Answered

What Methods are there to use Port and Sub Mini?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Is there any workaround to make this work? I bought a port for ceiling speakers but would like more bass. 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 16 January 2023, 15:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

If you connect a 3rd party subwoofer and the 3rd party speakers to a receiver, PORT’s Volume control can be used. You would need to set the receiver Volume to some fixed value that you’d work out on day one of the lash-up. And, you’d need to work out a scheme to switch the receiver ON and OFF. PORT provides a 12V trigger that could be used to manage an external power switch for the receiver. Many 3rd party amplifiers and powered subwoofers will work with a 12V trigger.

You can “Group” the ONE/SUB “Room” with PORT. They will be time aligned while playing music, there will be a single Volume control for the Group, and you can pop-up individual Volume adjustments for each member of the Group. This lash-up will work fine for day to day use, but the Group will be disbanded during firmware updates and occasionally you’ll need to revisit the individual Room Volumes.

I don’t understand why, if the Port can control the normal speakers hooked to the receiver why wouldn’t it also control the sub hooked to the receiver?

Because you set the receiver to a specific volume (50%) and then use the Sonos App to control the volume so that the sub would be set to the volume of the receiver, but I might have the App to a low volume, and the bass would be very disproportional. This is why the Port does not natively support it. It has no idea what volume level you have the Sonos is set to.

Did you actually test to verify this behavior?  I’ve never seen a receiver manage volume in this way, and I honestly don’t know how it’s even possible.  The Sonos app controls the output volume of the Port, which in turn is the input volume to the receiver.  Your speakers play at a lower volume even though you didn’t change the volume of the receiver  at all, because the input is at a lower volume.  How could a sub attached to the receiver behave any differently than your speakers?  What you’re suggesting is that the sub somehow recognizes that the input volume was lowered, so it decides it needs to automatically play at a higher volume to compensate.

No, I think Stanley is correct.  Your sub volume will raise and lower when you change volume in the Sonos app, the same way your speakers do.  This was the case when I had a port connected to a receiver, and I would be very surprised if the receiver you’re using behaves differently.

I’ll either have to bite the bullet and buy an AMP or a Sonos speaker, which I can pair with it to tell it what volume the music is set to.

I was looking for any other ideas besides buying an AMP or adding a speaker.

You got one.  You might always be able to return your Port and exchange it for an Amp if the Port is a recent purchase.  You could create a second Sonos room with a Sonos One and Sub Mini, and keep the two rooms grouped, but that has some disadvantages too and is only slightly less costly than replacing the Port with an Amp, and defiinitely more expensive than using a 3rd party sub with your receiver.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Did you actually test to verify this behavior?  I’ve never seen a receiver manage volume in this way, and I honestly don’t know how it’s even possible.  The Sonos app controls the output volume of the Port, which in turn is the input volume to the receiver.  Your speakers play at a lower volume even though you didn’t change the volume of the receiver  at all, because the input is at a lower volume.  How could a sub attached to the receiver behave any differently than your speakers?  What you’re suggesting is that the sub somehow recognizes that the input volume was lowered, so it decides it needs to automatically play at a higher volume to compensate.

No, I think Stanley is correct.  Your sub volume will raise and lower when you change volume in the Sonos app, the same way your speakers do.  This was the case when I had a port connected to a receiver, and I would be very surprised if the receiver you’re using behaves differently.

I’ll either have to bite the bullet and buy an AMP or a Sonos speaker, which I can pair with it to tell it what volume the music is set to.

Hello, I only have one subwoofer and it’s the Sonos Sub (large one). I have no experience with subwoofers. You are correct it would be very cost-effective to add a sub to this.z

You are saying all subwoofers would behave this way if the line input was lowered the speaker and sub’s volumes would lower and I’d have a solution? That would be amazing. 

How are you powering the ceiling speakers? MINI would work with AMP.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

How are you powering the ceiling speakers? MINI would work with AMP.

I did not research the Sub or Amp and bought the Port to use with my receiver and speakers. If I had known the AMP could power the four ceiling speakers without any issue, I may have bought that instead. I assumed you needed one Amp per pair of speakers.

AMP will support two pairs of 8-Ohm speakers. If you use in-wall Volume controls to allow adjusting each pair, some of the controls will enable adding more speakers.

