Answered

Using Sonos Connect digital output in a DAC amp

• 15 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Using Sonos Connect as a streamer (digital output) in a DAC amp, why can't I play 96 khz files ?

My DAC can easily convert this file format but Sonos Controller tells me it’s not possible ….

icon

Best answer by jgatie 16 March 2023, 14:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

No other device in my system, just the Sonos Connect in my DAC amp… So I’m wondering if the digital signal, nevertheless, is treated by “Connect” ?

Regardless of how many devices you personally have, Sonos’ core function is as a multi-room streamer and as such it does not support files which cannot be played by all units.

Badge +20

Nope, 

I know that ; you are talking about using analog outputs.

But my Connect serves as a streamer, digital outputs: it should not convert the signal, but let the DAC amp do it and therefore, not be limited for 96 khz

nope Sonos does not support anything higher than 24/48 period.

Edit .. a Bluesound NODE would do what you want.

I would imagine because you could group on the fly with another device which cannot play those files, and dynamic grouping is a core function of the system. 

Try a Wiim Pro. £150 off Amazon. Doesn’t strangle like Sonos . Queuing facility not quite as good but they’re working on it .

They sound better than the connect with an outboard DAC . I couple mine with the Ifi Zen One Signature.

Sonos really need to up their game on this one and fast. 
(forget the Wiim for multi room though as it’s a pita) 

No other device in my system, just the Sonos Connect in my DAC amp… So I’m wondering if the digital signal, nevertheless, is treated by “Connect” ?

Badge +20

Sonos only supports maximum of 24 bits to 48 kHz

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/supported-audio-formats-for-sonos-music-library

I know that ; you are talking about using analog outputs.

But my Connect serves as a streamer, digital outputs: it should not convert the signal, but let the DAC amp do it and therefore, not be limited for 96 khz