems with the iPad app it mysteriously changed the zone it was controlling to that ZP90 in the office and started controlling that instead. This time when it went wrong I checked to make sure it was still controlling the lounge paired Play1 speakers and it was, so I don’t know how it managed to screw up and start the office zone playing.

I wish Sonos would stop putting all these updates out and get back to how they used to be and make sure everything works properly before they release. I fear the software and the whole system is now far too complex and causing more and more problems for users.

I wish I’d have taken Sonos up on their offer of buying all my gear back because I feel I can’t trust it any more.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I think I can recreate this issue at will now. Just had another go and once again the ipad app gets in a mess and won’t stop my lounge zone playing and it thinks it’s set the office zone playing. If I change rooms to the office zone it tells me it can’t connect to it -even though it’s displaying it and the CR200 controller can control it with no problem.

If I then change rooms back to the lounge, the ipad app will then successfully stop it playing.

I use the Browse option to select a radio station to play.
Then bring up the now playing part of the screen.
Then stop playback
Then leave the ipad and let it go into sleep mode itself
Later fire up the ipad and press play on the sonos app which is still showing full screen from the last session
Now press stop and it doesn’t stop playback of the lounge zone
I then have to change rooms a couple of times for it to then get back in sync
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

Due to the nature of this issue it would be best to have our phone team take a look as they have more tools at their disposal and can troubleshoot this live. Please give us a call, our phone number and hours can be found here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Hi folks,

Due to the nature of this issue it would be best to have our phone team take a look as they have more tools at their disposal and can troubleshoot this live. Please give us a call, our phone number and hours can be found here.

My problem isn't on a phone, it's on an iPad. I'm finding the Sonos system at the moment is not fit for purpose as you've done away with my CR100 and left me with an iPad app that is not reliable and prone to starting zones playing without my knowledge. I tried the Android app on my Samsung phone but that just drained the battery so I uninstalled it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

My problem isn't on a phone, it's on an iPad. I'm finding the Sonos system at the moment is not fit for purpose as you've done away with my CR100 and left me with an iPad app that is not reliable and prone to starting zones playing without my knowledge. I tried the Android app on my Samsung phone but that just drained the battery so I uninstalled it.

I'm not aware of any issue affecting all iPad controllers, mine works fine, for example. Either way, our phone team should be able to help.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Hi folks,

I'm not aware of any issue affecting all iPad controllers, mine works fine, for example. Either way, our phone team should be able to help.

Mine used to work fine until some time this year and then the iPad app became worse to use requiring more presses to do simple things and now it’s unreliable and could be dangerous if I don’t know a zone player has been playing constantly for days without me knowing. Not only is it using electricity over all those days it’s also potentially making the ZP90 very hot.

I’m coming to the conclusion I don’t want to use this system any more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue with 9.0. App freezes when phone sleeps, after switching to a different app then back to Sonos, and while doing something in the app itself without switching or sleeping. Submitted diagnostics: Your confirmation number is: 915440005.
Using iPhone 8 with 209GB available memory.

Thanks for sending in the report. I don't see why the app is freezing, but it does look like your phone is connecting to a different wireless network than your Sonos units. Do you have it set to connect to multiple networks? It's possible that the app is freezing when the phone switches networks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
It's happened again on mine. Same as above. Let iPad go into sleep mode and then wake up and the Sonos app has lost track of what is playing. Whilst I was searching through the menus for the submit diagnostic option it came up with the splash screen over the top of the app as if it was reloading it and then it did know that the lounge was playing and allowed me to stop play there.

Diagnostic code is 1524332199
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It's happened again on mine. Same as above. Let iPad go into sleep mode and then wake up and the Sonos app has lost track of what is playing. Whilst I was searching through the menus for the submit diagnostic option it came up with the splash screen over the top of the app as if it was reloading it and then it did know that the lounge was playing and allowed me to stop play there.

Thanks for the report. It's not clear why this is happening from the report. Please reach out to our phone team who can take a look at this live. Our phone number and hours are found here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thanks for the report. It's not clear why this is happening from the report. Please reach out to our phone team who can take a look at this live. Our phone number and hours are found here.

Those phone hours mean that I've not been able to do so yet because of work commitments!

Edit - I'm lucky that I don't work 5 days a week now but I've no idea how you would expect someone who has a full time job to be able to phone up to have a live session with your phone support team when they are only available during normal work hours.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same issue with 9.0. App freezes when phone sleeps, after switching to a different app then back to Sonos, and while doing something in the app itself without switching or sleeping. Submitted diagnostics: Your confirmation number is: 915440005.
Using iPhone 8 with 209GB available memory.

Thanks for sending in the report. I don't see why the app is freezing, but it does look like your phone is connecting to a different wireless network than your Sonos units. Do you have it set to connect to multiple networks? It's possible that the app is freezing when the phone switches networks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I had along session on the phone with Sonos support today but I don’t have any kind of solution as yet. Interestingly though, whilst I was trying things out during the support call, the Sonos app appeared to crash. It just disappeared from the screen completely and I had to bring it back up again. It has since done it again tonight, so I sent another diagnostic into them.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I had along session on the phone with Sonos support today but I don’t have any kind of solution as yet. Interestingly though, whilst I was trying things out during the support call, the Sonos app appeared to crash. It just disappeared from the screen completely and I had to bring it back up again. It has since done it again tonight, so I sent another diagnostic into them.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks. Also, like yours, mine has also shut itself down but then restarted itself. I can also control it from the controls on the Sonos device itself, while the app is frozen.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Because of the problems I've had with the ios app, I installed the app on my Android phone and strangely enough that has started up on the office zone 3 times yesterday rather than the lounge zone that it was on when I closed the app down.

I've kept support updated again but it's gone very quiet from the Sonos support end!
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I already have done and they couldn’t tell me what the problem was. I’ve since sent a few more emails to them giving more information but heard absolutely nothing back the last time I checked my email a couple of hours ago.
Hi
I'm having the same problem with an iphone 8 plus and an ipad. It's only been happening for the last few weeks. Once I've chosen a track and volume on the Sonos app, when I open another app and go back to Sonos (to change track or volume), it's frozen. I have to close the app, turn off the phone and open the app again. Very frustrating!