Adding a MINI complicates the use of in-wall Volume controls because they will not adjust the MINI.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

AMP will support two pairs of 8-Ohm speakers. If you use in-wall Volume controls to allow adjusting each pair, some of the controls will enable adding more speakers.

Adding a MINI complicates the use of in-wall Volume controls because they will not adjust the MINI.

I don’t have AMP, so I am asking for a solution using Port. Thanks for your ideas on AMP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d hook a conventional sub-woofer to your receiver.

If it does not have a sub-woofer port you can find speaker-level sub-woofers that jusdt go in line with the speakers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’d hook a conventional sub-woofer to your receiver.

If it does not have a sub-woofer port you can find speaker-level sub-woofers that jusdt go in line with the speakers.

I use the Sonos App for volume control, not the receiver. That would be problematic to control the sub’s volume independently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I don’t understand why, if the Port can control the normal speakers hooked to the receiver why wouldn’t it also control the sub hooked to the receiver?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Because you set the receiver to a specific volume (50%) and then use the Sonos App to control the volume so that the sub would be set to the volume of the receiver, but I might have the App to a low volume, and the bass would be very disproportional. This is why the Port does not natively support it. It has no idea what volume level you have the Sonos is set to.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi again, the 3rd party sub does not sound good. I am asking Sonos if I can exchange the Port for the Amp with me paying the difference. Until they answer, I am wondering about using a Sonos speaker I have with the Sub mini. Unfortunately I bought this before the kitchen was ready and it’s been over 30 days so I cannot return it.

New question:

Can I buy the Sub mini and group this with a Sonos One and the Port to create a single-volume slider? The speaker can be in a different room than the sub if need be. It’s a silly workaround, but I’m not sure I want the extra speaker in the room. I could put it on the floor next to the sub for extra sound.

In SONOS lingo a “Room” is a single player, two identical players “Bonded” as a stereo pair, or a soundbar, rear surrounds and subwoofer(s) Bonded together as a surround Room. Rooms can be “Grouped” to play the same source. 

PORT is a Room and cannot support SONOS subwoofers.

Grouped Rooms will be shown with a single Volume control that will adjust all Group members. If you tap that Volume control, you’ll pop-up individual Room Volume adjustments.

Hi.  The reason that everyone is talking about the Amp is that the Sub or Sub Mini cannot be used with a Port.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

In SONOS lingo a “Room” is a single player, two identical players “Bonded” as a stereo pair, or a soundbar, rear surrounds and subwoofer(s) Bonded together as a surround Room. Rooms can be “Grouped” to play the same source. 

PORT is a Room and cannot support SONOS subwoofers.

Grouped Rooms will be shown with a single Volume control that will adjust all Group members. If you tap that Volume control, you’ll pop-up individual Room Volume adjustments.

I understand Port is not going to work. That’s why I am asking about adding a Sonos One to the group so that it can be used to control the Sub Mini.

My main question is, how will that work with this setup? The Sonos One and Sub Mini will be working together, and the Port will be more or less a separate entity. In other words, the volume I set for the Sonos One will determine the Sub Mini and the Port will do nothing for me. To be crystal clear, I cannot mute the Sonos One and expect the sub to do anything.

The reason I am asking all this is I royally messed up and got the Port, not realizing it did not work with a sub. Now it’s too late to return it for the AMP I cannot afford a Port that is not being used, so I am pretty much hosed. I have an extra Sonos One though. If I would have known then that the AMP could power four speakers I may have gone that route. I had no idea you could hook up two speakers to a single-speaker pole on an AMP. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

You can “Group” the ONE/SUB “Room” with PORT. They will be time aligned while playing music, there will be a single Volume control for the Group, and you can pop-up individual Volume adjustments for each member of the Group. This lash-up will work fine for day to day use, but the Group will be disbanded during firmware updates and occasionally you’ll need to revisit the individual Room Volumes.

I have 20+ Sonos devices. I am hoping that Sonos will be beneficent and allow me to exchange the Port for an AMP if I pay the difference. We’ll see what they say. I’ve only had it hooked up for a week. Perhaps they can see that and realize I bought it in advance and would make an exception.